Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,930,611 times

Advertisements

Anyone who thinks a S550 isn't a prestigious car is in denial.

No one living with their parents making $15/hour is driving a new S550. And even if they did somehow, it still doesn't take away the fact it's a prestigious car.

This car says I have money and power. Or I inherited a boatload of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,026,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

No it doesn't. It says S550.........Buffet drives a Caddy, they certainly don't scream I have money and power. But we all know, he does.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,573,199 times
Quote:
Its only called an S550 in the US to make you feel more "prestigious" about driving a taxi. Its called S500 in the rest of the world.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,283,389 times
Quote:

No one living with their parents making $15/hour is driving a new S550. And even if they did somehow, it still doesn't take away the fact it's a prestigious car.

That just looks like any ole sedan. Ill pass.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,930,611 times
Bunch of people in denial!

It's OK. None of us, other than ShelbyGirl, are driving $100k+ cars.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,573,199 times
Quote:
Bunch of people in denial!

It's OK. None of us, other than ShelbyGirl, are driving $100k+ cars.
Hey there's no shame in driving a taxi. You should be proud of it. Some taxis proved to be excellent cars over the years.

Others not so much.

But in the end they're all taxis

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,817,715 times
Quote:

looks like a Hyundai its butt ugily

Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,922,357 times
In the greater LA area, there's not really much "prestige" associated with the entry-level premium brand marques for the simple reason that everybody has one. As soon as someone signs on with a company after school, their first order of business around here is to hit the BMW, Audi, and MBZ dealers and buy a "high-end" car. They can't afford a 760il, A8 or S63, so they get a 328i, A4 (FWD) or C250 on a lease. If you pull up to a restaurant in one of these cars, no one thinks you're at all prestigious, just one of the crowd...

You do need to roll one of the higher-end halo sports, luxury sedan, or SUV models from this brand if you want them to impart any "prestige."

But even then, well, a lot of the guys driving these cars immediately prop them up on 22" Lexanis, have sleeves tattooed, own pit bulls they feed steroids, have their hair greased up into obscenely phallic pompadours and are always blabbering into their phones in a mixture of Farsi and English talking about multimillion dollar deals, or they're women who have gone under the knife eight times in the last year to look like Kim Kardashian... whether or not this is "prestigious" is a matter of perception

Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM

174 posts, read 598,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
BMW, Audi and Lexus no longer have prestige but Mercedes still has prestige. BMW has particularly fallen since every 20 something buys a 3 series or a used one and they are all over the place. Lexus is not prestigious at all. It's a Toyota and they don't even attempt to make them look different than their Toyota models. Look at the LX, GX and ES models, they look identical to their Toyota counterparts.

Mercedes is still prestigious. They are more expensive than BMW's and Lexus. There are less Benz dealerships in the country. And Mercedes doesn't cater to Generation Y/Mllenials or whatever you want to call them. 20 somethings don't want to drive Mercedes because they are seen as older person car because Mercedes doesn't try to appeal to the hip hop/d-bag crowd like BMW does.

But on some level, I agree with your theme. Range Rover, Porsche and Mercedes > Audi, BMW, and Jaguar > Infinity, Acura, and Lexus.
The comment here about BMWs is 100 % on the mark. BMWs have become so common place today that they are now as common as Chevy's and Ford's. They just don't have the same level of prestige as they did years ago, especially back in the mid to late 80s, when the whole yuppie thing was in vogue and all of the yuppies back then owned a BMW. Another interesting comment in this tread concerning Mercedes. I have spent some time inn Europe and it was interesting to see all the cabs, buses, trucks and even fire trucks that were made by Mercedes in use there. Mercedes is one of the largest truck, bus and fire engine manufacturers in the world. When you see this, you can't help but to wonder how prestigious is this brand really?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
In the greater LA area, there's not really much "prestige" associated with the entry-level premium brand marques for the simple reason that everybody has one. As soon as someone signs on with a company after school, their first order of business around here is to hit the BMW, Audi, and MBZ dealers and buy a "high-end" car. They can't afford a 760il, A8 or S63, so they get a 328i, A4 (FWD) or C250 on a lease. If you pull up to a restaurant in one of these cars, no one thinks you're at all prestigious, just one of the crowd...

You do need to roll one of the higher-end halo sports, luxury sedan, or SUV models from this brand if you want them to impart any "prestige."

But even then, well, a lot of the guys driving these cars immediately prop them up on 22" Lexanis, have sleeves tattooed, own pit bulls they feed steroids, have their hair greased up into obscenely phallic pompadours and are always blabbering into their phones in a mixture of Farsi and English talking about multimillion dollar deals, or they're women who have gone under the knife eight times in the last year to look like Kim Kardashian... whether or not this is "prestigious" is a matter of perception
Yeah. I remember pulling up to the Olympic Club Garage in San Francisco in my Mazda3... They were nice about it and all, it is classy as well as snooty and $40/day is $40/day. But everything else was Mercedes E, Lexus RX, Audi S5, Toyota Prius. In the FiDi, same thing. You won't see many 3/A4/C models there. Entry-level guys are taking Bart to work since it's $300/month to park. It's more of a bimodal split of nicer normal cars (newer Camrys, Accords, Chrysler 300, etc) and newer mid-range luxury (5-series, A6) with a good number of S-classes/7-series/LSes to round it out.

A 328i definitely doesn't scream making it in the Bay Area or LA. It's basically the Civic or affluent areas. 5-/E-class screams low level middle-management, 7-/S- one of the 50 VPs employed on the floor. It just means you've got a good job, not that you're a somebody with "prestige and power."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive