Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people have an exaggerated idea of how aggressively DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid attacks paint. If you have a leak, say from a master cylinder, and some painted steel stays wet with brake fluid for days to weeks before you find it - yeah, it will strip the paint. But if you spill a bit on a fender well and immediately wipe it off with a rag or paper towel - in my experience no damage.

For a while, and maybe they still do, Harleys came with DOT 5 fluid. Different people using different cars in different ways have various experiences with the stuff - but I don't see many people who track their cars or do autocross using DOT 5.

As BostonMike notes, DOT 5 is a favorite of people who have old restored cars or show cars, and don't drive them much, or hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Replacing brake fluid isn't essential, but it's a good idea, and your brake components will last a heck of a lot longer if you do. You don't even need a helper, just open one bleeder at a time and let each one gravity bleed until clean fluid comes out. Gravity bleeding works quite well actually. Unless your car has ABS.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Replacing brake fluid isn't essential, but it's a good idea, and your brake components will last a heck of a lot longer if you do.
Not essential, but a good idea? You can't have it both ways.

If you are keeping a car four years, then don't bother replacing brake fluid. If you are keeping it ten years or more, then replace every 3-4 years. Absorbed water in brake lines cause corrosion and rubber hose deterioration.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I have swapped flids on street cars kaybe after 3 years. Its not that the cwr doesn't stop the pedal feels better. Most sytems wih moisture you feel the edal go down a bit the. Start to cwtch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 AM

929 posts, read 2,724,186 times
Plan on keeping your vehicle long term, change all the fluids on some time or milage table.
Just makes sense. Most folks have not heard of brake fluid changing but didnt really know it probably has been done at every brake job. Most GOOD techs will bleed and adjust the brakes.
I think brands like BMW etc, do have these services listed in the manuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive