Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

21 posts, read 117,791 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new 2013 Ford Explorer. It is the base model with 17" wheels and tires that I drove 140 miles before removing them and replacing with 20" wheels and tires. My old 2002 Explorer is now for sale and the tires need replacing. It just so happens that the almost-new tires I pulled off the new car are the exact same size that are needed on the 2002 I'm selling.

I don't think I would go out and buy new tires to put on the 2002 I'm selling, because I'm not sure I'd get that money back when it sold. But in this case, I have like-new tires sitting here that I won't get new price for if I sell them separately. The local tire store quoted me a price of $500 installed for these same tires (Goodyear). They're as good as new, but I obviously am not going to get new price for them if I sell them. Furthermore, whoever buys them will have to pay to get them mounted and balanced. So I figure I'd do well to get $300-350 for them.

So, my question is this: Will the like-new tires increase the selling price of the 2002 Explorer by $300-$350? more? less? Again, the ones on it are about worn out. Otherwise, the truck is in better shape than most 2002s and has never had any major repairs and no paint work. Brakes and rotors are new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Why not pay a tire shop $20-$25 per tire to have them mounted? That's probably the only way to get any value out of them.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Tires are wear and tear items so, IMO, it shouldn't increase the selling price of the vehicle (which presumes it has good tires in the first place). Look at it this way, if you put in new brake pads, should it increase the price of the vehicle?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
It won't increase the selling price by much, but it should make it a lot easier to sell without having to knock $300-350 off at the last second when your buyer makes a legitimate point out of not wanting to buy a vehicle with worn out tires.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
^^^ Agree... people buying 11-year-old Explorers are likely to appreciate not having the additional expense of new tires right away.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 AM

223 posts, read 732,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It won't increase the selling price by much, but it should make it a lot easier to sell without having to knock $300-350 off at the last second when your buyer makes a legitimate point out of not wanting to buy a vehicle with worn out tires.
Exactly. Adding the tires might not increase the value much but no one wants to buy an 11 year old vehicle THEN have to put tires on it. Take advantage of the fact they fix, that's a blessing.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
...I'm probably not the norm in this regard, but I absolutely do NOT like new tires on a vehicle I'm buying. Why?

Used tires accurately tell me if the vehicle has a proper alignment, and the suspension is working as it should. If I see any cupped tread, abnormal wear, feathering, or corded tires, then most likely the vehicle can't be aligned properly. If it could, why would the previous owner ruin a set of tires by driving on them with a bad alignment? New tires can also mask an unbalanced or out of round wheel.

While I don't want to buy a car with bald tires, I definitely prefer tires with some wear to them so I can check the things listed above.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
It wouldn't increase the price in my mind. It would just make the price of the vehicle what proper book value is.

They way i see it, new components on a used car should not increase value because that's just proper routine maintainence needed to drive the car. If anything, a car needing new tires, brakes, etc should decrease the value of the car, but replacing these parts just brings the value back to "normal"

In other words, say the vehicle value is $5000 in good condition according to NADA or KBB or whatever. Now the tires are worn, that would lower the value to say $4500 or so. What about worn brakes, suspension etc?

Easiest way to sell a car is when it needs nothing at all.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-12-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Used tires accurately tell me if the vehicle has a proper alignment, and the suspension is working as it should. If I see any cupped tread, abnormal wear, feathering, or corded tires, then most likely the vehicle can't be aligned properly. If it could, why would the previous owner ruin a set of tires by driving on them with a bad alignment?
Umm, Hi! Welcome to 2013, I see you're new here.

You're kidding right? Most people are so dumb/ignorant about vehicles that I'm Honestly shocked when there's enough oil in the vehicle, or the tires are inflated to the right PSI (they split, half WAY too high and the other half way low). People don't care about their appliances, I mean you don't have to "do" anything to a toaster, right? And their car absolutely is just another appliance.

I flip lots of vehicles on CL (motorcycles though), and my method is to make the vehicle a "needs nothing" sell. I make sure that the new owner can get on the bike and go till the first oil change without having to worry about Anything else... then I ask the same price as what others are asking but point out that it needs nothing ~ it's the rare motorcycle that's around for more than 2 weeks, or that someone tries to negotiate price down.

Run your explorer by Wally-world and spend the ~$40 to have the tires mounted and balanced then list the car has having newer tires. Just be aware that you might run across someone like me, who judges a tire not only by the tread depth but by the DOT code (age) of the tire. If they're more than 5 years old, they're trash IMHO. Then spend a few hours and flush all fluids, use your grease gun, and generally run through the service items listed in your owners manual. It should reward you with a faster sale and slightly higher selling point (but mostly a faster sale).

Old 07-12-2013, 07:11 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Umm, Hi! Welcome to 2013, I see you're new here.

You're kidding right? Most people are so dumb/ignorant about vehicles that I'm Honestly shocked when there's enough oil in the vehicle, or the tires are inflated to the right PSI (they split, half WAY too high and the other half way low). People don't care about their appliances, I mean you don't have to "do" anything to a toaster, right? And their car absolutely is just another appliance.
No I'm not kidding. I don't buy appliance cars. I buy cars that need to have perfect alignment in case I ever decide to do the Texas Mile in them, not to mention I don't want to be buying new tires at $500 a pop because I can't get camber to spec, and I can't tell that on a vehicle with brand new tires on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive