Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 03:39 PM

6,458 posts, read 3,150,862 times

Advertisements

The backstory....No good deed goes unpunished. I was helping my wife's cousin disassemble a gas grill, for disposal. I put a screwdriver in my back pocket, while taking the thing apart, and forgot about it. We get the grill apart, and I get in my car to go home, and immediately shove the screwdriver through the upholstery.

I hit the internet, checking out the major Corvette suppliers, and all they will sell is a complete set of replacement covers (leather) for both seats. All I really need, is the one, driver's side lower cover. The car is 21 years old, but a low mileage car. The passenger seat has hardly been sat it. I really don't want to spend $11-1200 for all four covers.

I came across a supplier called "Richmond Auto Upholstery", located in Texas. Along with being an actual upholstery shop, they also sell individual covers, for repair purposes. They sell, through their E-Bay store, the cover I need.

After all that, my question......does anybody here have any experience with this supplier? If so, were you satisfied with the quality of their seat covers, and how is there customer service?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 03:58 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I realize you screwed up and made a terrible, stupid mistake but why should the cousin have to settle for a seat cover which just covers existing damage (which will continue to degrade, get worse) - just a REAL upholstery business in the area.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:48 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Never heard of this company, but if you are going to do the install yourself, there are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how.
If you don't want to get involved in the installation, any shop can get the material and do the job.
Just replacing the bottom section is no big deal.
The one company I personally would not go to is "Rides", advertises on the corvette forum.
I think they go under a different name now, something like "sharper image" or some name like that.
I got booted off the corvette forum because I stated their products looked like **** when installed, and they do.
My advice is to call a shop in your area, and let them handle it.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:50 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
So just a screwdriver sized puncture? I'd try a local upholstery shop first to see if they can repair.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I realize you screwed up and made a terrible, stupid mistake but why should the cousin have to settle for a seat cover which just covers existing damage (which will continue to degrade, get worse) - just a REAL upholstery business in the area.
HUH??????

First of all, the damage was done by me, to MY car. And the term "seat cover" is what is used, to describe the material that covers the underlying foam of the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Never heard of this company, but if you are going to do the install yourself, there are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how.
If you don't want to get involved in the installation, any shop can get the material and do the job.
Just replacing the bottom section is no big deal.
The one company I personally would not go to is "Rides", advertises on the corvette forum.
I think they go under a different name now, something like "sharper image" or some name like that.
I got booted off the corvette forum because I stated their products looked like **** when installed, and they do.
My advice is to call a shop in your area, and let them handle it.
I plan on having the cover professionally installed, as I'm pretty good with wrenches under the hood, but not with hog ring pliers on the seats! I doubt that the current upholstered section can be adequately repaired, because the puncture is in the section where the leather is perforated.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 AM

29,499 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Maybe give this place a call , and see if they will sell a single cover.

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c5-9...oods/?count=18

Old 09-21-2022, 05:51 AM

29,499 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So just a screwdriver sized puncture? I'd try a local upholstery shop first to see if they can repair.
This might be a good route, instead of replacing the whole cover.

Found this video of a repair on an Audi leather seat.

https://youtu.be/CR9k9XnYmPg

Old 09-21-2022, 06:50 AM

5,215 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The backstory....No good deed goes unpunished. I was helping my wife's cousin disassemble a gas grill, for disposal. I put a screwdriver in my back pocket, while taking the thing apart, and forgot about it. We get the grill apart, and I get in my car to go home, and immediately shove the screwdriver through the upholstery.

I hit the internet, checking out the major Corvette suppliers, and all they will sell is a complete set of replacement covers (leather) for both seats. All I really need, is the one, driver's side lower cover. The car is 21 years old, but a low mileage car. The passenger seat has hardly been sat it. I really don't want to spend $11-1200 for all four covers.

I came across a supplier called "Richmond Auto Upholstery", located in Texas. Along with being an actual upholstery shop, they also sell individual covers, for repair purposes. They sell, through their E-Bay store, the cover I need.

After all that, my question......does anybody here have any experience with this supplier? If so, were you satisfied with the quality of their seat covers, and how is there customer service?

Thanks in advance!
Don’t have any experience with that supplier, but would suggest getting on one of the bigger corvette forums and inquire. I frequent the BMW forums for my model and they are a wealth of information for these sort of things. Lots of owner input!

Upholstery shops are disappearing rapidly, we had one here locally that had been in business over 70 years that I loved and they up and closed due to aging owners and no one to take over.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:15 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Lead
You would be surprised what a good auto upholstery shop can do. Start there.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This might be a good route, instead of replacing the whole cover.

Found this video of a repair on an Audi leather seat.

https://youtu.be/CR9k9XnYmPg
That's a good video, however the section of the seat that I damaged, is a perforated section of the seat, which makes it difficult to repair in a manner that wouldn't be too obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive