Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times

Advertisements

Best I've heard was the Bose system in a Nissan Altima SL. Very clear and realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Vmax alluded to it... automotive sound quality is mainly determined by the acoustics of the interior. I don't care how nice your speaker set is, they will never sound good if the acoustics don't allow it. To be honest, I think most of the the time various models just happen to have the correct dimensions and seat placement to provide awesome sound quality. Hit or miss IMO.
To be specific, I was referring to the electronics in some vehicles compensating for the acoustics of a vehicle and limitations of the drivers (speakers). That is what makes factory sound systems that are engineered for a specific vehicle better than others.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
The best factory system I have ever owned was a Dynaudio system in my Volvo C30. It sounded pretty good with little distortion. I doubt it is anywhere near the best system out there, but most factory sound systems I have experienced have been more or less junk. (Usually due to substandard speakers, even in the upgraded systems).

Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM

129 posts, read 516,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The best, "factory", audio system that I ever heard was the McIntosh system that I had in my '02 Outback VDC 3.0, and almost everyone who ever rode in that car was of the same opinion. While this audio system was standard equipment in that top-line Outback, it wasn't even available as an option on other Outback models, so very few were actually installed over the 2 years or so that it was available.

Strangely, even though McIntosh systems were again made available on Outbacks in Europe & Asia (beginning in 2010), they have not been made available again in The US--and this is a shame. The HK system in my 2011 Outback is very good (once you configure the Parametric Equalizer correctly), but it is a far cry from the McIntosh system in my '02 Outback.

I almost completely forgot about the Mc setup in Subies, even tried to find one of the HU's for my last work car and then amp it to the aftermarket CDT's, but the cost and availability of the DD unit is waaaay out there. Mc was bought by Clarion if I recall? Wonder why they are not using the only true and dedicated high end USA manuf in the US vehicles, price maybe? Was the Mc system just the HU or was is speakers and amps as well? Always wanted to hear one though.....

Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM

600 posts, read 660,115 times
Lincoln MKS THX premium sound system!

absolutely amazing sound...

Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
My Mazda6 had a Bose sound system, for a stock system, it was quite nice. Even if Bose are usually a bit over priced...

The one in my wife's Nissan is god awful... However, not worth it to upgrade the stereo at this point...

Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Vmax alluded to it... automotive sound quality is mainly determined by the acoustics of the interior. I don't care how nice your speaker set is, they will never sound good if the acoustics don't allow it. To be honest, I think most of the the time various models just happen to have the correct dimensions and seat placement to provide awesome sound quality. Hit or miss IMO.
Somewhat...

I have heard a good set transferred from one car to another, and it sounded nearly identical save for exact placement and the amp limitations compared to the new noise level (dash vs lower door, facing driver vs non-directional and so on become relatively minor).

If we are talking maximizing SPL levels on a fixed point which is mostly the trophy goal of the competition bump in the trunk crowd, we could spends days if not weeks over analyzing placement, electrical construction, power supply noise, correct gain and EQ tuning and materials for optimum leveling. However all cars are terrible environments for sound reproduction as there are several factors hindering optimal quality and perceived audio rise above noise floor, mostly when moving. I am going to have to call the interior acoustics point as moot for the terms of this discussion. Lets just draw the line in the sand and say that all cars are terrible environments for sound reproduction, they are, nothing can be done about it.

Take out the aged 5x7 F&R setup from a town car or similar and transfer it into an F-150 with the same factory headunit, the speakers will sound just as bad in its new home, the acoustics and placement are entirely different.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I must agree with Bummer. I have a 2006 GMC 2500 Diesel with a Bose system. Hey, I live in the woods in Maine. Pickups outnumber cars 3 to 1 here and many of the cars mentioned above would not survive here. Back in 1961 I had a very good radio in my Austin Healy 100-6. I have no idea who made that British radio. Lucas electrical systems were terrible, but the radio was fine.

I had a Hillman Husky for a while and British car afficianados love to hear about it. There were two settings on the generator, one for night and one for day driving. If you forgot and left the voltage regulator set for night and drove any distance in the daytime it would boil the battery over. If you forgot and left it on the day setting at night you would come out in the morning to find the 6 volt battery dead. No problem; Just crank it to start it. The crank was right beside the jack.

By this time my British friends are rolling in laughter. They know it's true. I tell them that electricity in Lucas systems does not necessarily flow through wires. Some of it flows near wires. If you doubt this, just lift the "bonnet" on an older British car at night and look at all the sparks flashing around under the hood. By this time they are in hysterics and begin telling their own stories about brush changes and positive ground systems.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
By this time they are in hysterics and begin telling their own stories about brush changes and positive ground systems.
Positive ground! AHHHHHH! Don't touch bumpers with that Corvette when jumping it....

That takes some REAL dedication to maintain, truly a car with built in character. Guessing that Austin radio was run by tube, ahem... valve if I am correct? Must have had a nice warm sound.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
Was the Mc system just the HU or was is speakers and amps as well? Always wanted to hear one though.....
It was all McIntosh--every component.
And, because Mc's audio engineers were so concerned with the quality of their sound system, they designed special sound-deadening materials for the inside of the doors, the firewall, and beneath the seats in this one model Outback. The bonus was that the car was much more quiet than other Outback models when the audio system was off, and when it was on...WOW!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive