Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM

14,471 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

On what parts, at a parts yard, should we be paying an "environmental fee?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Depends upon the operation. They can charge the fees as they see fit to do, and in some business areas, there are environmental costs which must be passed on to the customers or absorbed by the business.

Given that most parts yards are negotiable on price, you are essentially paying their costs in the price of any part you purchase. To itemize an environmental fee on top of that is a means of being sure that the operation doesn't let that percentage of their business cash flow walk out the door.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM

14,471 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Depends upon the operation. They can charge the fees as they see fit to do, and in some business areas, there are environmental costs which must be passed on to the customers or absorbed by the business.

Given that most parts yards are negotiable on price, you are essentially paying their costs in the price of any part you purchase. To itemize an environmental fee on top of that is a means of being sure that the operation doesn't let that percentage of their business cash flow walk out the door.
The local U-Pull-It yard used to charge $1.00 to enter.
Now it's $2.00.
No cash refunds even if you pay $1.00 per day for the warranty.
You get a credit that never expires, or an exchange for another part.

I paid $5.00 for a power window switch.
The $1.00 warranty + tax.

They charged me an environmental fee of $1.95 on a $5.00 switch.

I thought environmental items might be batteries, tires, parts that contain oil or fluids, etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
I'd rather see deposits charged on certain parts to encourage people to return the old parts. But bigger deposits than some stupid $5 fee on a $80 battery. Charging a small environmental fee leads some to believe they've just bought a license to dispose of the part however and where ever they want.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
When in business selling New auto Parts and rebuilding engines had to pay a waste hazard fee to the state. Across from my business was (unkown to me) a meth lab during night or weekend hrs. On a mid day sun it caught on fire and guess who paid for the cleanup that took 9 hrs.

Same with a car/truck oil/diesel spill of some major proportion...we all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive