Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 PM

21,907 posts, read 25,231,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
There is plenty of that already.

Why is everyone so defensive? Did I miss something?

While the article isn't great, its topic is relevant to an automotive forum.
Not really.

It's like going on a power tools forum and stating a thread on why people should never need power tools because they are unfair to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,300,054 times
Quote:
Yes. The five million previous "you can live without a car" posts. It just gets old after awhile.

Quote:
Not really. More relevant to "Frugal Living" or "Green Living."

An opposing post would be more relevant to this forum, something along the lines of "Didn't need a car in the city but now live in the rural Midwest and can't get by without one, need some advice."

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,702,105 times
Quote:
There is plenty of that already.

You are a rare person to say this. Most of the automotive fans can't see beyond their of their camshafts to consider the larger picture that is "Automotive".

'Tis a pity..........

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,075 times
I like how people will move to a densely populated area where they have to have everything trucked TO them and feel superior over people who live in a rural environment, produce a large % of their own food, and get a decent % of the rest locally....

Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,845,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not every one continues to believe in the almighty car.......

How I Survived Breaking Up with My Car
I like my cars. I'm not giving them up. 'nuff said.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,537,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I like how people will move to a densely populated area where they have to have everything trucked TO them and feel superior over people who live in a rural environment, produce a large % of their own food, and get a decent % of the rest locally....
Yes but if these people have this type of attitude, aren't you glad that they moved away from you?

Additionally how much subsistence farming is really happening in the US these days anyway?

I live in a city and I don't feel superior over anyone. I also grow my own food.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,537,715 times
Quote:
You are a rare person to say this. Most of the automotive fans can't see beyond their of their camshafts to consider the larger picture that is "Automotive".

'Tis a pity..........
There are a scant few places in the US where one can go without a car. The author lives in one. I do too, to some extent, though it is more convenient with one. But I've lived without a car in my city and it's do-able.

When someone reads the article and gets the impression that there is some conspriacy afoot to get most Americans out of cars, it's time to pull the tinfoil hat out of the closet and try it on for size.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM

45,526 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Yes but if these people have this type of attitude, aren't you glad that they moved away from you?

Additionally how much subsistence farming is really happening in the US these days anyway?

I live in a city and I don't feel superior over anyone. I also grow my own food.
You'd be surprised when you get to really rural states how many people still grow, raise or hunt for the bulk of their food. Even here in somewhat suburbanized Southern MD I know more than one family whose sole source of protein is hunted/fished-venison, waterfowl, small game, crabs and various fish. Even my oldest daughter who now lives in St. Mary's County grows a lot of her vegetables for canning. Many of her neighbors are Amish/Mennonite and you know they're growing their own food.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,702,105 times
Quote:
There are a scant few places in the US where one can go without a car. The author lives in one. I do too, to some extent, though it is more convenient with one. But I've lived without a car in my city and it's do-able.

When someone reads the article and gets the impression that there is some conspriacy afoot to get most Americans out of cars, it's time to pull the tinfoil hat out of the closet and try it on for size.
It very hard to educate a spoiled public about the need of alternative transportation when it comes to cars.

But not impossible...........

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,715,630 times
Quote:
It very hard to educate a spoiled public about the need of alternative transportation when it comes to cars.

But not impossible...........
Gramps- People who WANT TO live an "alternative lifestyle" without cars WILL DO SO, and those who ENJOY having cars do not care to read such articles. The VAST majority of this forum, as demonstrated in this thread, DOES NOT care to read about riding a bicycle to work. Now people on this forum have varied taste in vehicles from luxury Mercedes to pickup trucks to classic cars to new sports car and beyond but we all share an enjoyment and appreciation for vehicles. You keep posting articles that people DON'T want to read so why continue doing so? It's quite annoying to see 5 threads in a day about why we need to stop driving cars or buying new ones or how we all should ride bicycles like they do in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive