Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Here the dealers actually file for the plates and it depends on when the office personell goes to get them basically. If they are expiring I'd at be at the dealer. New vehicles require a statement of origin for new vehicle registration in Texas. By Texas law it must be registered by time the temps expire and new temps can not be legally issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,599 times
I bought anew car in Loyisiana on 3/3/16 the installment loan papers were signed by my cosigner on 3/31/16. I called every 2 weeks for my tags, it was always don't worry it hasn't come in yet. The temporary tag expires 6/26/16 a week before I called only to find out THE DEALERSHIP WAS STILL SITTING ON PAPERWORK AND THAT MY COSIGNER WAS NO LONGER TO COSIGNER. Question what can I do about dealership sitting on paperwork. Now they want me to come up with more money. Someone there did not do their job in a timely manner, now I have to suffer the repercussions. AND no one from dealership has been communication with me. The man actually hung up in my face today.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:05 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Over 120,000 views on a page with 21 replies. The curiosity...

Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
You didn't say what state you are in, but in CA it can take up to 2 months or more to get license plates... You can ride around with no plates, no temp tags, nothing.... I have even waited 4 months for license plates....

Old 10-08-2018, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,026 times
A friend purchased a truck from a dealership and came by to show us and it had regular plates. The plates were not transferred from the owner but provided by the dealer which is very odd. The friend was also able to take the truck home but had to go back in 3 weeks to make another deposit even after financing all said and done. This seems very sketchy to me. I have always seen a temporary plate when not providing our own transfer plates and a deposit close to a month after you take the truck Home?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I bought a new car, paid in full with cash, in October. Its now almost two months later and the dealer, after an email and a phone call, said the plates should be mailed "soon".

This is my first new car and first car that I've bought from a dealer. I know you don't get the title right away, but almost two months? And the plates? The temporary tags are going to expire this weekend. What am I supposed to do if I don't get the license plates? Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to be doing something? Even if I don't have the title in hand?

I checked the documention, and they have the correct address. I paid the documention fee... so I wouldn't have to deal with this. And this is a legit dealer as well. The only hang up is that it was purchased in a different state than where I live (I live on the border between the two states). While it may slow stuff down a bit, I know they get business from my state all the time (more or less because the BS "dealer fee" is regulated in that state).

This is especially annoying right before the holidays since I'll be out of town traveling in other states for the next week.
The plates should have been on the car before you drove it off the lot. They were on my 1st car, also bought at a dealership. The only thing I had to wait for was the permanent registration windshield sticker and my insurance cards from the insurance company.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Over 120,000 views on a page with 21 replies. The curiosity...
Just about every state does things slightly differently.

In my states one can get 20 day temporary plates at DMV with a bill of sale.
Some new/used car dealers can do this for buyer.

Some state the new car dealer can get permanent plates - regular registration.

On another note - in OHIO - got to get an OHIO title even if you purchased from out of state and live out of state.

Some states the plate stays with vehicle. Don't know how vanity plates work this way.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
In my state, the new car dealer is responsible for plating the car before you take delivery. There are no temp tags here so you legally need plates before driving off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive