Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

a) The MS6 interior is cheap and spartan compared to the Legacy GT, and Subaru is not really known for its plush, well-appointed interiors;

b) the MS6 may have better handling (compared to the GT anyway; definitely not compared to the STi), but the price you pay is a car with the ride compliance of a truck;

c) The MS6 has a crappy Haldex AWD system, meaning it's basically FWD until the front wheels start to slip, and therefore has much of the handling feel and characteristic of a FWD car;

d) the MS6's inline engine is is rough and buzzy compared to the Suby's boxer.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the MS6 and it's on my short list of cars to buy once I graduate from school and can afford a new-ish car. Mostly, it's frustrating that Subaru knows it can reliably get as much as 295HP out of the very engine sitting in the Legacy GT (that's what it puts out in the STi) and instead it's tuned to 245HP. If they had given the GT at least 275HP, it would probably be one step ahead of the MS6 on my shopping list.

Any way you look at it though, the STi absolutely owns the MS6. If your friend traded an STi for an MS6, performance improvement must not have been a primary consideration. The only reason the STi isn't on my shopping list is I can't stand its "look-at-me" boy-racer look. The 2006+ STi's, thankfully, are pretty easy to make look like a regular Impreza: swap out the seats with stock Impreza seats, ditch the ironing board on trunk masquerading as a wing, and you're there.

Last edited by Drover; 10-10-2007 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Mine has to be the one I now own, a 1995 Mazda Protege. It has over 194,000 miles on it and is rock-solid reliable. I'm going to see how long I can drive this car before it decides to kick up its little wheels and die.

I've posted a picture of what mine looks like on other threads, so here it is again:

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
My favorite has to be my first Porsche, a '67 912. Purchased it with 72,000 miles in 1972, unfortunately it suffered from the dreaded rust belt car pox. I also have very fond memories of a ,72 Datsun 510, '93 Miata, and an '85 Porsche Carrerra. My current car, an '04 Honda s2000 is the best of the lot as far as reliability, driveablity and performance, but I still miss that 912.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
I always loved our 1993 Audi 90. It was the forerunner to the A4. It was a fairly simple car to work on - with the exception of the blasted timing belt! Handled like a dream and got an honest 28 MPG. I never would have parted with that car, but it got shot out from under me by some totally unpredictable black ice. RIP

These days my daily driver is actually 2 cars: Both are Volvo 240s - an '87 and an '89. I usually take the one that is closest to the end of the driveway. They're rear wheel drive and actually quite reliable in snow. Weight distribution is nearly perfect between the axles and they go pretty much anywhere. Easy to work on too. I thought the handling of these cars was a little wonky at first, but then learned that they're supposed to be that way to keep things right side up. Such solid cars - I can drive them for hours and hours without fatigue... I'll buy another someday.

And speaking of the Dodge Stratus: We just got back from vacation and the one my wife has was a pleasure to drive. The seats could have been a little more comfortable for my liking and there is no way to manually access 2nd gear with her automatic. Other than that I really liked it!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Cars tie between a 1984 Nisan Pulsar NX and a 1987 honda CRX . Loved them both never had an issue of anykind.
Trucks 1994 Toyota with the 22 re 4 cyl. and my current 2000 tacoma. Both flawless. 2000 tacoma has 214,000 miles on her and running great. 0 factory defects, 0 breakdowns, 0 issues.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
The best car I owned was a 96 Toyota Paseo. I had it for 6 years, beat the **** out of it, and the only repair that I had to do was a $50 o2 sensor that crapped out on me. Amazingly reliable and worth every penny.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
1990 Stanza - Our first Nissan. Wife wanted a car that fit her, not us (13" difference in height) and chose this. Had it for 13 years. Basic maintenance for the most part. Had one leak in a transmission line. After 13 years she traded it in on a

2003 Maxima - Like driving a tank. The most solid feeling automobile I've ever driven. Good mileage, plenty of safety features. Amazing highway car. Put the spoiler on it so she could see where the rear of the car was. Not the intended use, but it works for her. We did put slightly undersized tires on it because the factory tires 1. Were crap on snow and ice, and 2. The wheel wells would load up with snow and cause problems. Found some 1" smaller with the "V" tread and they work great.

1995 Maxima - What I bought when I needed a new car last time. Yes, I'm still driving it. 118k miles. Runs like a top. Dealer says if I continue with the maintenance schedule it should last for 200k. I'll probably trade it in or sell it within the next two years. Looking at the Murano, and am intrigued by the Outlook and it's cousins. I did a spreadsheet last summer using 8 SUV's and the Murano came out on top in almost all categories - load capacity, miles on a tank, seating space (I'm no midget!), etc. Mileage was 2nd.

1979 Saab 900 - Well this was one heck of a car. No one could fix it if it broke, but when was running right it was a blast. Absolutely the best highway car I've ever driven. Had those big JCOW handles for the passengers so they could hold on when I got a wild hair going. Oh, JCOW - Jesus Christ! Oh Wow! I'd do it again if I thought they built a car that didn't need constant maintenance.

Which is why I stopped buying American. I tried, man I tried, and I wasn't pleased when I realized I knew every service man at the dealer by their first name. That alone should tell you something. Fords, Mercs, Chevys, Olds, Cadillacs. Spent more money on them per vehicle (and dumped most in 4 years) than I have on the Nissans I keep for 10 or more. I've learned my lesson.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Of the cars I owned, I can pick out three favorites:

1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, triple black, 96,000 miles. Cadillac engines and drivetrain of the '60s (and '70s and '50s) are known for lasting a long time, and that's certainly true with this one... 38 years old and neither the engine or transmission have been rebuilt or even had major work done on them. The big 472-cu-in engine, with its 375 (gross) hp and 525 (gross) lbs-ft torque provide plenty of power. One magazine tested a '68 Coupe de Ville (same engine as my '69 Fleetwood) and wound out 1st gear to 60 mph and 2nd gear to an amazing 97 mph!
The long 133" wheelbase provides plenty of room and the there are footrest in the rear compartment. The A/C is very cold (it still uses the old R-12 freon). The car looks great in black and with all that chrome. Real (steel) bumpers, too! The car weighs 5,060 lbs.

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, triple black, 98,000 miles. I always liked limos and since older ones aren't too expensive I figured why not own one? Mine is #246 of 834 '76 limos built by Cadillac. This is one long car. In fact, at 252.2" (just over 21 feet), it's the longest post-war car made. Wheelbase is 151.5" and it weighs 6,040 lbs (I had it weighed). To say that this car has a smooth ride would be an understatement! I see other cars bouncing over bumps which don't even bother my limo. The 500-cu-in engine is super-smooth and even with the great weight of the car, it has no problem merging on freeway onramps. The rear compartment has a separate climate control system and auxillary radio controls. There is also a power glass partition window and jump seats (it is a 9-passenger car). A big car with a soft suspension but it handles surprisingly well- I can drive through curves with a 35 mph speed limit at 45-50 mph.

1966 Dodge Dart GT V-8. My first car, owned from 1979-2002. Being a car guy I modified it for more fun... dual exhaust, 4-bbl Carter AFB 500 cfm carb, Holley aluminum intake manifold, electronic ignition and shift kit. The 273-cu-in engine made good power and averaged about 15 mpg (even with the way I drove it). The original transmission lasted a little over 20 years (too many powerbrake burnouts- not the transmission's fault). The engine tolerated all kinds of burnouts and full-throttle starts; it was rebuilt in 1990 only because it was burning oil, it was still running fine.

I've been spoiled by the low-end torque the American engines make so I will only buy American cars. I also prefer the '60s/early '70s styling and overall reliability of American cars.

I'm not really planning to buy more cars, but next on my list would be:

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum.
1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Default Volvo for Life - Volvo Saved My Life

First, I have to comment on the OP's AMC Pacer. AMC in general brings back fond memories because they were the only cars my pops would ever own. My mom used to say they were shyt, but my dad was stupid & didn't know any better (yeah, I know, great family...lol). But, the truth is, they never had any problems with any of them - they ran & ran & ran with little to no care given to regular maintenance of them. My pops loved them & that alone makes them a favourite for me. But, in my senior year of high school my best friend had a Pacer - what a tank. We thought it was atrocious looking - but it got us where we wanted to go. She messed up one day & nearly coulda killed us by slamming into a vintage Chevy Truck - in mint condition. Completely destoyed the entire front quarter panel & front bumper in the truck & barely had a single dent on the Pacer. That turned out okay though - they truck owner became my prom date...lol!

Me, my favourite cars ever & ever are Volvo's. I had a '98 Volvo S70 - wonderful car. Was hit while stopped in traffic on the interstate by a car going 70+ mph. I walked away from that accident (not unscathed, but I did walk away). The car was only a couple years old & was totalled. My next Volvo was a '99 S80. Christmas eve '02 I was broad-sided by a woman hurrying to get to Target before it closed. Over $10,000 in damage, but I walked away from that one too. Both accidents were severe enough that I very well could have been killed. My son & dog were in the second accident with me.

They are the safest, most comfortable (the seats are fantastically comfortable), & one of the smoothest rides on the road. I love everything about Volvo (except that it is now owned by Ford) & if I had my choice it would be the only car I ever own. I love the old funky ones & I love the newer sleaker ones. I simply love them! (did I say that I love them yet?)

Old 10-13-2007, 07:04 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Me, my favourite cars ever & ever are Volvo's. I had a '98 Volvo S70 - wonderful car. Was hit while stopped in traffic on the interstate by a car going 70+ mph. I walked away from that accident (not unscathed, but I did walk away). The car was only a couple years old & was totalled. My next Volvo was a '99 S80. Christmas eve '02 I was broad-sided by a woman hurrying to get to Target before it closed. Over $10,000 in damage, but I walked away from that one too. Both accidents were severe enough that I very well could have been killed. My son & dog were in the second accident with me.
Did you ever tell Volvo corporate about the two times your Volvos saved your lives? If you go to the Volvo website, there are links on how to join the "how Volvo saved my Life" club. I understand that if you do this, they will give you a new Volvo for free, or at least they used to.

I remember reading a story about a woman in AZ whose beloved older Volvo wagon got t-boned at an intersection by a car running a red light. Volvo offered her a new wagon, but she refused and said she wanted to replace it with the exact same year and model of the one that got totalled. Her old one had about a 100K miles on it. I would have taken the car, then sold it to buy the older one.

My first car was a 122s wagon. I would buy a Volvo, but it HAS to have a manual transmission. I'm thinking about one day owning a '93 240 wagon as it's an OBD1 vehicle and it came with a manual transmission.

I HATE automatic transmissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive