Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Nothing you listed above is detailing. It's simple car cleanup. It is physically impossible to do a true detail on any car in 2 hours or less. If you're paying $125-200 for this, you're getting taken to the cleaners.
Dude, this is business. If you have customers that will pay $125-$200 for two hours of work, why not do it and make the money. Common people are familiar with the term 'detailing.' So that is what you should call it.

Why are you so offended by providing two hours of service?

Look at these packages. Are they eight hours of work? http://www.automotiveperfection.biz/...lumbia-sc.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Check these out this is were i use to live, detailing is very saturated and the prices reflect it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/...ry=auto+detail

Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Check these out this is were i use to live, detailing is very saturated and the prices reflect it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/...ry=auto+detail
Any service involving car wax is still in the $100 range. Detailing can be good money if you like cars and have the right business model.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
As always, a good place to start is youtube to see what kinds of things need to be done. I recall detailing a brand new Studebaker Lark convertible (Like a Mustang in 1961) with my brother spending hours before a Concours and being marked down for stuff like dirt under the trunk lid cover and inside the gas cap.
It is very tedious work.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM

19,049 posts, read 27,620,833 times
There is a guy in Britain who charges over 5 000 pounds to detail a vehicle. He takes 3 days I believe to do one.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
As always, a good place to start is youtube to see what kinds of things need to be done. I recall detailing a brand new Studebaker Lark convertible (Like a Mustang in 1961) with my brother spending hours before a Concours and being marked down for stuff like dirt under the trunk lid cover and inside the gas cap.
It is very tedious work.
Did you have a menu of services or a package description? If trunk lid cover isn't mentioned, then don't expect it to be cleaned. Or did you indicate you were a high end detailer offering to clean every single surface?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:58 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Dude, this is business. If you have customers that will pay $125-$200 for two hours of work, why not do it and make the money. Common people are familiar with the term 'detailing.' So that is what you should call it.

Why are you so offended by providing two hours of service?

Look at these packages. Are they eight hours of work? Auto Detailing | Columbia, SC
Business has nothing to do with it. Common people are familiar with the term "detailing" because people who don't know what they're doing throw the word around too often and make people believe that is what they're getting.

Ever wonder why it's called detailing and not car cleaning? There's a distinct difference. It's in the name itself. Detailing requires getting into all of the little nooks and crannys and not overlooking the details (see, there it is again). A 2 hour quick clean up hits the high spots.

Go to YouTube and look up AmmoNYC or Car Cleaning Guru and watch a few of their videos. THAT is detailing. If you have customers willing to pay $125-200 for 2 hours worth of work then they're gullible and the person taking advantage of that by advertising their services as true detailing should be ashamed. It's completely unethical.

Using the link that you posted.... here are my questions.

Full Detail
• Deluxe Wash - How is it washed... by hand and mitt, by pressure washer, etc?
•*Chamois Dry
• Express Wax - Is this a spray on wax or a hand wax?
• Wheels & Tires Cleaned and Dressed - Are the wheels wiped down with a cloth, or truly scrubbed?
• Door, Hood & Trunk Jambs Cleaned
• Vacuumed Carpet, Seats & Mats
• Clean and Conditioned, Vinyl & Plastic - Is it cleaned, or just spot cleaned and wiped over with dressing?
•*Detail All Small Areas of the Vehicle - They would need to quantify this.... Likely it means they brush dirt out of the vents, run a brush over the seams of surfaces, and vacuum just what can be seen at a quick glance.
• Spot Clean Mats*- So no full carpet and upholstery shampoo.....
• Clean Windows*
• Air Freshened
Car...................Starting* At $160.00
Mid-size SUV...................$170.00
Large SUV...................$180.00
XL SUV...................$210.00
Approximate Time: 1 to 1.5 hour *

This package is NOT a full detail. Not even close. It's a dealer level cleanup that really only costs about $40-60 max. I can get the same level of cleanup at our local car wash for $30.
http://www.leesmagictunnel.com/index...d=48&Itemid=29

A full on detail is listed at the prices you posted above:
http://www.leesmagictunnel.com/index...d=50&Itemid=53

You could probably get away with classifying their "Deluxe Detail" as a mostly complete detail service but their Perfection signature service is a true detail. Note how they don't actually give you times on those. I wonder why.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM

^You don't understand business or marketing. Feel free to spend all day on one car for $200.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM

I completely understand business and marketing. I also understand false advertising, which is exactly what people do when they offer a "detailing" service that only takes 1.5 hours and charge over $200 to do it. Go talk to real detail shops and ask them.... you don't have to take my word for it. What it does do is force real detailing services to lose business because someone comes in claiming to do detail work in a 5th of the time. To the uneducated, they assume that they're getting the same level of service from both when that is far from reality.

I've owned a detailing business so I would say that I understand it quite well. In higher end areas, detailers can charge more. But you can't charge $500-$1k for a Toyota Camry in my area. You'd have to detail high end cars to demand those prices. It's market driven.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Another way to look at it is like this:

Let's say a 2 Michelin star chef opens a high-end restaurant that uses only local, fresh ingredients. Nothing frozen. Their seafood comes in fresh daily and they spend hours preparing all of the food for the night's service. If he says you're getting mahi-mahi, that's what it is. They advertise as such. Let's say a mahi-mahi dinner with one side and a drink costs $55.

Now, Joe Blow, the line cook from the local bar opens up a restaurant that uses frozen ingredients that he has shipped in and uses a microwave on a lot of the dishes to thaw out the food as an order comes in. Let's say he advertises as using fresh ingredients and markets his business as a high end restaurant. Let's say a mahi-mahi dinner (he really uses some other cheaper fish) with one side and a drink costs $55.

If you knew the difference between the two establishments, which would you choose to go to? The one that correctly advertises their skills and products or the one that has you fooled into believing that $15 dinner is as good as the chef's dinner?

Last edited by Nlambert; 01-17-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive