Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. Got some food for thought. Thanks again!
Don't come back unless you bring pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Show us pictures of the belair . I got a book and can tell you what it is worth

Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
When it arrives, I'll clean it up and take pics. It was appraised over 10 years ago for $25K. I don't want to sell the Bel-Air. I want to sell the minivan. The van is a 2005 Kia Sedona EX with 85K.

The motorhomes I have been looking at are 2005 Class C, under 45K for around $25K. We would use the motorhome quite a bit and I have a place on my property to park it.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Old fart that I are, I've put quite a few miles on those cars. My dad had a couple '55 Bel Airs when I was a teen. My first car was a '54, followed by a '56. My brother and my best friend both had '57s.... I could go on, but my point was going to be that, if driven regularly, they're pretty dependable cars. If parked, eh.... I had a '57 Buick convertible a few years back that was my hangar queen, only taken out for parades, car shows and a rare Sunday drive now and then. It had been completely restored, but the darned thing developed oil leaks, etc., and I had to have the transmission overhauled (a second time).

Unless this is a show car, I'd let your wife drive it for her little runs to the store. Maybe you can convince her to park it out in the corner of the parking lot when she goes shopping, etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Old fart that I are, I've put quite a few miles on those cars. My dad had a couple '55 Bel Airs when I was a teen. My first car was a '54, followed by a '56. My brother and my best friend both had '57s.... I could go on, but my point was going to be that, if driven regularly, they're pretty dependable cars. If parked, eh.... I had a '57 Buick convertible a few years back that was my hangar queen, only taken out for parades, car shows and a rare Sunday drive now and then. It had been completely restored, but the darned thing developed oil leaks, etc., and I had to have the transmission overhauled (a second time).

Unless this is a show car, I'd let your wife drive it for her little runs to the store. Maybe you can convince her to park it out in the corner of the parking lot when she goes shopping, etc.

It's a very nice car, but not a show car. The paint has a few chips in it. She would definitely park it out towards the back of the lot. To be honest, I think she might love that car more than I do. LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
!955 - 2012: The level of safety improvements between those periods is ENORMOUS!!!!!! I'm talking about literally thousands upon thousands of safety improvements.

Decades ago in my 30's (circa 1980-1989) I had what I thought was the bright idea of using classic cars as daily drivers. Why drive a depreciating asset as opposed to a vehicle which will hold, if not increase, in value for transportation? Seemed like a really smart idea.

Being a research nut, I went the whole nine yards in investigating the idea. Note: I was focusing on early/mid-60s vehicles (Buick Rivieras, Thunderbirds, Grand Prixs, Mustangs, Camaros, etc.). I researched all available injury/accident data, safety factors, maintenance, parts longevity, availability & cost/etc. - you name it - I looked at it.

Bottom Line - Its a very, very, very bad idea from a safety standpoint. There are a huge number of people who are alive and not crippled because of safety improvements in vehicles over the years.

Things like: sun visors made out of stamped metal lightly covered in fabric or plastic - in an accident its a great way to get the top of your head decapitated; a steering wheel column which will impale you on a frontal hit; no redundant brake systems (didn't come in until 1967/68 on the Mustangs) and forget about ABS, dashboards that become lethal in semi-side impacts; engines that end up in your lap; no crumple zones or airbags; the list goes on, and on and on.

Using a mid-fifties vehicle (or any of the classic period 60s vehicles) for regular driving is a serious roll of the dice. The majority of accidents happen within 25 miles or so of home.

Do you really want to risk yourself and family with primitive, more than half a century old automotive technology? I'd suggest you give it some serious thought. I did and ditched the idea back in the 80s. JMO

PS - I've owned and refurbed a number of classic era cars, I love them. BUT - driving them is for low traffic, country roads only and I'm always a bit nervous, especially if I have any passengers.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Since you don't need a minivan and a motor home, would it be possible to purchase a used vehicle for your wife's needs? You could look for another Honda Accord, or even something like a Volvo S60 (FWD, not AWD) -- basically something that has modern safety features, and one that is not going to drive you crazy when a shopping cart, or some inconsiderate driver/passenger from another vehicle lets go of a door into your car. I can understand wanting to get away from a Kia Sedona as a daily driver, but the Bel Air would be a throwback to another era; and, on Florida's roads, I don't know that I'd take chances unless equally armed in safety features.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
The market is soft now, a 55 bel air 2 door sedan in number 3 condition is about 14 k now tops. If it is a 2 door hard top top price about 23 but the cars have to be original with no alterations or the value will go lower. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive