Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Jump the car and take off BOTH battery cables.. IF the car still runs the Battery is gone.. IF the car stalls the alternator is bad....
And while it does not necessarily happen, running a car with no battery connected can cause thousands of dollars of damage to electronic components.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
What is the condition of the belts?

Recently I thought my ancient running off duck-tape $400 1998 Nissan Altima had a bad alternator, but I hadn't yet had it replaced. Someone here suggested checking the belts, I was skeptical, after all Autozone tested the alternator and found it faulty. Over the weekend my belts broke off, I had to have a mobile mechanic come out to reattach them. Wouldn't you know it, my alternator is now working fine.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
And while it does not necessarily happen, running a car with no battery connected can cause thousands of dollars of damage to electronic components.

Don in Austin
Why? Theoretically it should cause no problems. Things may not work correctly do to drops in voltage under load and slow speed. . But damage is mostly caused by voltage spikes. See no reason why voltage spikes occur from no or weak battery.

Not suggesting it is a good thing to do. But I don't see a reason why it causes damage.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 PM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
Get a cheap ohm meter from walmart or sears.
Test the battery and alternator.
Car off ,battery 100 percent will read 12.6.
Partial capacity 12.3-12.4(Will give problems in cold weather)
12.2 and under,usually not enough capacity to start vehicle.
12 and under-Battery shot.

Car on,volts should be 14 or higher.
Under load(a/c,lights,wipers,radio,flasher and anything else electrical )
If it drops below 13 the alternator is shot.

Another test you can do is an amperage test to see if there is any parasitic draw killing the battery.
Here's a good vid from Eric the Car Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
BTW I didn't realize how old the problem was. Either way,this search should come up on google and help others.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Really? You should tell this to all the high rpm drag racers that don't run alternators. Or maybe it was sheer luck I was able to once drive 80 miles on the interstate trying to make it home and the alternator wasn't charging.
I am pretty sure they use magnetos.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Probably the battery. Over the summer my alternator went out and the car wouldn't start after the alternator was changed. Old alternator essentially KILLED a 3 year old battery in a Saab 9-3. So batteries can be sensitive sometimes.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco GT View Post
You kinda messed that part up. Once the vehicle is running the alternator provides power to the electrical system, not the battery. You can run a car all day once it's started, without the battery... but you can't do the same without an alternator.

To the OP - Chances are the alternator is the problem... hence your vehicle running fine once it's piggy-backing off of the other car's charging system. I'm sure the battery took a beating though so you'll probably need a new one of those too.
This is correct.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
So I know this thread is ancient but I’ve seen more than one Chrysler product do this even with a working alternator. Just won’t stay running with a dead battery.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 936 times
I'm having this same problem it won't start unless it's hooked up to Jumper cables then dies once I unhook the Jumper cables an also if I don't have any Jumper cables hooked up to it my lights won't work nothing works I cant open my trunk or roll windows up or down it won't even ding or turn over if there's no cables hooked up Theo it from another vehicle I just replaced alternater on the oh battery less than a year ago so I figured one went bad already but witch one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive