Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times

Advertisements

Im not in the market quite yet for a new car, but I want to do my homework long beforehand so im looking already.

After considering all the factors I care about, gas milage, the environment, safety, etc....the one that ive boiled it down to is "me not getting stuck in snow".

Ive heard from different people that their Subarus are pretty reliable in adverse conditions. I want a wagon or hatchback style vehicle for the most part, so ive been considering a Forester. I admit that I dont know much about cars though.

Can anyone tell me about AWD. Is a Subaru a good choice for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Subie's AWD is among the best in the business. Our rural route postal delivery folk have used them for many years as the vehicle of choice. We see a lot of them in the Rocky Mountain region due to their rugged reliability in our cold/snow/ice driving conditions, and they're very popular cars in New England as well as the Pacific Northwest, too.

That said, no street vehicle can be said to be impervious to getting stuck someday if the conditions and circumstances are in excess of it's capabilities ... You still have to drive with care.

While I am a fan of Subie's and own several Outback wagons which we depend upon for daily transportation in our severe winter climate conditions here at 6,000' + elevation and into the mountains ... there are a fair number of other capable AWD cars in the marketplace which may warrant your consideration. For example, a relative of ours has recently acquired a 3-series BMW AWD car to replace her aged Honda Accord ... and is thrilled with the adverse weather capabilities of it; it's the first car she's ever owned that was really fun to drive and is so much more sure-footed than her Honda's of the last 20 years. We've also got friends driving Volvo and VW and Audi AWD vehicles ... and they do very well, too ... at a price, but they offer different levels of amenities than the Subie. While their AWD capability isn't any better than the Subie, there may be other aspects of the cars which appeal to you ... you need to check them out to make an informed decision about what you want to buy.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Like sunsprit said, Subaru makes what is arguably the best AWD system you will come across. They also tend to be pretty reliable and last a long time with regular maintenance. They aren't throw away cars.

IMO if AWD is a must, the first places I look are Subaru and Audi.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
If you like wagons and want AWD then you don't need to look any further than Subaru.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Also, Subaru AWD is one of the few systems that is AWD all the time, designed from the ground up to be so. Most other manufacturers use a temporary system, usually with modified front wheel drive vehicles, where the AWD kicks in for a few moments when slippage is detected, and then just as quickly kicks off. Audi also has a full-time system.

We have two Subarus, one 10 years old, one six and have not had a problem with either and they capably get us up the road in just about any condition and are also fun to drive- love them turbos!

As other posters have said, AWD will not guarantee you will not get stuck (although it is very hard to get a Subaru stuck with decent tires) or slide of a road if you drive unsafely for the conditions. I've seen more than a few SUVs off the road with their overconfident drivers wondering what happened.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM

29 posts, read 123,154 times
Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive.

i love subaru's because of the AWD and they are easy to fix on your own.

here is demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0

you wont get stuck in a subaru. i havent in either my 90 legacy or 89 xt6

Last edited by RipJawn; 02-16-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Haha. Yeah I know that any vehicle, even a hummer is going to slide on ice and get stuck on a snow drift. I just would like to be able get better traction and be able to move slightly quicker when I accelerate away from a stop at an intersection. In my grand am, I always have to creep at first and its sometimes kind of ridiculous how I can't get going fast enough. Or god forbid the intersection I have to stop at is the least bit uphill. I know even a Subaru can't just dominate snow because nothing can, besides a snowmobile. I just need a tiny bit more ability.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM

29 posts, read 123,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Haha. Yeah I know that any vehicle, even a hummer is going to slide on ice and get stuck on a snow drift. I just would like to be able get better traction and be able to move slightly quicker when I accelerate away from a stop at an intersection. In my grand am, I always have to creep at first and its sometimes kind of ridiculous how I can't get going fast enough. Or god forbid the intersection I have to stop at is the least bit uphill. I know even a Subaru can't just dominate snow because nothing can, besides a snowmobile. I just need a tiny bit more ability.
well i think your asking AWD to much for that.
why accelerate quickly when in snow ? that leads to accidents

Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
There won't even be a comparison between a Subaru and a Grand Am pulling away on a slippery surface, that would be like night and day!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
It's all about tires. Put a good set of dedicated snow tires on just about any front wheel drive vehicle and enjoy! I live in an area that gets the most snow of any metro area on average, 140"+ so far this year and have had no problems getting around in a Jetta Sportwagen. A Subaru is a great car, and with equal tires be a better snow vehicle, but you will pay for that in reduced gas milage the rest of the year. The TDI (turbo diesel) Sportwagen has been returning 38 mpg average in an area that is almost all hills. If you put many miles a year on your car it is something to be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru