Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what your intial impressions are.

We are planning to lease one this weekend. We considered buying, but with this being new technology, decided that a lease was the best route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
I'd have to agree with you on going with the lease. GM has incentified the crap out of people to go that route and you simply can't touch a car like the Volt for $350 a month.

FWIW, I've driven one and I like it. It is a very seemless experience and a very well put together car. Unfortunately it won't really work for my commuting situation. As long as you can comfortably commute on the battery charge you should be golden.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd have to agree with you on going with the lease. GM has incentified the crap out of people to go that route and you simply can't touch a car like the Volt for $350 a month.

FWIW, I've driven one and I like it. It is a very seemless experience and a very well put together car. Unfortunately it won't really work for my commuting situation. As long as you can comfortably commute on the battery charge you should be golden.

Are you in Jersey? We're gonna buy one there.

Yeah... our commutes are short... 10 miles each way or so.

The least is for the base model, so ours will be a little higher, but nothing too painful. I'm rather excited!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Are you in Jersey? We're gonna buy one there.

Yeah... our commutes are short... 10 miles each way or so.

The least is for the base model, so ours will be a little higher, but nothing too painful. I'm rather excited!
Yeah, I live in South Jersey. I work in the transportation industry so I'm fortunate that I get to try out just about everything there is. My commute is about 50 miles a day in traffic so without a charging station at work, it wouldn't make much sense for me and I would have to purchase do to the miles, so there just isn't enough savings to justify it.

Good luck with it, I was very impressed with the test drive I took.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I live in South Jersey. I work in the transportation industry so I'm fortunate that I get to try out just about everything there is. My commute is about 50 miles a day in traffic so without a charging station at work, it wouldn't make much sense for me and I would have to purchase do to the miles, so there just isn't enough savings to justify it.

Good luck with it, I was very impressed with the test drive I took.
There really should be more 240 charging stations around. Here's to hoping that more manufacturers will head toward electric and we will develop the infrastructure for it!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
There really should be more 240 charging stations around. Here's to hoping that more manufacturers will head toward electric and we will develop the infrastructure for it!
Well, the nice part of the Volt is that it covers something like 80% of peoples normal daily driving under electric, but won't leave you stranded if you need to go further. The issue is, if you are going to be running the car on the gasoline on any kind of routine basis, it simply can't pay for itself versus any "regular" efficient car.

More charging stations are definitely needed, but the big issue is the time it takes to charge the batteries. My company has two primary offices. They are actually installing a charging station at one of them to show customers how progressive we are. Unfortunately I don't work at that office and I doubt they'd let me run an extension cord out the door, lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well, the nice part of the Volt is that it covers something like 80% of peoples normal daily driving under electric, but won't leave you stranded if you need to go further. The issue is, if you are going to be running the car on the gasoline on any kind of routine basis, it simply can't pay for itself versus any "regular" efficient car.

More charging stations are definitely needed, but the big issue is the time it takes to charge the batteries. My company has two primary offices. They are actually installing a charging station at one of them to show customers how progressive we are. Unfortunately I don't work at that office and I doubt they'd let me run an extension cord out the door, lol.
You could ask.

Yeah... our regular driving would be covered pretty much 95% of the time by the electric. We just need the gas for days where there's way more running around than usual or we take a trip.

I'm excited!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Quote:
Well, the nice part of the Volt is that it covers something like 80% of peoples normal daily driving under electric,
I think there is a bigger issue... a large portion of commuters do not have a garage or outlet to charge when they get home. Just how many apartments will accomodate the overnight charge? Between this and the high price I don't see this vehicle will sell (estimated 350 thus far). It is just another large drain of taxpayer money with $7500 a unit per sale after billions in grants during development.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I have wander about security since you need a charging cord hooked up. I would thnik they are more practical for thsoe who have secure garages or secured places to charge them.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Just wondering what your intial impressions are.

We are planning to lease one this weekend. We considered buying, but with this being new technology, decided that a lease was the best route.
Do the math on leasing a Volt versus purchasing one. Leasing is definitely the best route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive