Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

OK, here's the problem.

I need to do a lot of travel to remote sites in the next year where motels are either very scarce or very pricey for old dumps.

So I need to either pull a small camping trailer, or use an RV. I'd think I'd rather have an RV, but a Class A is out of the question and Class C's are way bigger than I need for my solo travels.

So, you guys here with experience in these Class B RV's ...

which one(s) would you suggest as the better quality built ones?

Like everybody else, fuel economy is an issue for me. What fuel economy can I expect?

With the inclement road conditions around here during the winter months, would it be better to get an AWD van based Class B? or is this a losing proposition and I'm ahead to still drive my Subie OBW and head for the motels?

I've pencil'ed out some target numbers of costs where I can show a gain to have my own lodging and place to cook meals while out on the roads, and also have a mobile office for sales presentations. A plus is that there are many campground areas that I can use for free or at a very modest cost per night.

The unknown for me is the cost of buying the RV and operating it. I can't justify anything relatively new for this new venture, it's going to have to start off with a used (likely, older) RV. I gather most are built on Ford or GMC van chassis ... which is better?

Alternatively, how does a small camper work out on a Ranger-size 4x4 PU truck? I recall seeing some campers on small 4x4 Toyota PU's years ago, but never drove or worked on one of these.

Suggestions? What brand/motors would you consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Have you done much camping or RVing in your area? In this part of the country a huge percentage of campsites shut down for the winter. Something to look into.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Why not go rent a B class rv for a weekend just so you know the B's space limitations, if thats what you want then hit the classifieds in your area.
Makes like Roadtrek/Leisure Way/Pleasure Way are the top guns in B class.expect mpg's in the 12-18 range

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

I need to do a lot of travel to remote sites in the next year where motels are either very scarce or very pricey for old dumps.

I'd think I'd rather have an RV, but a Class A is out of the question
With the inclement road conditions around here during the winter months

Suggestions?
If your work requires you to have the "big damned pick up" anyway, which usually means you already own one, then use that to pull something. Something as nice as you can find like a 30 foot 5th wheel would be about perfect... until you get to winter use.

If your work DOESN'T require you to have the "big damned pick up" anyway then buy the Class A (which comes with the 3/4 or 1 ton truck included) and use that to pull an econobox car. This too will work well until winter.

Anything less than these two options, with bed and kitchen and bath and living room and storage space... and you may as well do nothing at all beyond pack some cooking gear and comfort amenities into the back of the minivan that you can tote into the cheap motel rooms.
--

Costs won't be cheap. In addition to the driving fuel and food... the +/-$20,000 minimum needed to buy something worth buying will still require steady maintenance and repairs to keep it close to being worth buying for the next guy who won't pay more than $10,000 two years later... until you get to winter use issue.

RV's that are meant for winter use cost a small fortune.

Tires, brakes, suspension, generators, water heaters, rooftop a/c, and of course fuel and oil...

Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Winter will be the biggest problem for the RV. A truck camper would work for winter (it'll be cold!), or you can get something for three seasons -- which would be a much more reasonable expectation from RV'ing.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
If you are going to be traveling daily, i.e. breaking camp and moving on, I would suggest that you think about a full sized cargo van with a carpeted, insulated floor and no RV amenities except a cooler and a Coleman stove. Stay at cheapo motel every couple of days for a shower and a shave and learn to use rest stops and public accommodations for your daily needs.

I've camped in my van and with a sleeping bag and the van closed up you can be pretty comfortable down to around freezing. I wouldn't want to be in there at -10 F. without a heater though.

I met a guy at an off road park living out of a van who had a water tank in his van that the truck heater hose ran through and warmed it up and he told me it would heat the van for 24 hours after a few hours of travel.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
A nice low miles, certified Pre-Owned late model 4x4 Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado 1500 with a Tow/Haul package and a winterized Camperette might be the way to go if you want to do it on the cheap...plus you could still tow your car behind it and still get decent fuel economy.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
I drag a 28 ft. tagalong when I am out of town, usually for a two month stretch.It is supposed to sleep 8, and it will, there just is no room for anything else. As long as I am alone it's cool, and be sure to get something with a polar package if plan to sleep without freezing to death! My next one will be a fifth wheel with at least two slide outs. Those suckers almost double your room inside. Live and learn, and like somone already mentioned, rent one to try it out.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
While I appreciate all of the replies so far ...

I am in the Rocky Mountains, and have extensive experience camping out year around for over 50 years here. I know what the winters are like, and I know where I can conveniently park a modest sized vehicle for overnight use. I know that some campgrounds are seasonal, but I know where the places are that I can use as needed. In some cases, the "city park" in small towns around here are open year-round and welcome one staying overnight with a modest rig. All the facilities I need have been scouted out, researched, and will meet my requirements. Other places would be no more than the parking area at a site, but that's OK for an overnight stay for my purposes. I know how to use a sunshower ... guys, I've been camping out in this region from my motorcycles and airplane for many years ... I know what the realities are for minimalist camping through traveling around in a Diamond Solitare Class A towing a lifeboat in the area.

While I already own several 3/4 ton diesel pick-up trucks for my farm/ranch use here in Wyoming, and I have borrowed an "alaskan hi-lo" type camper in the past for travels in the area, it's not what I want to use for this new sales job. Nor do I want to haul around your vision of a "home on the road" 28' or 30' gooseneck tagalong trailer with all the comforts of home just for my personal use. This isn't a pleasure trip or extended vacation travel use, it's just me heading out on the road in my territory to call on clients at remote small towns and mining camps throughout Wyoming, into NE, SD, and Northern CO.

So, let me get this back on track, OK? All I want and need is a unit that will give me a place to sleep comfortably (so it will need a small heater), keep food and a place to cook, wash-up facilities, a little table for client presentations/office work, and reasonable fuel economy. As I started the thread out, I can't justify a Class A (way too big and expensive), and even a Class C rig is bigger then I need or want.

I'd have been perfectly satisfied with an old Westphalia VW camper rig ... if it wasn't for the way too low HP and the poor performance at altitude here. I can't get around with one of these in our high winds, these things are way too slow pulling mountain grades. I've done my share of trips with these units in the past and I know what their capabilities and drawbacks are. They simply will not suffice for my purposes now, and they also tend to bring very top dollar among their collectors/supporters.

I'm not a newbie to the weather, climate, roads, camping, or travel in this region.

I have used Class A and Class C units past travels, as well as towed 30' GN or 5th wheel trailers with dual slide-outs and even clothes washer/dryer, entertainment centers, and all the travel comforts for extended trips. They are all far in excess of my current requirement for 3-4-5 day sales trips in the region, so I don't want the expense of hassles of operating these units.

I have a very specific purpose and need, and I'd like to know if you have specific recommendations as to a used CLASS B unit that has decent build quality, the amenities I seek ... and can tell me what kind of fuel economy to expect from it typically cruising at 65 mph max, with a lot of driving at 55 mph on country roads?

So, do any of you have experience with a Class B rig?

If you do, I'd sure appreciate your help on this. My thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-11-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Whats your price range? as Class B can be very expensive.
Personally i'd be looking at something like this one or something newer if you have the cash..

1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular Class B Van Conversion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive