Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

Hey , I have a 2001 Wrangler in good condition that I am considering trading title for title for a 1986 Corvette coupe with only 91K miles, manual transmission and overall in nice condition.... Good deal or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,179,994 times
I assume you have something else to drive in the Spokane winter, as the vette won't work well for that.

The 86 has the 5+1 or whatever it is oddball transmission, I think it was about 88 or 89 when the "real" 6-speed first showed up.

End of the day with older cars like this it's all about condition, the mileage does not tell all on that.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I assume you have something else to drive in the Spokane winter, as the vette won't work well for that.

The 86 has the 5+1 or whatever it is oddball transmission, I think it was about 88 or 89 when the "real" 6-speed first showed up.

End of the day with older cars like this it's all about condition, the mileage does not tell all on that.
Yep condition of both are good .... no vette is obviously a summer vehicle in this neck of the woods....

Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterbetter View Post
Yep condition of both are good .... no vette is obviously a summer vehicle in this neck of the woods....
Dude, seriously, you need to dig into the condition of the 'vette at least way beyond "yep, it's good" - and I'm not talking about the usual Dutch Uncle inspection of wear parts like tires, brake pads, etc. - does everything in the car work and work right? Has it ever been wrecked? How's the paint? And I don't mean, does it look OK from 20 feet away, but really get your mug down close to the surface and see what condition the paint is in.

I think likely "book" value of the Jeep is higher, but the difference in condition between the best and worst 86 'vette out there is stark.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Dude, seriously, you need to dig into the condition of the 'vette at least way beyond "yep, it's good" - and I'm not talking about the usual Dutch Uncle inspection of wear parts like tires, brake pads, etc. - does everything in the car work and work right? Has it ever been wrecked? How's the paint? And I don't mean, does it look OK from 20 feet away, but really get your mug down close to the surface and see what condition the paint is in.

I think likely "book" value of the Jeep is higher, but the difference in condition between the best and worst 86 'vette out there is stark.
take your 2 cents with a grain of salt ...I restored a few chevy's from the ground up a couple of yrs back, thanks but I know what to look for...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM

780 posts, read 2,930,699 times
Keep your Wrangler, a trailer-park Corvette is best be avoided.

PS: it's "4+3".

Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterbetter View Post
take your 2 cents with a grain of salt ...I restored a few chevy's from the ground up a couple of yrs back, thanks but I know what to look for...
Well if you know what you are doing, and you are driving the Jeep and looking at the 'vette - what kind of useful input can you get from people on an internet board who have never seen either vehicle?

Right, 4+3 transola - my impression is that the "real" 6-speed is a better deal.

Good luck with your deal should you decide to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive