Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

Well. My 16 year old got in a minor accident. Broke our headlight and dented the fender a little. The other car got a dent in the door. I did not see it. This is what I was told. The problem here is she exchanged info (all of our info, and insurance) but only got his name and his driver license number, and a phone nbr. This guy is a Spanish speaker. My kid did not get the plate number or his address. Anyways, I don't want to use insurance. I want to pay to fix his car. I tried calling him, but no answer yet. I'm wondering I should inform insurance or not? Our rates are way too high already. I want to take care of this myself. What if he calls my insurance before I do? I don't want to call them. Help me figure this out. No injury, just a dent. On our car it's just a light assembly and a dent. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I would do the same thing you are trying to do. I have done this before.

But you gotta get a hold of the other driver to tell him what you want to do. I have no idea what to do though if they call insurance first.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
If I was the other driver, i'd be calling your insurance regardless. It's nothing personal, but if he goes through your insurance and hates the repair, he has some recourse...if you buy the repair, and he's not satisfied he'd be up a creek. I'd also highly doubt that suing you would do him much good, consider he had the choice to either use insurance or not...and he chose not, so he gets what he gets.

Also note, things can get more expensive quickly for you. You don't essentially have any say in what body shop he goes to. If the guy decides to take his vehicle to the dealership to get fixed, and you'd rather pay for Maaco, there might be a gap in what you and him want...

It does suck majorly to insure a 16 year old, but as you've illustrated, there's a reason it costs so much...they're just significantly more likely to get into accidents. Good luck on the fix, and getting a hold of this guy. If you're lucky, maybe he won't care enough to get the car fixed, and that'll be the end of it.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
It has always bothered me why people who pay for car insurance don't want to file a claim when involved in an accident.
You pay a yearly premium for that insurance, and if you don't use it when you have an accident, that is money you just gave to an insurance for no reason.
If you want to give your money too me, I will take it just as quickly as your insurance company will.
Stupid, stupid, stiupid to not file and claim what you are shelling out big bucks for.
The rate increase they would charge would be chump change compared to what it would cost out of pocket to fix even minimal damage to a vehicle.
Bob.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
It has always bothered me why people who pay for car insurance don't want to file a claim when involved in an accident.
You pay a yearly premium for that insurance, and if you don't use it when you have an accident, that is money you just gave to an insurance for no reason.
If you want to give your money too me, I will take it just as quickly as your insurance company will.
Stupid, stupid, stiupid to not file and claim what you are shelling out big bucks for.
The rate increase they would charge would be chump change compared to what it would cost out of pocket to fix even minimal damage to a vehicle.
Bob.
thats a good point but you went overboard with the stupids

Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.
would it, considering that it was a 16 year old that had the accident? chances are that their insurance rates will go up high enough that the minor cost of the repair would be paid for in the first year or two.

to the OP, i would call my agent and let them know that someone might be calling about a minor accident that your kid had, and that you want to pay for the repairs yourself. by the way, your kids DID get a police report, right? if not you could be paying for more than a minor accident, it happened to my grandmother many years ago.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Well. I called my agent. They know now. I did not file the claim completely yet. Stupid? Maybe. Here in Maryland we've already had most insurance companies refuse to cover us. It's a long story. We don't need another accident, but we got one anyways! Argh! The damage just isn't that bad and we have a $1000 deductible. Top it off with the number he gave us being no good and we think he doesn't want to be contacted. It seems this accident is his fault when I originally assumed it was my kid's fault. There's no police report so there's no proof! Argh! All we can do is wait to see if he contacts us.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Best line from a good friend of mine (handed down to him by his father). "Jake, i don't care if a priest hits you, you get a police report."

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Well. I called my agent. They know now. I did not file the claim completely yet. Stupid? Maybe. Here in Maryland we've already had most insurance companies refuse to cover us. It's a long story. We don't need another accident, but we got one anyways! Argh! The damage just isn't that bad and we have a $1000 deductible. Top it off with the number he gave us being no good and we think he doesn't want to be contacted. It seems this accident is his fault when I originally assumed it was my kid's fault. There's no police report so there's no proof! Argh! All we can do is wait to see if he contacts us.
I hate to be shady here, but if you have any reason to assume that the accident was his fault, and he contacts you, you could simply either say "what accident?", or say that you were waiting for him to call because you need to find out how he plans to pay for the damage to your car, which was estimated at $5137.28.

And tell your teen not to give out personal information at an accident scene, without at least retrieving equal or more information from the other party, or (preferably) with police present. I only say this because police in one of my 2 cities of residence, will not show up to an accident scene unless someone is bleeding or dead. That's not an exaggeration. Unless an ambulance is required, they won't show up, so there is no choice but to handle it on the side of the road.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
And tell your teen not to give out personal information at an accident scene, without at least retrieving equal or more information from the other party, or (preferably) with police present. I only say this because police in one of my 2 cities of residence, will not show up to an accident scene unless someone is bleeding or dead. That's not an exaggeration. Unless an ambulance is required, they won't show up, so there is no choice but to handle it on the side of the road.
Believe me. I have already "yelled" at her for giving out her info and only getting a little of his, and for not calling the cops. Nothing can be done about that now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive