Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on near luxury midsize sedans? Would the new Saab 9-5 count as midsize or large? I like the Volvo S60. Don't care for the Infiniti G sedan nor the Acura TL in styling. Lexus IS seems a bit big for midsize but has a sporty styling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
The IS is tiny & cramped. My friends joke that it was made for Asian yuppies, not big lazyass Americans.

I've only seen a couple 9-5's and it looks midsized to me but larger than a G sedan. If you're going to lease I'd seriously look at an A4: classic looks with great road feel. But make sure you get the Quattro version since there's some serious throttle lag with the CVT tranny.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I'd say the IS is cozy, not tiny. But I'm not a fat ass. I like the car. It is nicely finished and nice to drive. I think it is smaller than mid-size. The Lexus ES is mid-size, but it is too soft for my tastes.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't touch a Saab until I know they are going to survive and the dealers remain reasonable accessible.

The 2012 TL is better looking than the previous one, and is a very nice car to drive.

The A4 is not particularly roomy either, but it is a nice car.

The Infiniti G is a very nice car for the money, but very common.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Midsized near luxury sedan?

My picks would be the Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac CTS, and a Ford Taurus SHO.All three seem to be very nicely done and can hold their own against more expensive sedans such as the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes E Class. Sure the Germans have a better fit and finish but for the money, the three American sedans are difficult to beat!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The 9-5 is classed as a midsize. Saab has a shaky reputation quality wise to begin with, I really wouldn't be rushing in to buy one now when much more proven options exist. The IS is definitely in the compact class, not a mid-size. The S60 is a pretty traditional midsize offering.

I like the A4 recommendation, probably the best of the bunch listed above and I would call it a small midsize more than a compact these days.

SpeedyAZ's list has two full size cars, the LaCrosse and Taurus, both are nice offerings, but definitely not midsize. The CTS is a nice option and solidly midsize, but I would call it more luxury than "near luxury".

My personal midsize pick would probaly be the new Buick Regal, though like the A4 it is on the smaller end of midsize.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The 9-5 is classed as a midsize. Saab has a shaky reputation quality wise to begin with, I really wouldn't be rushing in to buy one now when much more proven options exist. The IS is definitely in the compact class, not a mid-size. The S60 is a pretty traditional midsize offering.

I like the A4 recommendation, probably the best of the bunch listed above and I would call it a small midsize more than a compact these days.

SpeedyAZ's list has two full size cars, the LaCrosse and Taurus, both are nice offerings, but definitely not midsize. The CTS is a nice option and solidly midsize, but I would call it more luxury than "near luxury".

My personal midsize pick would probaly be the new Buick Regal, though like the A4 it is on the smaller end of midsize.
I was wrong, the Taurus would be classified as a large car with a length of 202.9 inches but the Lacrosse is considered midsized with the outgoing Lucerne being the large car offering from Buick. All reviews of the Lacrosse I've come across all refer to it as a "midsized offering" even though it would be on the upper-end of that spectrum.

And I guess I would still classify the CTS as a near-luxury sedan competing with other near-luxury sedans such as the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class, and Lexus ES350.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I was wrong, the Taurus would be classified as a large car with a length of 202.9 inches but the Lacrosse is considered midsized with the outgoing Lucerne being the large car offering from Buick. All reviews of the Lacrosse I've come across all refer to it as a "midsized offering" even though it would be on the upper-end of that spectrum.

And I guess I would still classify the CTS as a near-luxury sedan competing with other near-luxury sedans such as the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class, and Lexus ES350.
It's not the length, but interior volume (passenger + cargo) that determines class. The Taurus is a full size, but barely. You are correct that the LaCrosse is a midsize, but again it comes in about an inch under a full size classification.

It's all semantics really. For instance, a Honda Accord sedan is technically a full size car, as is the new Hyundai Sonata, but no one really considers them to be "full size". Also, I said the Saab 9-5 was a midsize, but it is technically a full size car, even though it and the LaCrosse share the same platform and have similar exterior dimensions. (So, you're recommendation of the LaCrosse was a good one, )

I guess the only point I am trying to make is what does the OP consider "midsize" and what are they really looking for in a car.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Midsize: CTS, 5, E, GS, G

All of these are RWD luxury sport sedans.

I don't care too much for FWD in this category but they do make the TL in AWD and it gets good reviews i just don't care for it's looks.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
The CTS and G are entry level luxury and tweeners, not full luxury like the 5/E/GS.

Near luxury midsize is
Infiniit g
Caddy CTS
Lexus ES
Buick Regal
Acura TL
Toyota Avalon
Hyundai Genesis

These are cars priced in the 30s-40s but sized like cars in the 50s-60s

The Saab 9-5 is pretty big, 197 inches long. The Buick Lacrosse is pretty big too. The Acura TL is actully pretty big outside but inside is cramped considering the size of it.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The CTS and G are entry level luxury and tweeners, not full luxury like the 5/E/GS.

Near luxury midsize is
Infiniit g
Caddy CTS
Lexus ES
Buick Regal
Acura TL
Toyota Avalon
Hyundai Genesis

These are cars priced in the 30s-40s but sized like cars in the 50s-60s

The Saab 9-5 is pretty big, 197 inches long. The Buick Lacrosse is pretty big too. The Acura TL is actully pretty big outside but inside is cramped considering the size of it.
You are incorrect as usual. The CTS starts in the high 30s and gets up into the 50s when loaded and that does not include V models.

No one with any real experience or knowledge of the car business considers the CTS near luxury. it is a luxury car period. Only an import fanboy like yourself makes the moronic assumption that a CTS doesn't breach the 40s when that info is easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive