Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 AM

23 posts, read 66,603 times

Advertisements

Which SUV should I purchase? I am expecting my first child in the Spring, and the Highlander was rated the highest for safety by Consumer Reports, but I also like the Lexus RX 350. Any suggestions on either would be greatly appreciated. Safety is my #1 priority.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
This should really be posted in the automotive forum.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I agree. It's going to move there now from the Northern Virginia forum.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
They're the same chassis, share the same engine. The RX350 is a bit more luxurious, but you can't go wrong either way. Getting a Highlander Limited will give you a good amount of luxury, similar to the RX350. Either way, you can't lose.

By the way, you failed to tell us what model years they are.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
The highlander will be a bit more cheaper than the RX but if you buy new, the Lexus dealership will probably treat you better than a Toyota dealership.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
While the vehicles are very similar, I would personally lean toward the Highlander for one simple reason, the availability of 3rd row seating. The Lexus certainly holds the edge in luxury look and feel and will have the superior dealer experience, but a Highlander Limited will provide all the goodies most will ever need even if the plastic and leather aren't as good as the RX.

My reason for valuing the 3rd row seating is that as a parent, you quickly realize how much space car seats take up. Also, if you do have a second child, you have pretty much filled the backseat of your car. While the 3rd row may be a little cramped, it can come in real handy in a pinch, like say when your in-laws or parents are visiting and you all want to go somewhere. The fact that it folds into the floor means you get just as much storage space, but always have the option of flipping up the seat when needed. Also, if you do have more than one as they get older, it is nice to be able to spread them out a bit on long rides.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While the vehicles are very similar, I would personally lean toward the Highlander for one simple reason, the availability of 3rd row seating. The Lexus certainly holds the edge in luxury look and feel and will have the superior dealer experience, but a Highlander Limited will provide all the goodies most will ever need even if the plastic and leather aren't as good as the RX.

My reason for valuing the 3rd row seating is that as a parent, you quickly realize how much space car seats take up. Also, if you do have a second child, you have pretty much filled the backseat of your car. While the 3rd row may be a little cramped, it can come in real handy in a pinch, like say when your in-laws or parents are visiting and you all want to go somewhere. The fact that it folds into the floor means you get just as much storage space, but always have the option of flipping up the seat when needed. Also, if you do have more than one as they get older, it is nice to be able to spread them out a bit on long rides.

True. Valid points. I was going to mention the 3rd row seating option. It escaped my mind while typing. Thanks for bringing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive