Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 TDR 4 wheel drive. Looking at the v6 double cab. Any thoughts and is this a good vehicle..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
If you consider that the 2012 is the exact same truck as the 2011, there are 6 TSBs on it and one recall concerning the tire pressure system. There have been issues with the plastic bed cracking and it's considered a non warranty item by Toyota. There has been issues with a squeak at the right front windshield that Toyota considers a non warranty issue. And then there is the noisy injectors that a lot of folks complain about. All things considered, not bad, just not great. If that size truck has your interest, look at the Frontier. It gets better fuel mileage, has a much stronger transmission, is all metal, has zero recalls and zero TSBs, the 4.0 V6 has been on Wards Ten Best Engines list for years, but has lousy resale value. But all current models have lousy resale value so it's kinda not an issue. If you're looking for used, there a lot of Tacomas around but you'll have to look hard for a Frontier. Folks just don't get rid of them. The Frontier will also cost less to buy by several thousand and less to own. You can go by Edmunds and look up maintenance, Service Bulletins, and Recalls if you like.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you consider that the 2012 is the exact same truck as the 2011, there are 6 TSBs on it and one recall concerning the tire pressure system. There have been issues with the plastic bed cracking and it's considered a non warranty item by Toyota. There has been issues with a squeak at the right front windshield that Toyota considers a non warranty issue. And then there is the noisy injectors that a lot of folks complain about. All things considered, not bad, just not great. If that size truck has your interest, look at the Frontier. It gets better fuel mileage, has a much stronger transmission, is all metal, has zero recalls and zero TSBs, the 4.0 V6 has been on Wards Ten Best Engines list for years, but has lousy resale value. But all current models have lousy resale value so it's kinda not an issue. If you're looking for used, there a lot of Tacomas around but you'll have to look hard for a Frontier. Folks just don't get rid of them. The Frontier will also cost less to buy by several thousand and less to own. You can go by Edmunds and look up maintenance, Service Bulletins, and Recalls if you like.
So I'm guessing you like Frontier's?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The 2012 has had a major makeover from the 2011 mainly interior and exterior. The 4.0 V6 is another great engine from Toyota. The Tacoma is the best selling mid-sized truck for a very good reason. Everyone I know who has a Tacoma has never regretted getting one.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
If you want a midsize truck, the Tacoma is the market essentially and the only one I would recommend. Just know that you would spend about the same and get similar fuel economy stepping up to a fullsize. It all comes down to what you prefer/need, but if you want a truck and are only looking at the midsize for better efficiency, than it really doesn't have an edge and you might be better off with a fullsize.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
My wife and I looked at an 11 and decided aginst it. For the power price room and fuel econ you can get a full size.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
The makeover on the Tacoma for 2012 was minor. It's basically a facelift to keep sales going as a completely new truck based on the new 4-Runner is expected in 2013. That being said the 2012 is a great looking truck in my opinion and I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Granted the current truck has had some issues and they are not as bullet proof is the previous generation of trucks but this body style has been in production since 05 with minimal changes so most of the bugs have been worked out.

If you are a fan of the new 4-Runner I would certainly wait as the new Tacoma will be based on the 4-runner and most likely have a ton of the styling cues. If you want a Tacoma now I see no reason not to buy one.

As others have said. The Tacoma is the only small truck I would recommend. The Frontier is not a bad truck but it's not a Tacoma.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'm not even going to look this up, but I've never seen a vehicle that had no TSBs.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
I've owned several Taco's and they are awesome trucks. Don't believe me? Look at the resale value.

Go on any auto website and see the prices of used Taco's. They are a great midsize truck and offer a lot of performance and capability in a truck that will still fit in a garage or a city street.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 PM

479 posts, read 835,419 times
Tacoma's have always been a great truck. My favorite is the 1999 4x4.

If I were picking for me; I'd go with a Frontier. Being to me the Frontier just looks like it's begging to haul a couple of dirt bikes on the back. uh, but then again...the 2013 Canyon/Colorado's look really interesting. Just hope they make a "better" truck this time out.

No doubt whether the Tacoma or Frontier, one can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion