Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to start the car shopping process. I'm considering doing an all my negotiating online and agreeing to a price before I even do a test drive. That way, I can theoretically walk in with a check made out for the agreed upon purchase price and drive out.

Anyone done this? What did you learn? Did you make any mistakes? Did the dealer try to change the price once you were there in person?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
I did it recently and although the dealership I eventually bought from had an online shopping system in reality it was another tool to get you to come down to the dealership. Funnily enough, the salesman couldn't (wasn't allowed?? not sure what the deal was) to scan documents. He worked around it by emailing me from his personal email address. WTF?!

Anyhoo, eventually we got it done. The only other dealership out of five that would negotiate seriously online went away when I told them I was not in the country (in process of moving) and would not be showing up that afternoon or anytime soon.

In short, it will vary from dealer to dealer even within a brand.

If you can help it, I would advise against shopping on line as I suspect you'll be able to get a better deal shopping in person thus giving the appearance of being serious and being able to play off the dealerships against each other. That said, I think I did get a pretty good deal, just likely not the best.

And yes, they did try to up the price when I showed up, I told the salesman (same one who I dealt with online) I'd walk out in 5 minutes if he didn't come back with our original price. No problems after that.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
I'm doing this now (Subaru Outback) but I testdrove it first to make sure it's the car I want. I'll let you know what happened.
I'm sure the dealer will try to sell you on extra stuff while you're there.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm doing this now (Subaru Outback) but I testdrove it first to make sure it's the car I want. I'll let you know what happened.
I'm sure the dealer will try to sell you on extra stuff while you're there.
Thanks, will be really interested to hear how it goes. What I'd suggest is also having the sales manager (or whoever has the authority to give the final price approval) confirm via email that the price you're agreeing to is what you can write on a check and walk into the dealership with. "Out the door price" is what we're trying to get to and if the sales manager won't confirm that number in an email (legal record), then you know they're going to try and bump you with extras or other fees when you are in there physically.

Let me know what happens.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
I know some think dealers are the scum of the earth but let's be fair.
Test drive one first and make sure it is the car you want and they have the trim and color you want first.
No point of having the sales person do all the leg work and it's not even the car you want nor do they have one to sell to you.

Having said that, I can't think of any pitfalls and it saves a lot of leg work. But at the end of the day, usually and not always, you will probably need to close the deal at the dealership. I did most of my shopping online when I bought my Honda Oddy. Got a price from 1 dealer that I was comfortable with and took that price to another dealer and had them beat it all via email. However, this took about 2-3 weeks. Many times, they ignore your email communication request and will call you and want to talk to you over the phone to which I simply politely say "I am at work, please send me a quote via email" and hang up.

However, as you have mentioned, work with out the door price as some will conveniently not include destination fee and etc. One comment that always that gets their heart rates up a bit is to say, "For $x, I can be there tomorrow to finish the deal. What time do you close?"

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

I actually don't think car dealers are scum, they're in the business to make money. I'm in sales as well so I know how they feel. That being said, as the consumer, I'm in the business to spend as little as possible and still get what I want.

I already know the make/model/year ect of what I want. I will find a number of dealers that have this vehicle (cars are a commidity after all), call to confirm it's on the lot and it matches what they have online and then I'll negotiate a price. If we come to an out the door number I'm happy with, I'll come test drive and have a mechanic inspect it.

How's that sound as a strategy?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM
C8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I actually don't think car dealers are scum, they're in the business to make money. I'm in sales as well so I know how they feel. That being said, as the consumer, I'm in the business to spend as little as possible and still get what I want.

I already know the make/model/year ect of what I want. I will find a number of dealers that have this vehicle (cars are a commidity after all), call to confirm it's on the lot and it matches what they have online and then I'll negotiate a price. If we come to an out the door number I'm happy with, I'll come test drive and have a mechanic inspect it.

How's that sound as a strategy?
Oh... you are looking at a used car?
Hmm... it might be quite different. The reason why I say this is because 2 cars of the same make/model/trim/year can be substantially different. I can see the sales person saying something along the lines of "Come and test drive first. There is no point on negotiating price if this is not the car you want."

Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Oh... you are looking at a used car?
Hmm... it might be quite different. The reason why I say this is because 2 cars of the same make/model/trim/year can be substantially different. I can see the sales person saying something along the lines of "Come and test drive first. There is no point on negotiating price if this is not the car you want."
But in reality, if I know the make/model/color/year/engine/trim/mileage range, etc, they should all pretty much be the same. Maybe one is cleaner than the other or something like that but there's not going to be any vast differences, especially when using a cars.com or other site to compare a lot of the same car from different dealers.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
Quote:
But in reality, if I know the make/model/color/year/engine/trim/mileage range, etc, they should all pretty much be the same.
Theoretically, maybe, practically, not a chance. I wouldn't attempt to shop online for a used car, way too many variables and you're unlikely to find enough comparable vehicles at reputable dealerships.

Recently I was shopping for a specific 2011/12 low mileage CPO (ended up going new for ~13% more) and it was down to three cars. In one the leather was worn a bit too much for my liking and another had a suspicious smell, not strong, but enough to say no. Pictures would not have been enough.

Yes, you can always say no when you get there (and possibly lose a deposit?) but after all that work....

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 PM
C8N

Quote:
But in reality, if I know the make/model/color/year/engine/trim/mileage range, etc, they should all pretty much be the same. Maybe one is cleaner than the other or something like that but there's not going to be any vast differences, especially when using a cars.com or other site to compare a lot of the same car from different dealers.
I agree with BDFP.

In theory, they should be the same but on all practicality, a car will perform very differently based on how it was maintained and/or driven. For example if the car requires premium fuel and it has been fed anything less by the previous owner, that car will lose engine performance. In addition, negotiating between the two same cars won't work as well it would on a new car. A sales person can simply say, "i don't know the condition of that other car to compare" and your argument would lose ground. Not to mention, one car could have been taken in by the dealer at a higher price and you would not be able to negotiate as much as you would have on the other car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive