Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,247,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
(snip) It's how you drive that attracts the attention.
Not when the blur of a vehicle catches the attention of a patrol car coming around a bend in the Colorado hills and the officer triggers the instant on radar detector ... and nails you for an mph far in excess of the speed limit.

I don't know what state you drive in, but here in the Rocky Mountains, they also post yellow warning signs around the twisties about a slower than the posted speed limit curve (or series of curves) ahead. In the judgement of an officer, if you are in excess of that speed advisory ... you are on the hook for a "careless" driving ticket.

For example, I came down a country road this AM from Conifer to SW Denver (Hwy 74), which goes through several little townships. The posted speed in the canyon is 45 mph, tops. The little townships all post lower speeds, as low as 25 mph just so you can give a little longer glance at the couple of stores alongside the road ... and then you're back at 45 mph with yellow warning signs advising a 25 mph limit through the curve(s) ahead.

My Subie has no difficulty tracking any part of this road at 45-60 mph ... well within my lane, no squealing tires (that's a bust of careless in this state), no braking required, no lean of the car, nothing out of the ordinary. Just glide down the canyon in 4th gear and modulate the throttle pedal as needed to guide the car through the bends. No need to touch the brakes at all for the 13 miles at these speeds in a definitely non-sporting car with all-season tires on it.

But again, had I been clocked by an officer at that 45 mph around those bends, I would have been at risk of being stopped for "careless" driving. If I'd been over 45 mph, even by 1 mph, it could have been a speeding ticket under the zero tolerance policy of some of the local deputies or CHP on that road.

Perhaps ... where you drive there's so many folk with "look at me" cars that the police departments are complacent and jaded about folk driving aggressively or over the speed limits?

I can assure you that here in the Rocky Mountains, such is not the case. Drive a car that is an attention getter and you will get noticed, scrutinized, and more consultations with the officers than you ever imagined possible, some of it merely curiosity, some of it bordering on harrassment.

I did one trip from Denver to Aspen ... a few years ago ... on a freshly built 350 cc Ducati motorcycle which I didn't want to exceed 4,000 RPM on for it's initial break-in mileage. Hence, it could not exceed the speed limits on the roads I was riding that night (for cooler air). I got stopped 7 times that evening, and no officer had me clocked in excess of the speed limit at any time, nor was I driving aggressively through traffic ... because there was none on the road with me. At the 5th traffic stop, I asked the officer why I was getting stopped so frequently when I wasn't doing anything wrong, and he said that the bright red racing fairing and rear-sets/clip-ons made it look like I was on a racing bike (it had a quiet exhaust, too) and he'd been alerted by the officer in the prior county area that I was enroute on the highway (past Fairplay at that time, I was heading for Independence Pass to Aspen), so he was waiting for me. The excuse offered by all was that they had a right to stop me to check for my motorcycle driver's license, registration papers (the bike was on a happy tag, not a plate), and proof of insurance ... even without probable cause of any other primary violation.

Similarly, I had one of the first 850 BMW's in the area ... shipped in for a client in Pine, CO. I took delivery of the car for him and was doing my best to be inconspicuous and drive gently with the new, expensive, car. I got stopped 3 times on the road between Englewood, CO and Pine ... by a deputy and then two highway patrolmen. Again, they were "just checking" the happy tag in the rear window of the car and the proof of insurance for it. No speeding, no cutting through traffic (there wasn't any to speak of), nothing in my driving to attract attention. Simply curiosity on the part of the officers to see the car and they had nothing more urgent to attend to at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,133,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
My brother just bought one of these. It list for 100,000.00 when new. It is a 2003 model convertible with 32,000 one owner miles and mint condition. It has a 8 cylinder don't know what size and its an automatic and fast. He paid 26,000.00 for it and drives it only during warm days and is covered in his garage rest of time.
That would be the old XK. The one relevant here would be the 2007+ XK (particularly the XKR).

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,312,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
This is a myth. I used to have a red Gallardo and right now I have a black LP560, and there's no difference in the amount of attention they attract, either from bystanders or police. I've never been pulled over in either car, despite the fact there were reasons for them to pull me over. And we are talking about a couple of the most attention-attracting vehicles out there. But I have been pulled over in a silver Honda. It's how you drive that attracts the attention.
After having both black and red 911s, working on other red Porsches, having silver, blue and red RX7s, as well as working on numerous other sportscars, ONLY the red ones ever got followed by the cops and I was NEVER going fast when it happened. I could drive all over in ay of the other colors, but the MOMENT I got behind the wheel of a red one, they'd pull out and wait behind me for any little thing (like turn signals or going 1-5 mph over when the speed limit changed...). After 30 years of driving all sorts of performacne cars, that's been my expereince on two coasts and 4 separate states.

Has NOTHING to do with how you drive, as i coulsd speed by a cop in my black 911 and nothing happened:

But my red one HAD to be driven at or below the speed limit and it STILL got them to pull out when I'd go by and follow me for MILES:

Same thing would happen with family members and friends.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,715,630 times
I think I'm just in a rut, I'm turning 31 years old in 3 months and I want something to make me feel younger maybe. I'm not even sure. Lately I've just been working, working, working and I seem to get nothing accomplished within my own personal goals. I've been a bit down lately, I guess I'm thinking maybe a new sports car will sort of jolt me out of my current rut.

I feel fairly successful but I don't feel as if I have truly achieved anything and timing is just ticking by. I'm almost 31 but yet I have managed to pay off my current home, I have no car payments, no debt, a wonderful fiance...but it seems my life has become so monotonous. I work 8-10 hours a day, come home, eat supper, watch some tv, and go to bed. Repeat for 5 consecutive days. Weekends I seem to work in my home office for a few hours before doing anything enjoyable.

I feel like I should be really happy with my position in life, but I guess I'm not. I need something to give me some pep back in my step...maybe a ZR1?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
Most Corvette owners are much older than you. According to one survey, 55% of Vette owners are between 49-63 years old.

Corvette Demographics - 2009

That agrees with what I see on the road. Lots of older guys with meticulous mustaches and beards.

I think instead of focusing on acceleration and bang for buck I suggest an older car that requires you do get involved with it. Maybe an older 911, an NSX, BMW etc. Not something that requires huge $$ to keep running like a Ferrari. But something that requires you to do more than put gas in it and push the pedal to go fast.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:10 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,658,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Most Corvette owners are much older than you. According to one survey, 55% of Vette owners are between 49-63 years old.

Corvette Demographics - 2009

That agrees with what I see on the road. Lots of older guys with meticulous mustaches and beards.

I think instead of focusing on acceleration and bang for buck I suggest an older car that requires you do get involved with it. Maybe an older 911, an NSX, BMW etc. Not something that requires huge $$ to keep running like a Ferrari. But something that requires you to do more than put gas in it and push the pedal to go fast.
I don't know if its because of the age or not but I see quite a bit of women driving corvettes. My dad finally bought a corvette and I know one of the biggest issues was finding one that was a manual. I even spoke with a guy that ran a Chevrolet dealership and he stated that most corvettes were automatics so that husband and wives could drive them. It is also interesting though, that he didn't care for corvettes...thought they were boring.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I don't know if its because of the age or not but I see quite a bit of women driving corvettes. My dad finally bought a corvette and I know one of the biggest issues was finding one that was a manual. I even spoke with a guy that ran a Chevrolet dealership and he stated that most corvettes were automatics so that husband and wives could drive them. It is also interesting though, that he didn't care for corvettes...thought they were boring.
I do see women driving Vettes. I see Vettes every day, but not women driving Vettes everyday. I bet much less than 10% of Vette owners are female.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,887,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
And honestly? I can't find anything in my price range that excites me as much as my 'Vette does. I've been looking online as well as reading reviews about a few vehicles:

2008-2009 BMW M3
2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
2008-2009 Mercedes SLK55 AMG
2011 Shelby GT500
2011 Chevy Camaro SS
2008-2009 Porsche Cayman S
2007-2009 Porsche 911

Then I started to think what I wanted in a sports car. Badges mean nothing to me, I don't care what brand it is nor what others think of me driving it. I want something fast, fun, and loud (styling). I don't want something tame, I want to step on the gas and be GONE. Plus it has to be a stick, I wouldn't ever commit the crime of buying a (gasp) automatic sports car.

I went down the list and compared the specs of my current '05 Corvette with those of vehicles I'd consider purchasing and none of these vehicles can really top a 'Vette in terms of performance. Forget hugging curves and going around twisties, I want 0-60 in a bit over 4 seconds with a top speed nearing 200 mph...all while achieving nearly 28 mpg.

I would LOVE to own a superexotic such as a Ferrari but...I can't afford the entry price nor the upkeep. If I could get a 2002 360 Modena is great condition for my price, I'd hop on it but...I don't see that happening.

I guess as of now, I'll just wait and keep my '05.
One of the things I noticed when looking at the list above was that some of the cars you drove weren't necessarily sports cars in the same sense that your Vette is: for instance, an M3 or CTS-V use what are basically family car chassis. Highly modified family car chassis and totally different suspension, but still: you don't sit low in the seat like you do in a Vette, nor do you have the high transmission hump that makes you feel like you're sealed in a cockpit. I've driven M3's and CL63's, and they're awesome cars, certainly, and I'd love to own either... but... it's just not the same.

Have you looked at a Lotus Exige or Evora? Smaller and way less torquey, but lightweight and nimble as all hell.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,237,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I think I'm just in a rut
Sounds more like you are just victim of cookie cutter suburban American lifestyle.

You can't buy happiness... find more hobbies. Why don't you get a project car and learn how to do some serious wrenching?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,247,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Sounds more like you are just victim of cookie cutter suburban American lifestyle.

You can't buy happiness... find more hobbies. Why don't you get a project car and learn how to do some serious wrenching?
After SpeedyAZ's comments of how much a drudge life has become at the ripe old age of almost 31 ...

I can't agree more with LuxH here.

Find recreational stuff to do that challenges you and diverts your attention from the career that is only work and a means to an end that you haven't found yet.

If not an automobile ... and I think the suggestion of becoming more involved, building up a vehicle to make it work is a very valid challenge ... especially if you are looking at sub 2 liter cars and making them go. Have you ever looked at a small race car if you are a competitive type person?

There's so many other interests to pursue ... boating/water sports/fishing, sailing/racing sailboats, or a host of challenging things best done while you're young enough to pursue them ... bicycling, climbing, skiing, etc.

Alternatively, how about aviation? A very capable GA aircraft can be had today for less money than you're looking at spending on another car which may not be a meaningful change from what you've got now. Yes, you'll spend more on fuel and maintenance than a street car per hour, but you'll get to travel a lot faster (legally!) and have an intense learning experience which may be the challenge that takes you away from the hum-drum work life cycle you're now experiencing. It'll take you some time to get through your instrument ticket, and it's a lot of freedom. There's such a wide range of activities to connect with your aviation hobby that you'll have a lot of options to enjoy.

Overall, you'll find lots of ways to get passionate about putting all that disposable income you have to beneficial use. You simply have to open your thinking to those possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive