Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times

Advertisements

Are there any websites out there that can determine how much a trip would cost based on information submitted about your vehicle? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
There are tons of them out there that will calculate the cost based on your expected MPG. A quick Google search for "trip cost calculator" returned at least a dozen sites with different style calculators.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Trip length / average MPG of vehicle to be used x current cost per gallon of gas = estimated trip cost.

Or is there more to it than that?

EDIT-I just tried the AAA trip calculator, using a trip I make every year. It returned an MPG of less than 18 for my car, and I've gotten 23-25 on each of my trips. Just an FYI.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Trip length / average MPG of vehicle to be used x current cost per gallon of gas = estimated trip cost.

Or is there more to it than that?

Yeah, there's food and lodging costs too, which don't vary that much across the country, as gas prices do.

It's really not too hard to figure out. You should know how many MPG you car gets, you know what you eat and you know what you like in a motel room. Toss in a few souveniers and attractions and it's just basic math. Website un-necessary.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yeah, there's food and lodging costs too, which don't vary that much across the country, as gas prices do.

It's really not too hard to figure out. You should know how many MPG you car gets, you know what you eat and you know what you like in a motel room. Toss in a few souveniers and attractions and it's just basic math. Website un-necessary.
I know about food and lodging, but I assumed the trip calculators only dealt with fuel costs. That's exactly what the AAA site did.

I agree that it's pretty simple to figure out what a trip will cost, using the formula you gave.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There are tons of them out there that will calculate the cost based on your expected MPG. A quick Google search for "trip cost calculator" returned at least a dozen sites with different style calculators.
Do you have any recommendations on the ones that came up through the search?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Do you have any recommendations on the ones that came up through the search?
No, I usually just figure it out myself, as it is pretty simple math. Total miles to drive divided by expected MPG times average cost of gas = cost of fuel.

Check your route and see if there are any toll roads/bridges and add in the cost of tolls.

If you are going to be staying overnight, plan the stop ahead of time and check hotel rates in the area.

Meals should be pretty easy, you know what you eat. Plan $15 per person for breakfast/lunch and snacks on the road and $20 for dinner, about $35 total, more if you eat at fancier places.

Take your total and add 20% for incidentals. If you have don't have a credit card make sure you have at least $500-$1,000 in cash available on your debit card in case of a breakdown. Also, if using a debit card for motel stays, double the cost and make sure you have that much extra available to handle the hold they will place on your account.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,951 times
gasbuddy.com is a pretty cool site that will calculate fuel costs for you

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Those all appear to be fuel cost calculators. As stated several times previously, that is a 10 second calculation you can make if you know the MPG of your car, the length of the trip, and an average cost for fuel. No website is needed.

The necessary info to determine a ballpark estimate for the other trip costs has also been explained. Make a list, get out a calculator. Take control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive