Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 AM

204 posts, read 1,505,728 times

Advertisements

Here's my beef my local NAPA: Ordered parts online to be sent to the store for pickup, after a week I call to find out the status, manager tells me they don't honor the website policy; I have to go to the store and place a deposit before ordering.

After this experience, I surfed to Amazon.com and found the same set of Buick quick struts for $80.00 less, and my fuel injectors for $80.00 less per injector! That's a whopping $320 savings for my Neon!

"NAPA know how?" I assert, "NAPA don't know how" to keep this customer!

Anybody else a fan of Amazon over your local auto parts store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
I don't use NAPA a whole lot unless it's for that hard-to-find part that I need right now. Their prices are never better than AutoZone or O'Reilly's/Kragen and the one near me has weird hours. Plus it always smells like used kitty-litter.

In your case, it sounds like the problem stems from that store not being company-owned. Never liked that about them, either. Leaves each store to make up their own rules, so you can't just walk into any location and know the kind of service and policies to expect.

When I have the time to wait, I order parts online. From where typically depends on what I'm looking for, their price, and availability. I've ordered quite a bit from amazon, TireRack, Advanced Auto Parts' website, and AutoZone's website. Only one I ever had issues with was Advanced because they sent the wrong part. But a quick call got it resolved.

Mike

Old 05-22-2011, 11:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
If it's for planned maintenance, then yeah, online can work out, whether it'd be Advanced Auto, Amazon, Rock Auto, or in a more specific case, iPd for Volvo stuff.

There are times in which such is NOT cheaper, though, and certainly the time aspect has to be considered also.

As for Amazon specifically ... their search engine isn't intuitive. Search overload, if you will, since their searches DON'T automatically refer to your vehicle in context.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,888 times
I'm loyal to eBay

Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
I have found Rock Auto with generally the best prices and service.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'd never heard of Rock Auto. I did visit the site and it does look promising. There's also YAHOO shopping and a few others. With all the competition you'd think NAPA would stop acting like "the only player in town" and become more customer service oriented. This ain't 1980.

This is also why I switched to Tire Rack. I had a less than pleasant experience with a favorite tire vendor in town. That was six years ago. Since that time, EVERY set of rims and tires (five) have been purchased online. They beat local merchant pricing, even with shipping charges to Alaska.

Hint To Local Merchants Everywhere: At least TRY to keep your loyal customers. If you don't, stop wondering why you're experiencing declining revenue. Sheesh, you don't need a marketing or business degree to figure this out, folks.

Last edited by IMOGAJAD; 05-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
Yes All it takes is one time for me to be treated less than fair and the place is history to me then,,,,forever...NAPA will pull up your part and not tell you they got four other brands of the same part that are cheaper..You need to know what they carry before you go in the store.The clerks must get commission

Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'll second that. I use it A LOT for side work, and have never had a problem.
I use NAPA quite a bit, too, but mainly because the company that I work for and the discount. It takes a while to build a friendship with just one person in there that I run all of my business through. If I call and he's not there, I either call back or go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive