Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times

Advertisements

For all fellow truck/SUV owners out there, do you believe having such a vehicle spoils you?

I was mulling this thought around this past Saturday when I was stuck driving a Honda Civic for the better part of my day. I got roped into helping a friend of mine move from an apartment to a small condo he just purchased and was stuck driving his little Civic for an hour. No headroom, no legroom, no power, no visibility, uncomfortable seats, too stiff...was VERY glad to get out of it!

All the way I was thinking how much I'd rather be in my F-150 where I could see vehicles ahead/behind me, the seats are big and comfortable, I have a decent amount of power to pass, and my head isn't hitting the ceiling when I go over a bump!

I really do believe that I'm a bit spoiled by driving a truck, don't think I could ever use a car for a daily driver anymore. Of course I pay for it at the pump but that's a small price to pay to not be cramped for my 30 mile commute. I'd much rather step up in to a vehicle than attempt to crouch down and slide into one all the time. I can see why some enjoy getting great gas mileage but is it really worth it to be uncomfortable in your small car? I would think not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I like having a truck/SUV when I'm carting people or stuff, but they are not my favorite. I'm 6'4" and 240 and I enjoy driving small cars more than trucks. It's odd because I actually feel safer in a car where I generally have better acceleration, braking and handling to get into and out of trouble. The best kind of accident is the one you can avoid. I also like feeling like I'm sitting on the road versus perched above it. My wife is the complete polar opposite of me though and really enjoys having a truck/SUV and while she likes cars that are fast, she hates not being able to see over other cars.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I like having a truck/SUV when I'm carting people or stuff, but they are not my favorite. I'm 6'4" and 240 and I enjoy driving small cars more than trucks. It's odd because I actually feel safer in a car where I generally have better acceleration, braking and handling to get into and out of trouble. The best kind of accident is the one you can avoid. I also like feeling like I'm sitting on the road versus perched above it. My wife is the complete polar opposite of me though and really enjoys having a truck/SUV and while she likes cars that are fast, she hates not being able to see over other cars.
I'm 6'2" and would probably agree with your wife. I enjoy driving my 'Vette on the weekends but only for a short amount of time, not a vehicle I'd ever take on a roadtrip. The braking is better, engine is more responsive, but I can't seem to ever get comfortable in most cars especially the paper-thin seats that the Corvette has. My back just can't take the abuse that it gets when driving it for any extended period of time.

Come to think of it I need to get the oil changed in my truck...damnit. Might as well as that to my 8 page to-do list.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
I wouldn't say "spoiled." I feel they are damn useful to have, though, and nice ones are quite acceptable to drive regularly. I'm going to miss our Range Rover after we sell it, as it's very comfortable to drive. THe diesel dually isn't going to be used as often as it's not quite as comfortbale and responsive as the Rangie. But being able to see over obstacles like hedges or mailboxes that block traffic coming from the side when sitting at intersections is still the same and still a benefit.

My BMW is still very comfy for long trips (though now with the H&R lowering springs, a bit stiffer than a luxury car normally is). So cars are still where I'd rather be (and given my choices, I'd always take the better handling/braking vehicle.)

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm 6'2" and would probably agree with your wife. I enjoy driving my 'Vette on the weekends but only for a short amount of time, not a vehicle I'd ever take on a roadtrip. The braking is better, engine is more responsive, but I can't seem to ever get comfortable in most cars especially the paper-thin seats that the Corvette has. My back just can't take the abuse that it gets when driving it for any extended period of time.

Come to think of it I need to get the oil changed in my truck...damnit. Might as well as that to my 8 page to-do list.
Yeah, you are just like my wife, lol. I would drive the Vette everyday and leave the truck in the garage unless I needed it. She would drive the truck everyday and only roll out the Vette if she wanted to go for a cruise.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM

273 posts, read 957,395 times
Uh, comparing a large pickup or SUV to a Civic is a bit of a stretch isn't it? There are just a few cars between these two. I have owned, driven, ridden in various trucks many times. For most of my use, I wouldn't swap my car(s) for a truck. Since there are a lot of cars still on the road, I doubt I am the only one.

I recently drove 16 hours 'straight through' in a car by myself. I averaged over 70 when moving, topping out at about 85 at times, nothing crazy. A lot of this was in fast moving traffic, so handling and stopping counted. I was quite comfortable all things considered. Including return and side trips I drove over 3,000 miles in about a week. The car performed very well and was a pleasure to drive at all times. I got well over 30 mpg for most of the trip.

It depends on what you value in a vehicle and how you use it. There are few that can do it all under all conditions and for all people...trucks have their place of course. To each his or her own...

Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I drive a Ridgeline most of the time. Some don't think it is a truck but it most certainly is not a car. It drives like a tall car and I like its utility and room a lot. When I'm not driving the Ridgeline I drive my NSX. Hands down I prefer driving the NSX. Yeah I can't see over vehicles in it. But the engine, the handling, the shifting, etc. all are superb and I never get tired of it. It has superb seats. I have driven it from Colorado to Texas and didn't get tired in the least.

We had a Ford F250 SD crewcab for a good while. It was an excellent truck, but I hated driving it. I don't like getting tossed out of my seat going over speed bumps in a parking lot.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM

6,811 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I don't know if I'd say 'spoiled', but I definitely prefer trucks and SUVs to little cars that have no power.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
My F150 is the smallest vehicle I drive and I enjoy room and comfortable seats, which the F150 gives me. In fact, I really don't care much for my wife's 2002 Explorer. Although we rarely use the hauling capability of the F150, it's nice to know we have it if we need it.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
All that room is just fine until you have to put on your brakes and end up doing a 360 or 180. I'll stick with a safe car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive