Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

The radio, clock and dome light have all stopped working on my Camry. I replaced the fuse for the radio and replaced the light bulb for the dome light with no success. I have also removed the radio and determined that there is no "sub-fuse" in the wiring behind it. Should I be looking someplace other than the fuse box for source of this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
The Camry probably has similar wiring to my Pontiac Vibe (which is a Toyota Matrix under the skin). The stock radio gets power from 3 places, the radio fuse, the dome fuse and the tail light circuit. The dome fuse powers the dome light and the clock and keeps the preset memory alive in the radio. Is it the original radio, or aftermarket? If aftermarket, they may have tapped into the dome light power to run the radio instead of the radio fuse. Check for a dome light fuse to see if it is blown.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
That is some good advice given and good things to check, however, the 1996 Camry has nothing in common with Pontiac Vibe. The '96 Camry's only "cousin" was the Lexus ES300.

The later Toyota Matrix however did share its chassis with the Pontiac Vibe.

I had a Camry like this, but never no electrical problems. These Camrys typically had the most reliable electrical systems out there. Strange this one is giving a problem.

Have you been able to determine with a volt meter if power is going to any of the lights you mentioned are out?

Was the fuse blown when you first removed it?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
You need a test light and a wiring diagram to locate the problem. Most likely it is an easy fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion