Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM

490 posts, read 649,844 times

Advertisements

Few things;

Mazda's are fine cars by the way. They are partially owned by Ford. I have no idea how they hold value though.

My advice. Know how much you can afford. Bring cash if possible. Go with somebody you trust and that has bought a few cars before. Be able to walk away from the table. Low ball them, and pay what you want to pay. Watch out for phony "options" and things like extended warranties. For example, you can buy GM Protection Plan service contracts on your own as long as the car has a factory warranty.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,552 times
Rmisssourimule and everyone on here. Thank you. You all helped and I took on so many of your tips. We used the best quote we got to get an even better deal....we called all 29 dealerships with the best deal and asked what they could offer. That netted us a grand less.
So we bit. Small town 40 miles away and it was the I telnet price. Made sure we confirmed out the door price and had it e mailed to us before we set foot in the place.
11,000 for a chevy sonic so 12 out the door as high sales tax in California.it is a good deal.no intention of selling in three years.
The used cars did not offer value in comparison
Simple little gas efficient car that we will put 5000 a year on. It should last a decade if we take care.
She is a little pony but that is what we needed and we work by what we need not what we fancy having.
All the staff were very sweet and friendly. No upselling. No bs. No stress. They gave us balloons for the kids, cold drinks, and filled the tank with gas. The whole experience was stress free and pleasant and thatis mainly down to all the sound advice we got from you helpful people.
We surprised our son with it and you should have seen his face. He just broke into the biggest smile and said ...it,s perfect daddy , to my husband. A perfect, red, modest pony of a car that offers a smooth ride and is cheap to feed and we hope to have it in our paddock for many years to come. Job done. We feel happy with our choice and a pony suits us fine.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Check prices in dealerships that are in smaller towns. They are more willing to negotiate, usually because they don't have the foot traffic. Check on TAX RATES before you pay the sales tax. If you live in a high tax rate town (Houston, Dallas, etc., 8%+) then see if the dealership will pay the sales tax for you in their town (if it is lower), you could save hundreds of dollars.

20yrsinBranson
That might help in other states, but in Texas the sales tax on vehicles is a flat 6.25% State tax. There is no local tax on vehicles so no matter where you buy in Texas, you pay the same tax rate on the net purchase (sales price less trade in value and less rebates).

Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Around 9% i think here in LA- brutal right!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
The Mazda 3 is a fine car. Its zippy and handles great. Not to mention it looks great compared to its competition. I previously owned a 2006 Mazda 3s. Everything was fine until the tranny gave out at almost 140k miles. Mind you it was a daily driver and I drove it pretty hard.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
That might help in other states, but in Texas the sales tax on vehicles is a flat 6.25% State tax. There is no local tax on vehicles so no matter where you buy in Texas, you pay the same tax rate on the net purchase (sales price less trade in value and less rebates).
Ah! I didn't know that thank you. Texas is so much more rational when it comes these kinds of things.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Find the same exact car at 2 or 3 dealers within 100 miles and see who gives you the best price. Pretty easy to do unless you are buying a BMW or Porsche that has hundreds of options. This is how I do it and I always sleep well after my purchases.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Rmisssourimule and everyone on here. Thank you. You all helped and I took on so many of your tips. We used the best quote we got to get an even better deal....we called all 29 dealerships with the best deal and asked what they could offer. That netted us a grand less.
So we bit. Small town 40 miles away and it was the I telnet price. Made sure we confirmed out the door price and had it e mailed to us before we set foot in the place.
11,000 for a chevy sonic so 12 out the door as high sales tax in California.it is a good deal.no intention of selling in three years.
The used cars did not offer value in comparison
Simple little gas efficient car that we will put 5000 a year on. It should last a decade if we take care.
She is a little pony but that is what we needed and we work by what we need not what we fancy having.
All the staff were very sweet and friendly. No upselling. No bs. No stress. They gave us balloons for the kids, cold drinks, and filled the tank with gas. The whole experience was stress free and pleasant and thatis mainly down to all the sound advice we got from you helpful people.
We surprised our son with it and you should have seen his face. He just broke into the biggest smile and said ...it,s perfect daddy , to my husband. A perfect, red, modest pony of a car that offers a smooth ride and is cheap to feed and we hope to have it in our paddock for many years to come. Job done. We feel happy with our choice and a pony suits us fine.
Happy to hear your car shopping netted you a good deal. Keep us apprised how it turns out as to your experience with it. It is not necessary to spend a fortune on a car if you know what to look or. Congrats! And you should be able to have it serviced at any Chevy dealership. I always recommend the dealer change the oil and filter and they will have a computer record of it should any problems arise.

Here is Edmund's review of the Sonic. Looks good to me. That's a very reliable source of information about various vehicles for future reference.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/sonic/

Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks rmisssourimule. Will follow that advice on doi g oil at dealership so warranty is not invalidated and it is recorded.
Yes we used Edmunds to research....helpful.
Thanks for changing my mind on new cars. I really was set in my assumption they were all a rip off so much so I had not even searched for cars at that low price. So Chevy owe you one! Not on our radar at all till you made a case for new cars. Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive