Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times

Advertisements

What do you bet some bean counters in the auto insurance industry are calculating the cost of insuring a vehicle that might be more expensive to insure against body damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What do you bet some bean counters in the auto insurance industry are calculating the cost of insuring a vehicle that might be more expensive to insure against body damage.
Oh don't worry, Actuaries LIVE for that kind of stuff!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Ford haters get over it.

I know they drove the Chevy to the levy.

But in Winslow AZ she was driving a flat bed Ford.

For those who don't get it.

The Eagles - Take It Easy - YouTube

Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Match box sums it up pretty much for F-150 lately for me. Stand on outside shut door and watch the thin panels ripple motion.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM

109 posts, read 278,604 times
they drove the chevy to the levee...and it would'nt burn because it was out of gas & oil, so they walked home with there heads hung low.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
I am impressed with 700lbs of weight reduction. Almost all vehicles today could use a diet. And Ford took a bold step to trim the weight without downsizing the truck.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Thank you for the commercial.
lol ... it's marketing-speak.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,638 times
GM may have won TOTY this year, but I imagine there are some sweaty palms at the Renaissance Center right now. With the new Ram coming out in the next year or so, GM is already talking about "dusting off" the 4.5L diesel program that was shelved during the financial crisis. I don't think anyone was expecting the F-150 to shed 700 lbs, and it will catch GM a little flat-footed with the recently released Silverado and Sierra.

Greater use of aluminum in vehicles is inevitable with upcoming CAFE targets. Ford has already mentioned taking what they learned with the F-150 and incorporating more aluminum in future SUVs and cars. The new F-150 is a catalyst not just for the truck segment, but also for the entire industry.

While GM and Chrysler have some catching up to do with the Silverado, Sierra, and Ram, they have enough truck volume to justify eventual adoption of aluminum. The question is what will happen to the Tundra and especially the Titan. Ford sells enough F-150s that its $10,000/vehicle margins can take a short-term hit to subsidize the switch, but Toyota and Nissan will likely have to divert funds from other programs because their volume is too low to support the investment. I could see Nissan killing the Titan altogether, and I could see Toyota letting this generation Tundra ride out into the sunset and then putting future investment into the Tacoma. Lately, the Tacoma has had it easy in the mid-size segment with the death of the Ranger and Dakota and previously noncompetitive GM twins. The new Colorado and Canyon will assert new pressure, and the Tacoma is a name Toyota will want to protect.

As for the worries about cost, durability, or stamping issues, it's not like Ford is new to stamping aluminum. My '01 LS V8 has an aluminum hood, trunk, and front and rear quarter panels, and 130,000 miles later they have held up well. Ford has stated the aluminum panels on the F-150 will be more durable and ding resistant than current steel panels. Ford is going to do whatever it takes to ensure their sales king and cash cow's reputation remains intact; I don't see them taking this kind of risk only to cut corners in the process. Ford also has the volume to ensure they spread the costs around, which should keep the MSRP in line with the current model.

Great time to be a Ford shareholder and a truck buyer in general.

NAIAS 2015 F-150 Reveal | AutoMotoTV - YouTube

Atlas Concept vs. F-150 Production

Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
GM may have won TOTY this year, but I imagine there are some sweaty palms at the Renaissance Center right now. With the new Ram coming out in the next year or so, GM is already talking about "dusting off" the 4.5L diesel program that was shelved during the financial crisis. I don't think anyone was expecting the F-150 to shed 700 lbs, and it will catch GM a little flat-footed with the recently released Silverado and Sierra.

Greater use of aluminum in vehicles is inevitable with upcoming CAFE targets. Ford has already mentioned taking what they learned with the F-150 and incorporating more aluminum in future SUVs and cars. The new F-150 is a catalyst not just for the truck segment, but also for the entire industry.

While GM and Chrysler have some catching up to do with the Silverado, Sierra, and Ram, they have enough truck volume to justify eventual adoption of aluminum. The question is what will happen to the Tundra and especially the Titan. Ford sells enough F-150s that its $10,000/vehicle margins can take a short-term hit to subsidize the switch, but Toyota and Nissan will likely have to divert funds from other programs because their volume is too low to support the investment. I could see Nissan killing the Titan altogether, and I could see Toyota letting this generation Tundra ride out into the sunset and then putting future investment into the Tacoma. Lately, the Tacoma has had it easy in the mid-size segment with the death of the Ranger and Dakota and previously noncompetitive GM twins. The new Colorado and Canyon will assert new pressure, and the Tacoma is a name Toyota will want to protect.

As for the worries about cost, durability, or stamping issues, it's not like Ford is new to stamping aluminum. My '01 LS V8 has an aluminum hood, trunk, and front and rear quarter panels, and 130,000 miles later they have held up well. Ford has stated the aluminum panels on the F-150 will be more durable and ding resistant than current steel panels. Ford is going to do whatever it takes to ensure their sales king and cash cow's reputation remains intact; I don't see them taking this kind of risk only to cut corners in the process. Ford also has the volume to ensure they spread the costs around, which should keep the MSRP in line with the current model.

Great time to be a Ford shareholder and a truck buyer in general.

NAIAS 2015 F-150 Reveal | AutoMotoTV - YouTube

Atlas Concept vs. F-150

Great statement for a superb manufacturer and a trend setter.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times
Well I love this new truck.

One thing (not necessarily on here) a lot of people don't realize is that the frame itself is a high strength steel. Ford is not going to take any chances on its best selling vehicle (and one of the best selling vehicles in America) and make it a weak truck. Chevy and Dodge are making awesome trucks now as well and the new F150 will have to remain a strong truck. The aluminum is supposed to be a high strength aluminum

Like someone else already mentioned, there are already a lot of large luxury cars that are mostly aluminum now... I can't recall, but is it the big Audi A8 that is all aluminum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln