Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,092 times

Advertisements

I've been driving with two feet for over a decade on my automatic Honda. I feel that it has saved me from countless accidents because I have been able to hit the brake quicker than if I drove with one foot. I feel much safer with two feet. I've never pressed both at one time as other people have suggested and I don't think it has caused any more wear on the car as other people have told me it could ruin the transmission.

Does anyone else drive with two feet and do you think it causes the car to wear out any quicker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
I tried to do it and I almost got rear ended.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Already been covered. You'll find your answer here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...vers-here.html

Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
I use two feet.

One for the accelerator and brake, and the other for the clutch.

In an auto, the only time I'll ever use two feet is if there's a problem with the car and I'm trying to stop it stalling, or if I'm doing a burnout.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I've been driving with two feet for over a decade on my automatic Honda. I feel that it has saved me from countless accidents because I have been able to hit the brake quicker than if I drove with one foot. I feel much safer with two feet. I've never pressed both at one time as other people have suggested and I don't think it has caused any more wear on the car as other people have told me it could ruin the transmission.

Does anyone else drive with two feet and do you think it causes the car to wear out any quicker?
The only place two feet should be on the accelerator and brake at the same time is the race track. Period.

You are a danger to us all the day you freak out and slam both feet to the floor and mow down a crowd of people.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:11 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I use two feet.

In an auto, the only time I'll ever use two feet is if there's a problem with the car and I'm trying to stop it stalling, or if I'm doing a burnout.
same.

nothing wrong with left foot braking if you can do it right, but many end up riding the brake unknowingly. you can recognize them in a heartbeat because the brake lights are on but they're not slowing.

i've tried it a few times, and like Mr. Cat I lacked the dexterity to properly modulate the pedal. i'm sure with practice i would get it down, but i'm fine with conventional methods for now.

Mike

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

Only when I'm driving a stick shift.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Got to. My right foot doesn't reach the whole way over to the clutch pedal.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I use two feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Only when I'm driving a stick shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Got to. My right foot doesn't reach the whole way over to the clutch pedal.
Ditto.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
NO WAY!!! Only if I'm in a stick and need my left foot for the clutch.

It is just flat out not a good habit to get used to. As someone else pointed out about the ones with the brake lights on but they are not slowing down or the ones that plow into a crowd or into a building and THOUGHT they were stopping but they also had a foot on the gas pedal........... they tend to be elderly. If you get into this bad habit of using two feet as you age your reflexes take a beating. You are slower to respond and you will end up being one of the people that DOES have your foot on the brake and you are "riding the brake" and you will wear them out. Or we will read about you on the news as you had both feet firmly planted down on both pedals and went plowing into a crowd of people or into a storefront.

Stop this bad habit ASAP!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive