Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times

Advertisements

AWD is pretty overrated IMO. I have lived in Wisconsin all my life and driven numerous vehicles in every condition imaginable. AWD is very nice for starting from a stop and getting up slick hills. I've never had any issues in winter with FWD vehicles though. For optimal winter driving it's all about traction and traction is all about the tire. AWD will put power down through all the wheels but that won't do jack sh*t if you don't have the traction. That being said there are plenty of conditions where having AWD will help but if you're just doing typical daily commuting you won't need AWD. Hell there are people here who drive RWD vehicles all year long without problems.

And if you live in an area where it never snows, there's really no reason at all to get AWD for typical daily driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
[quote=Engineer_Guy;32114533

And if you live in an area where it never snows, there's really no reason at all to get AWD for typical daily driving.[/QUOTE]

Unles of course you absolutely love everything else about the car and it fits your lifestyle perfectly, much like the OPs situation..

No reason to avoid one either. Esp one as trouble free as the typical Subaru.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Unles of course you absolutely love everything else about the car and it fits your lifestyle perfectly, much like the OPs situation..

No reason to avoid one either. Esp one as trouble free as the typical Subaru.

Turbo Subies are not very reliable at all. At least in the 2000's

Old 11-06-2013, 02:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
Turbo Subies are not very reliable at all. At least in the 2000's

Ummm. Yeah. The OP is referring to a brand new Outback. And I know a lil about Subarus regarding reliability owning them for 30 years now including the bugeye wrx that Ive had for close to 10 years now. Thanks though..

Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Ummm. Yeah. The OP is referring to a brand new Outback. And I know a lil about Subarus regarding reliability owning them for 30 years now including the bugeye wrx that Ive had for close to 10 years now. Thanks though..
Fantastic at 40k miles my 05 Legacy GT had a cracked intercooler at 70k miles the clutch went out, the rear diff mount cracked and the front passenger inner CV Boot cracked. It also drank 1 qt of oil every 1k miles. I eventually had to rebuild the engine. These are all fairly common issues. Turbo failures seem to be fairly common too. The guy that built my engine confirmed all of these issues and more were common. I followed his posts and another local subie shops posts on facebook and it was the same things over and over and over. There are issues with oil pickup tubes cracking. It seems somewhat rare, but its a tube. I don't see how you screw that design up. In decades I've never heard of an oil tube failure from any other manufacturer ever. Also older NA engines were notorious for head gasket problems.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
My boss' 08 Outback XT needed a new tranny at 48k miles. He also had the turbo that was leaking oil replaced under warranty.

That said, if they bring back the GT in the 6th gen Legacy (2015 model), I'll get it. But I'm going to lease it, so it's always under warranty.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,665 times
Seems to me like the Outback is a lot of bang for the buck at 24,000 MSRP. Compared to an Accord.

What is up for debate is whether the AWD is a positive or a negative.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Never owned an AWD car before. Done lots of research, and the "consensus" seems to be that unless you do a lot of driving in snow or mountains, there is no reason to buy an AWD b/c they cost more to maintain. Is this correct? So basically if I buy an AWD and live in Florida, I am wasting my money?

FYI, trying to decide between Honda Accord (cheap to maintain for 10-15 years) and Subaru Outback (not as cheap due to AWD)

Accord benefits
Cheap to buy
Extremely reliable
Cheap to maintain

Outback benefits
Reliable
Better ride
Better handling
Better interior
Better audio
More utilitarian

But if I don't need AWD, then I shouldn't even be looking at Outback. Correct?

Decide between Subaru and Honda CR-V.

I am in total LOVE with CR-V. Subaru will give you type of 4WD, as that is a 4WD vehicle, you are questioning. No need.
CR-V will give you go anywhere "normal" very reliable and exellent AWD system. And what if you decide to go skiing to Gutlinberg winter time? I have driven on thick ice in AL. That you in FL does not mean, fecis will not hit the fan there, or you will decide to take a trip.
As of maintenance costs. Well, you will have to do
front differential fluid change
transfer case fluid change
rear differential fluid change.
But all of those are done at 65 000 miles and if you use Amsoil synthetic, you good for next 100 000 or so. Hence, you'll be doing maintenance once in vehicle ownership time. No big deal - seriously - to DIY either.
I'd rather not recommend RAV4.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Subaru equivalent to the Accord is the Legacy. It is a fine if unexciting car. Has all the Subaru attributes in an AWD sedan package.
Begging your pardon but I drive a 1998 Subaru Legacy and I find it quite a lot of fun to drive.

In my driving past I have owned:
1988 Ford F 150 4x4 Good truck.
Great in snow, bad on ice.

1988 Ford T-bird with a 302 (rear wheel drive) and a full positraction rear end
As good in the snow as my 4x4, great on ice and wet roads. Not great on gas. Not so fun on
windy roads due to the high center of gravity. Great for pulling the horse trailer.

2001 Chrystler Intrepid (Front Wheel drive) 2.7 Lemon Catastrophic engine failure
Handled well, great in snow not so great on wet roads and ice.

1998 Hyundai Accent (front wheel drive)
Horrid in snow amazing on fuel

1998 Subaru Legacy GT AWD
Loads of fun to drive. Amazing in snow good on ice, really good on rain soaked roads.
Incredibly fun on curvy roads. Not bad although not spectacular on fuel. It goes when I want
to go and stops when I need to stop ,no matter what the weather.

All of my future cars will Be Subarus.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Oh god. Well, I guess it's another boring Accord for me. Sigh.
Well, there are a lot of cars out there besides Outbacks and Accords. By all means buy something you will enjoy - life's too short to drive a boring car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive