Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:04 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times

Advertisements

I've been a car gal all my life, from the time I was a little girl with model cars, turned my dollhouse into a garage for my cars, could name every car on the road as soon as I could speak, etc. When I started making decent money, I had a string of luxury leases -- your Beemers, Cadillacs, Infinitis, etc. Not the most expensive models but certainly not the cheapest. Now I'm retired. I have an Acura lease with a year to go. I know financially I SHOULD get something cheap like a Corolla or Civic. But having driven my Mom's Corolla for a couple years after she died, I know I won't be happy. Yeah, it's probably some deep-seated insecurity on my part....or is it? To me, a car is not just something to get you from one place to another. I am super into cars and way into the details like the size of the wheels, fog lights, etc. Considering whether to blow the budget by getting something I really can't afford but will put a smile on my face every time I get in it. Just wondering if others are like this about their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:34 AM

348 posts, read 372,650 times
A V6 Camry or V6 Accord are very near "luxury" and I think they are better than most entry level "luxury" cars - BMW 320i, Audi A4, Mercedes C300, Lexus IS250, etc. The Camry and Accord don't have the badge but they have more power, more refinement and of course far better reliability (than the German cars at least). A slightly used one (1-3 years old) can be had for well less than $25,000.

I like power, sound, and feel (manual transmission or dual clutch automatic) so this has me driving and looking at high end level "luxury" cars - BMW 335i, Audi S4, Infiniti Q50, etc. Been a huge car guy all my life but I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't easily afford. Having good finances in these modern times is critical.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
I actually have a soft spot for junky sports cars. Especially the Nissan ones from the 80s and 90s, older Mustangs, 90s Mitsubishis etc. there's a primitive feel to them that makes you feel very connected and in control. I don't like new luxury cars that much. I don't feel like I'm driving.

I also have a soft spot for the older import small trucks/SUVs like the Tacoma/Hardbody and 4Runner/Montero/Pathfinder for the same reasons except the can leave paved surfaces which is a plus in AZ.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Maybe time for a Vette =
Review: The Ferocious New Corvette Z06 Is an $80K Ferrari-Killer | WIRED

Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,435 times
I could care less about the car I drive, and yes I could buy anything I want, personally I sleep better knowing that money is in the market earning more money

Old 09-30-2015, 04:21 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
I've never understood why people buy luxury cars. For example, in my mind, a Lexus is just an expensive Toyota; an Acura is just an expensive Honda.

A long time ago when the Acura Legend first came out, I test drove one and was not very impressed.

When I asked the salesman why people buy this car, his answer was "Prestige".

I really don't care what other people think about what I drive. So I'm not a Luxury car customer.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Considering whether to blow the budget by getting something I really can't afford but will put a smile on my face every time I get in it. Just wondering if others are like this about their cars.
No offense but why should anyone else care what you do? If you want to drive yourself (literally) into bankruptcy go ahead-it's a free country last time I checked.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,531 times
What I look for is horsepower to dollars ratio for my money, dollar per HP. Any money I would have to spend on a foreign luxury car I would rather spend on a domestic sports car and find the best ratio using factory and aftermarket parts. One day I will have a 1,000 HP vehicle by taking a factory sports car and modding it

Last edited by Mighty_Pelican; 09-30-2015 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 AM

780 posts, read 2,926,974 times
Personally, I'm not into luxury cars but I don't hate the concept either; besides, I have been known to say, "One day, some day, I'll be back in an (Lexus) LS".

Car enthusiasts come in many different shapes, sizes, and eccentricities; yours, in particular, is about refinement. Your senses are likely tuned to a certain set of qualities. I can completely relate to your experience driving a Corolla as mine is a bit more extreme. Many years ago, I test-drove a Scion xA and xB and that was a mistake, I had to take my '3 Z06 out for a spin when I got home to get rid of the depression and to cheer myself up.

Once in a long while, an acquaintance or a non-car friend would ask what car to buy and the appliance-type choices are so depressing (an Escape or an Equinox?) and they usually based the selections on ICE factor (This one has better Bluetooth and WiFi hotspot!). I literally feel weak in my body and lose the will to live.

At any rate, you are not alone in this "sickness"; yours is Type 1 and mine is Type 2 kind of thing. Just be careful with luxury cars nowadays as they have become supercomputers on wheels. The amount of very complex electronics make them prone to expensive repairs. If you can, lease one for the same or less amount of bumper-to-bumper warranty period and don't exceed the free maintenance period. Once the lease is up, give up the car.

Rock on.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:56 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
No offense but why should anyone else care what you do? If you want to drive yourself (literally) into bankruptcy go ahead-it's a free country last time I checked.
Because some people have to Bragg about what they drive I could give a rats butt about what others drive, but some have to do it to make them selfs feel good they like to rub it into people's faces like little rich spoiled kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive