Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 02:08 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

How are the reliability of automatic, dual-clutch transmissions now? There are in more vehicles now - they started off in the luxury area, but are now in VWs, Kia's etc. They shift very quickly, so I can see why they are put in things with super small engines to make up for that. They don't feel like the typical "slushbox." Feels direct.

They take some getting used to depending on the model. Most of the time, you can feel the clutch disengage when you are almost to a stop. Sometimes when in reverse, you can hear a slight rattle as you would in a real manual with a clutch. Honestly, I'm surprised sometimes all these soccer moms are driving those Audi Q5s and Kia Sorentos with the dual-clutch transmission and the behavior.

It's a complicated device. How reliable are they these days assuming doing the routine fluid changes? Many of them have 30-40k transmission fluid changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 07:54 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I would steer clear of any dry clutch ones. Like in the Fords and Kias.
https://advancedtransmission.com/the...-transmission/

Wet clutch DCTs have been generally reliable but require more frequent and more expensive maintenance to keep up that reliability(which many won't do which will hurt the reliability image on the used market in particular).

And yeah they can be quirky for people expecting a more traditional automatic experience. Part of why it did so poorly on the Ford Focus when introduced. But also that they cheaped out and went with dry clutches which did lead to reliability issues.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:55 AM

1,285 posts, read 642,380 times
I've owned three VW diesels with the DSG. No problems or malfunctions with any of them but the average car owner might be put off by the 40k service requirement. I think VAG has these nailed down.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:40 PM

Yeah, it does seem the VW/Audi dual-clutch transmissions haven't had too many issues. But as mentioned, it requires a fluid change every 40k miles that costs around $400-450 each time.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:02 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Our 2018 Hyundai Kona turbo has a DCT. Maintenance is an inspection at 24 K, 48 K and 72 K miles. Under severe usage the fluid is due for replacement at 72 K miles. With the 10 year, 100 K warranty I'm not worried.

As a retired tech, I have driven thousands of cars in Europe and here in the US. The Kona DCT is my all-time favorite, followed by a VW GTI, which also had a DSG.

My old lady ( she is 79) can drive the Kona without any issues, no slipping or hesitation here.

Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Mercedes, Ford GT use dual clutch transmissions. I doubt they do it to save money.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:07 PM

Most all the cars out right now have wet clutches in their DCT transmissions. They shift so nicely, but are "clunky" in stop and go.

A family member is considering the Kia Seltos and they just got rid of their DCT for the 1.6L turbo and are now using a regular 8-speed automatic due to the complaints. I'm not sure if these were reliability complaints or user complaints of the clunkiness or both. .

The VW Taos uses a DCT. Seems like DCTs are used in high performance cars and also cheaper cars/SUVs to squeeze acceleration out of them. VW/Audi seems to have the most experience with the DCTs as long as you change the fluid every 40k miles.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:45 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Automatics and DCTs are NOT the same thing. Even though they both don't require a clutch pedal and are marketed as the same thing, the behavior is different. That was one of the problems Ford experienced with the PowerShift. The transmission was bad enough on its own, but the fact that it was marketed improperly did it no favors whatsoever.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
When my Focus ST was in the shop for warranty repairs, they would give me the automatic DCT as a loaner. As a driver that is used to a manual shift transmission, the DCT felt like a manual that is being shifted by someone who wants to play games with your head. The shift to 1st was generally delayed and erratic, which would make the car to suddenly barge fwd. Same with the rest of it.
I have driven the Golf with the DCT and the Audi and they were fine.
Hyundai has had some reliability issues with the DCT too.
IMO, if you want a sporty car, then buy the manual.
If you want an automatic, I will rather have a regular one or an eCVT. The next choice would be a regular CVT with the understanding that you have to change the ATF frequently. The DCT would be my last choice except for VW/Audi.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:37 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've only driven one DCT. 2020 GT500.

I loved it. I'm usually a manual purist, and i'll drive automatics, but that transmission was probably the first non-manual i've ever driven that would make me give up stick for good and not miss it. It was fun, responsive, FAST and not really a hinderance to drive in traffic once you got used to it's quirks.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:28 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
DCT is for performance and manuals are for driving pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive