Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The other thing is that as far as I am aware, the fuel pumps in the US cut out when they detect some kind of splashback and will not let you top the tank up.

Here when the pump cuts out, because you do not have a system where the pump nozzle is locked, you can continue to top the tank up slowly. I've added well over another (UK) gallon or more in this way.

I've always heard that it is a bad idea try to squeeze in more fuel...that it damages the vapor recovery system.

Not true? Or maybe UK cars don't have such a system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I vote for some kind of conspiracy.
Best response of thread.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I have a Toyota and my mom's Rav4 is the same way - 15.9 gallon tank but she's never gotten more in it than 13.5. Why do they lie?
They don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The other thing is that as far as I am aware, the fuel pumps in the US cut out when they detect some kind of splashback and will not let you top the tank up.

Here when the pump cuts out, because you do not have a system where the pump nozzle is locked, you can continue to top the tank up slowly. I've added well over another (UK) gallon or more in this way.
This is not the case. Pumps here work pretty much as you describe over there.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
There's always about 2 gallon reserve. The gas also keeps the in tank fuel pump from heating up and burning out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
What nitram said.
x3. unless you are running the tank dry every time you stop for fuel, there is generally going to be about a gallon or so left in the tank, and thus you are not going to fully fill the tank every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've always heard that it is a bad idea try to squeeze in more fuel...that it damages the vapor recovery system.

Not true? Or maybe UK cars don't have such a system?
it doesnt hurt the vapor recovery system so much as fool the computer. when you overfill the tank, you end up with a rich mixture for several miles until the vapor system gets rid of the liquid fuel, at which time the fuel mixture returns to normal. this can over time shorten the life of the catalytic converter though because of the overly rich mixture, and it does affect your fuel economy as well.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Really it is George Bush, he intended to charge by the rated tank capacity rather than actual gallons. (It works for Hertz)

or... if it is gas (likely if it is a RAV4 in USA) then you don't ever want to be FULL. gas expands, and reacts very violently if it is confined

now on my diesels (I don't do GAS...ick / dangerous / explosive). I do 'ventectomies'* on the fuel tanks so they can hold entire volume. DO NOT ATTEMPT this on a Gasoline vehicle

How to remove the fuel tank vent (ventectomy) on a VW TDI diesel engine - YouTube

13 gallons in a GAS vehicle would get you no where far, I could only get 650 miles between fuel stops, That would be very irritating since I am used to 1200 miles between potty breaks.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I can only get a half a tank in my car. I am thinking that is because I fill it at half a tank or maybe because the cost of gas is so high I can only afford half a tank. LOL.

The truth is that I learned a long time ago that I want to make sure that I am sitting on at least a half tank of gas. Ever been in a major emergency and needed to stop for gas? So much better to plan ahead.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
When the E light turns on, my car as about 120 miles left according to the range computer. I don't get the E often, but it is nice to know that I'll have enough gas to get to a gas station in even the most remote areas of the North East.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
a good way to check is to fill it up to the brim. They drive it until it stops due to no fuel and then refill it to the brim. Then you will see for sure how much fuel it really holds.Note gasoline can expand up to 10% according to temperature.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I've always heard that it is a bad idea try to squeeze in more fuel...
Actually it is true. There has to be some air in the tank inorder to create the vacuum for the pump to function correctly. Without enough air in the tank, the pump has to work harder to move the gas. Its like comparing a normal straw for drinking to a plastic stirrer straw. The small hole the stirrer requires alot more suction thus leading to early pump failure. Thus upon fillup once its clicks, stop filling and hang the handle.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I have a Toyota and my mom's Rav4 is the same way - 15.9 gallon tank but she's never gotten more in it than 13.5. Why do they lie?
I can drive 40 -50 miles in my Corolla after the warning light goes on. Simply put, the gas tank is never totally empty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive