Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times

Advertisements

God I just love those Lexus "December to Remember" ads on television where the husband surprises the wife with a new Lexus in the driveway. Does this really happen?

I've known of a couple rare instances where the husband has given a car to his spouse for Christmas but these events are few and far between.

I've always thought it'd be a neat idea- to put keys in a little box and have a brand new car sitting in the driveway with a big, red bow...but sadly I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around in an endless pot of gold.

Has this ever happened to anyone you know? Has this ever happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
I always say that every time these commercials come on. How many people are they really reaching with this ad?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
I think it's more for the ad campaign...I do have a friend who bought his wife a BMW 5 series for their anniversary. He lives in Qatar, and flies for Qatar Airways with paid housing, and making about $10k/month...apparently he had plenty of expendable income.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
LOL! My sister said the same thing. We were cracking up about this!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
God I just love those Lexus "December to Remember" ads on television where the husband surprises the wife with a new Lexus in the driveway. Does this really happen?

I've known of a couple rare instances where the husband has given a car to his spouse for Christmas but these events are few and far between.

I've always thought it'd be a neat idea- to put keys in a little box and have a brand new car sitting in the driveway with a big, red bow...but sadly I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around in an endless pot of gold.

You know what I think when I see those spots?

"Merry Christmas, Honey! I just went out and committed us to 36 months of expensive lease payments on a car you didn't even get to pick out!"

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times
WOW! I was just looking on her for a post like this. This happened to a co-worker of mine. Her husband is a "contractor" of sorts. I don't ask, she don't tell. I'm not bitter, I just love her and his cars. LOL Anyways, surprised her after work with a brand new CTS-V coupe in the parking lot. Bow on it an everything. Apparently the sales guy drove it there, dropped it off, and then had another guy pick him up. She came out looking for her old car and called her husband thinking it was stolen. He told her what was what and she went out there and the keys were in there. Que nice.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I'm sorry, but anyone that does something like this is a huge a**clown IMHO.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I did it one time in 1988 with a then new Turbo Supra. It was the exact car the wife wanted too. The following year I found myself single and wondering why I was so stupid. I would never do anything like that again.....including marriage.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
I bought my wife a new Chevy Blazer one year for Christmas. I believe that was in 1997. It was what she wanted.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
December is usually a very good month for luxury makes. Not so much with other makers until the last few years when december sales have actually pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive