Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

If there's a large, relatively slow-moving emergency vehicle such as a fire truck or an ambulance behind you a long ways (quarter mile or so) and it's not driving faster than you are, do you have to stop immediately? Or can you keep driving to your destination and then pull off the road entirely, since you're where you need to be?

Do you have to stop at the first sign of flashing lights or can you keep on going if it doesn't impede the emergency vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If there's a large, relatively slow-moving emergency vehicle such as a fire truck
or an ambulance behind you...
If you are aware of it's presence...
act responsibly and appropriately based on conditions

Quote:
Do you have to stop at the first sign of flashing lights
or can you keep on going if it doesn't impede the emergency vehicle?
Do you think you would need to?
(you're the only one here who can see that Ambo or FT in your mirror after all)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Why take the risk, Soviet?

Act responsibly by pulling over and yielding to the emergency vehicle . . . IMMEDIATELY.

The next Fire Truck or Ambulance may be responding to YOUR emergency.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If there's a large, relatively slow-moving emergency vehicle such as a fire truck or an ambulance behind you a long ways (quarter mile or so) and it's not driving faster than you are, do you have to stop immediately? Or can you keep driving to your destination and then pull off the road entirely, since you're where you need to be?

Do you have to stop at the first sign of flashing lights or can you keep on going if it doesn't impede the emergency vehicle?
I would just use common sense and start to move over once it is a couple hundred feet from you. I did what you are referring to once before where the the emergency vehicle was about 1/4 mile back on an interstate, I pulled over and felt ridiculous sitting there for 20-30 seconds until it FINALLY passed me.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
generally the law is that you cannot drive within 500ft of an emergency vehicle that is running lights and siren. 1/4 mile is not 500ft.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
In CT, the manual says that "When you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching", pull over and stop. What you may not know is that the driver of the EV may be "going slow" because he is waiting for you to pull over. As a retired volunteer amb driver, I can tell you the worst thing is drivers who are not reacting as expected. You don't know what they'll do next. If you don't pull to the right, I can't risk going around you as I have to assume you have not seen or heard me. And don't even speed up, that will get you reported quicker than anything else.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
You need to get out of its way. If you are a quarter mile ahead of it and holding, I'd say you are out of its way.

If you hit a red light or some other obstacle that will bring it upon you, then you should take the appropriate steps to get out of its way.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
If they're a 1/4 mile or so behind and not gaining on me, I probably won't pull over.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
In our state, AZ, you are required to pull over (when the emergency vehicle is displaying it's emergency lights and siren) when that emergency vehicle is within 500 feet of your vehicle. And you are to stay no closer than 300 feet following behind that emergency vehicle.
28-775 - Authorized emergency vehicles; approaching; following fire apparatus; passing stationary vehicles; defensive driving schools; driver license examinations

Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In CT, the manual says that "When you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching", pull over and stop. What you may not know is that the driver of the EV may be "going slow" because he is waiting for you to pull over. As a retired volunteer amb driver, I can tell you the worst thing is drivers who are not reacting as expected. You don't know what they'll do next. If you don't pull to the right, I can't risk going around you as I have to assume you have not seen or heard me. And don't even speed up, that will get you reported quicker than anything else.
Driver's manual doesn't have anything to do with the law. It's an interesting question. I usually wait until they're somewhat close but not to anywhere near the time where I would be impeding them to pull over. I've sped up one time for an ambulance on a two-lane mountain road with nothing but blind corners since there was nowhere to pull off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive