Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times

Advertisements

As a rule only modify cars you dont need to drive on the public roads. gez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
By the way people, I the word I should have used was undecided. Whether to take the car to the dealer or not. I did some research and since I am running a custom reflash I will not need the one from the dealership. This reflash is a recall for an ECU glitch that will give out wrong readings when the car is being smogged and by the time my car needs to be smogged which will be in a few years from now, it will probably be a racetrack toy and will not be driven on the street.
I guess my initial concern was unfounded after all.
In that case, blow it off, many recalls are not beneficial to the end user, just a CYA operation by the OEM.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Well I brought the car to the dealer, I told the advisor (my new bff lol) about the mods I had installed and she said the tech will not datalog nor look into the ECU, all there is to it is to download a modified parameter for the engine coolant and thermostat. So she asked me to reflash it back to stock which I did right at the dealership, the tech took the car inside the shop. Brought it back in 15 minutes, I reflashed back with the custom tune and I was on my way home in no time. I didn't violate any warranty since my car is in opyimal running conditions and everyone was happy. How do you like them apples?

I wonder how much money to the tax payers (oy vey!) that cost, hmmmm.

Last edited by Mr.Cat; 12-29-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In that case, blow it off, many recalls are not beneficial to the end user, just a CYA operation by the OEM.
I hear ya! That was my first thought to ignore it.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
As a rule only modify cars you dont need to drive on the public roads. gez
Sure thing bob.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Is that what your intend to do when you blow up the transmission or engine because of your tuner, return it to stock and go to the dealer for warranty work?

And no one mentioned tax payers, it only effect everyone who buys a car as the price of a car includes the cost of a warranty.
IF you do as stated above your actions (fraud) drives up the cost of a vehicle for everyone.

The dealer wants your warranty work as they make money off of it.

The MFG wants them to void it for this kind of stuff, so they don't have to pay the dealer for erroneous warranty claims caused by the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Well I brought the car to the dealer, I told the advisor (my new bff lol) about the mods I had installed and she said the tech will not datalog nor look into the ECU, all there is to it is to download a modified parameter for the engine coolant and thermostat. So she asked me to reflash it back to stock which I did right at the dealership, the tech took the car inside the shop. Brought it back in 15 minutes, I reflashed back with the custom tune and I was on my way home in no time. I didn't violate any warranty since my car is in opyimal running conditions and everyone was happy. How do you like them apples?

I wonder how much money to the tax payers (oy vey!) that cost, hmmmm.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Is that what your intend to do when you blow up the transmission or engine because of your tuner, return it to stock and go to the dealer for warranty work?

And no one mentioned tax payers, it only effect everyone who buys a car as the price of a car includes the cost of a warranty.
IF you do as stated above your actions (fraud) drives up the cost of a vehicle for everyone.

The dealer wants your warranty work as they make money off of it.

The MFG wants them to void it for this kind of stuff, so they don't have to pay the dealer for erroneous warranty claims caused by the user.

Listen Einstein, I do not intent to blow anything in my car, why on earth would I do that? Just because of a custom flash tune? Jesus H Christ private Pyle!!

So if it's fraud in your books then let it be. Get over it. I got what I needed, I didn't violate ANY warranty. everyone is happy except you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive