Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times

Advertisements

Hubby has a friend in the automotive repair biz and, sure enough, said friend introduced him to a 1995 T-Bird, excellent condition, about 100K miles, owned by a little old lady (yeah, right) and being driven by friend's wife, who now wants a newer car.

All my instincts say to run screaming out of the room, yelling, "NO, NO" as we already went down this road once when we poured repair money into a 1994 POST (Piece-of-S*** Taurus) until we nearly rebuilt the damn thing.

I went online and, much to my chagrin, there were PAGES of rave reviews on this year Thunderbird sedan, with the only cons I could see being poor mileage, head-gasket issues, tranny problems, and cramped back seats.

Has hubby got his head on straight here? Or will the hussy T-bird break his heart and wallet? (The friend wants $1200.)

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Hubby has a friend in the automotive repair biz and, sure enough, said friend introduced him to a 1995 T-Bird, excellent condition, about 100K miles, owned by a little old lady (yeah, right) and being driven by friend's wife, who now wants a newer car.

All my instincts say to run screaming out of the room, yelling, "NO, NO" as we already went down this road once when we poured repair money into a 1994 POST (Piece-of-S*** Taurus) until we nearly rebuilt the damn thing.

I went online and, much to my chagrin, there were PAGES of rave reviews on this year Thunderbird sedan, with the only cons I could see being poor mileage, head-gasket issues, tranny problems, and cramped back seats.

Has hubby got his head on straight here? Or will the hussy T-bird break his heart and wallet? (The friend wants $1200.)

Help!
Those are a better car than the Taurus. I owned a 1993 Mercury Cougar, and my friend owned a 1992 Thunderbird. The problem is if the car has its original transmission with 100,000 miles, it is ready to go. That is definitely a weak point in those cars. Another thing is what engine it has. If it has the 4.6, I would say go for it. However, if it has the 3.8, run, don't walk away from it. The 3.8 is a junk engine with head gasket and overheating issues. It is also really underpowered, and does not get better gas mileage. The 4.6 did not have issues until 1996 when they put in the plastic intake manifold, so you will be ok.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:

Help!
I fell under the spell of a 1995 T-Bird a few years back. It only had 52K miles on it and "looked" great. From day #2, I had transmission problems that nobody could seem to figure out. Then came the head gasket problems. Sure, the back seat was a joke and the mileage was poor. I finally fell out of love with that heap of crap andtraded it and took quite a loss. RUN!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
agreed to other's posts. if it's the V8, it's a GREAT engine. if it's the V6, pass. tranny is a known weak link, but that's about it.

Mike

Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Those are a better car than the Taurus. I owned a 1993 Mercury Cougar, and my friend owned a 1992 Thunderbird. The problem is if the car has its original transmission with 100,000 miles, it is ready to go. That is definitely a weak point in those cars. Another thing is what engine it has. If it has the 4.6, I would say go for it. However, if it has the 3.8, run, don't walk away from it. The 3.8 is a junk engine with head gasket and overheating issues. It is also really underpowered, and does not get better gas mileage. The 4.6 did not have issues until 1996 when they put in the plastic intake manifold, so you will be ok.
Well put. The 3.8L is a junk heap (from a head gasket standpoint), while the 4.6L is much more solid and reliable.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,781 times
If the tranny is probably going to go out, spend the extra grand minimum and get something better to begin with

Old 12-06-2009, 11:59 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
For that price its well worth it.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
For that price its well worth it.
For the V8, I agree. But it is way too much if it is the 6 cylinder. Hopefully the OP will come back and tell us which engine it has.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
Quote:

Help!

If it's a Super Coupe then I would jump on it but you should run away. The back bumpers on them say Thunderbird SC and the engine says 3.8 Supercharged. They have great engines and suspensions but they're a pain to work on. I like working on cars but there were times when I wanted to drop my SC off a cliff.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
For the V8, I agree. But it is way too much if it is the 6 cylinder. Hopefully the OP will come back and tell us which engine it has.
It IS a 3.8L, ho ho, so I was able to shake hubby out of romanticized daydreams with the reality check kindly provided by all of you who took the time to educate me so I'd have a no-fail strategy to avoid purchasing another POST. (See definition above.)

Also, armed with your replies to my thread, hubby got friend to admit the tranny would probably bite the dust pretty soon and need to be replaced and that those pesky head-gasket problems DID show up regularly on the older T-birds he repairs.

So now hubby is converting his mid-life crisis to a yen for a Harley Hog, and we agreed that I would whole-heartedly sign on the dotted line for the coolest ride they make -- as soon as he pulls in that 100K a year he says is possible with his sales manager job. (Of course, I'll be grinding my teeth as I sign the papers, as I HATE MOTORCYCLES.)

Thanks to you all for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive