Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

I'm getting an unexpected extra $3,000 next month and decided to buy (another) used minivan/dog bus. Actually I would love a Suburban but since gas prices probably won't get much lower in my lifetime, maybe not.

My top choice, if I could find one without a ton of rust (I'm in Michigan), is a Toyota Previa in decent shape, but they are not common around here. Manual trans would be a big plus.

Other choices, if I can find older ones with relatively low-normal miles for the year, would be a Chevy Astro/GMC Savana or Plymouth Voyager with (whichever transmission is the better one, I can't recall now.) Or a Ford Aerostar.

From advice I've gotten on another thread, looking for a "truck-based" van would be a better way to go, right? Rather than one that has a chassis/transmission/motor generally used in sedans.

Suggestions and "absolutely stay away from..." warnings? I am poking around on craigslist and since this is an economically depressed area (I am not in Detroit but it's the biggest craigslist near me) there are a lot of broke people desperate to sell what they have....I am very hip to scams so don't need lectures on how to avoid them.

Anyway, the dogs need a new bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
stay away from chrysler mini vans al all cost and get a toyota or honda or grab a nice non-AWD version of the Chevy Astro with the 4.3 liter V-6
http://www.speedwheels.com/imagesc/chevrolet-astro-passenger-2002_1522.jpg (broken link)
one likr this would be perfect for dog hauling but make sure no matter what you do get any used Van inspected by a independant mechanic before you purchase

Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM

I have friends with one of these vans....they drive it between Texas and Michigan with about 250,000 miles, no fear. I drove it once and liked it very much! Liked all the retro wood trim, too.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Manual transmission ... not much of a choice there. Mazda is the only other make I can think of.

Avoid the Aerostar. The Chevy ... don't crash.

Perhaps look into the 1998 and earlier Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager twins? Folks forget about them, so they tend to sell for less (versus a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna). No, it's not truck based, but the powertrain is from the Nissan Maxima and is pretty well proven. The later ones (with the driver's side sliding door too) is larger and more powerful, but has a weaker chassis.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Toyota Previa is bulletproof, mine lasted 240K and I think is still on the road. Nothing significant ever needed to be repaired, but the brake lines all rusted out, so I gave it to a guy who could do the labor himself. This survived 15 Michigan winters with no visible rusting, still ran perfectly without using a drop of oil.

However, a minivan (unlike a sedan), by the time the asking price gets down to $3K, is likely to show signs of rough use, often being employed as work cars. All the US-branded minivans are total POS, as far as I could ever tell.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Manual transmission ... not much of a choice there. Mazda is the only other make I can think of.

Avoid the Aerostar. The Chevy ... don't crash.

Perhaps look into the 1998 and earlier Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager twins? Folks forget about them, so they tend to sell for less (versus a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna). No, it's not truck based, but the powertrain is from the Nissan Maxima and is pretty well proven. The later ones (with the driver's side sliding door too) is larger and more powerful, but has a weaker chassis.
Eek! On the crash....mind you the last time I was in a crash was 1979 or 1980, so my bad, it's not something I tend to factor in highly.

From what I understand the Quest/Villager have pretty crappy reliability ratings; I was actually talked out of buying a new Quest several years ago by a Nissan salesperson. I'm on my second bullet-proof Nissan truck and inquired about a Quest.

jtur, I hear you...mind you I've only owned two minivans to date (95 Voyager and 99 Sienna) both bought used and both great deals. I may extend my search to Chicago and points further away for a Previa because they are so cool and long-lasting. I actually looked at and drove on last week but it was so rusted out it made me a bit nervous.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
From what I understand the Quest/Villager have pretty crappy reliability ratings; I was actually talked out of buying a new Quest several years ago by a Nissan salesperson. I'm on my second bullet-proof Nissan truck and inquired about a Quest.
The later ones (when it was Nissan only, no more Villager), yeah, the build quality wasn't so good. IIRC, the earlier ones were rated average by Consumer Reports.

I will say its safety still isn't the greatest ... not as bad as the Astro (or its even worse sibling), but the 3-door Quest/Villager is only rated marginal, while the 4-door is rated poor.

If not a Previa, perhaps go back to looking at the Sienna.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
At your price point I would say that the condition of the particular vehicle you're looking at is likely to be more important than the model or brand. A through pre-purchase inspection is essential.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
There's no reason to automatically avoid Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge vans. You just need to know what to look for. There are tons of 1996-2000 models still going strong out there. If you get one you will think, "gee! Those Chrysler haters on C-D don't know anything about them. Glad I ignored them.".

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
It may surprise a lot of folks that they most represented vehicles in the million mile club are the Dodge/Chrysler minivans from the early-mid nineties. They are pretty robust, mechanically simple and parts are plentiful. These are the minivans that created the minivan. In that price range, you are more or less shopping for something that has been well maintained, not necessarily a particular make/model. If it were me I wouldn't automatically cross anything off the list.

The outside option I would throw out would be a Ford E-series van. They are built on the F-series chassis and while they may be a little bigger and thirstier than what you were looking for, they can be had real cheap and are very reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive