Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:02 PM

20 posts, read 28,895 times

Advertisements

I drive a Chevy cobalt sedan, which is paid off. I never upgraded to anything else, even though I have like 15k saved up. My car has only 72k miles, good on gas, cheap insurance like $345 every 6 months, never had any problem with it. I got new tires for it last year, but unfortunately, the previous owner ddidn'ttake care of it much, the interior is terrible, all cracked, all plastic. It doesn't have automatic locks or windows. It is base. The paint is all faded, it looks horrible, and it keeps getting worse. It would cost me at least $1000 to get it painted, which is almost the cost of the car.

I went on a date with some girl, and when we were walking towards the parking lot, she said

Is that your car?

With a tone, basically saying, that car sucks, you should be driving something better, I couldn't help but feel embarrassment, on top of that, I had forgotten to wash the car

After the date, and everything, even though it went ok, deep down, I wanted to have a better-looking car, even though I know it would be a very bad decision to finance one/waste my savings.

I'm a good looking guy, so whenever I drive my car, I often get weird looks from people (must be due to the crappy paint) is almost as if they expect me to drive something much better due to my looks, like Ive seen 80 year old grandmas drive much better cars lmao

Old 05-28-2016, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 22,250 times
Find someone who doesn't care about your car and they'll be marriage material.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,362 times
Find someone else. Your car just did you a yuuge favor and saved you years of grief by showing you this girls true character. Treat your car to an oil change.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 PM

20 posts, read 28,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Find someone else. Your car just did you a yuuge favor and saved you years of grief by showing you this girls true character. Treat your car to an oil change.
but the paint looks horrible, is far beyond repair, the hood, the top, is all faded. I could always get a cheap paint job from maccoo, but it wouldn't last. Also, the interior is all cracked, no way to fix that

I have learned not to give a crap, and when I drive, I try not to think about these things, but every once in a while, you see someone your age or even younger, driving something much nicer, and it gets to you. So, I don't know, I guess I will continue saving and buy a 2012 2013 honda accord and be done with it

Old 05-28-2016, 07:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
Move to the city and ditch the car. Nobody will care what kind of car you drive or if you even have one at all. Huge headache disappears overnight.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandido View Post
but the paint looks horrible,
stop being a but monkey.....get out there and find a nice girl.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
Quote:
I drive a Chevy cobalt sedan, which is paid off. I never upgraded to anything else, even though I have like 15k saved up. My car has only 72k miles, good on gas, cheap insurance like $345 every 6 months, never had any problem with it. I got new tires for it last year, but unfortunately, the previous owner ddidn'ttake care of it much, the interior is terrible, all cracked, all plastic. It doesn't have automatic locks or windows. It is base. The paint is all faded, it looks horrible, and it keeps getting worse. It would cost me at least $1000 to get it painted, which is almost the cost of the car.

I went on a date with some girl, and when we were walking towards the parking lot, she said

Is that your car?

With a tone, basically saying, that car sucks, you should be driving something better, I couldn't help but feel embarrassment, on top of that, I had forgotten to wash the car

After the date, and everything, even though it went ok, deep down, I wanted to have a better-looking car, even though I know it would be a very bad decision to finance one/waste my savings.

I'm a good looking guy, so whenever I drive my car, I often get weird looks from people (must be due to the crappy paint) is almost as if they expect me to drive something much better due to my looks, like Ive seen 80 year old grandmas drive much better cars lmao
Hope you left her stupid ass stranded. I've done it in the past. Hell, I've even borrowed junky looking vehicles from friends just to see how the prospective girlfriend would react. If it was negative, I'd tell the lady to take a hike.

Don't become "that guy" who has to drive something flashy to impress superficial, materialistic [women]." Be proud of the fact you have a vehicle you don't owe money on. That's a position many people wish they were in.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-29-2016 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Vulgar term deleted.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
but the paint looks horrible, is far beyond repair, the hood, the top, is all faded. I could always get a cheap paint job from maccoo, but it wouldn't last. Also, the interior is all cracked, no way to fix that
dont bother with maaco, if you want a cheap paint job, then get yourself some sandpaper, ranging from 200 grit to 2000 grit, and lots of it, and start prepping the paint. while you are getting the sandpaper, get some duplicolor primer and paint in the color you like. when you are done sanding the old paint, hit it with the primer, light coats until the whole car is covered.(i assume you understand about masking off the windows and trim pieces BEFORE painting). then sand the primer you just laid down, and once smooth, start painting. again lay on thin coats until the whole car is covered. at this point you can either color sand the paint and then clear coat the car, or just remove the masking tape and paper, detail the windows and trim pieces that got over spray on them, and then take care of the paint. a friend of mine has several cars that he has painted with krylon that are still looking good after several years. you just need to take care of the paint you lay down, and also remember that preparation is 90% of any good paint job.

and the interior can also be redone. some companies make kits, or you can take the seats to a reupholstery shop and have them recover the seats.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
Dude , drive it till it dies. Cars only depreciate in value. You sound practical. Look for women who are that. Any girl you take on a date disses your ride isn't worth your time. Like another poster said, your car saved you a huge waste of time.
That might be the kind of girl who marries for money. You know the type. She's hot, he's not, but he's got a lot of $$.
Meh, I don't have time for silly "female dogs" like that lol.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Hope you left her stupid ass stranded. I've done it in the past. Hell, I've even borrowed junky looking vehicles from friends just to see how the prospective girlfriend would react. If it was negative, I'd tell the lady to take a hike.

Don't become "that guy" who has to drive something flashy to impress superficial, materialistic [women]." Be proud of the fact you have a vehicle you don't owe money on. That's a position many people wish they were in.

Sure you have... ( borrowing Junkers to see how a girl would react).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-29-2016 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive