Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctavBotnar View Post
London's wealthiest streets -with houses hitting 20 million plus are full of Range Rovers
Since Day 1 Range Rovers have generally been very unreliable - how they managed to sustain sales to some of the nation's wealthiest and demanding citizens for 40 years is some achievement.
JLR sales are small beer compared to Germans
Conspicuous consumption can drive a lot of folk into all kinds of purchases ... like cars that are beautiful to look at, sumptuously appointed, but "very unreliable".

I seriously doubt that the London fleet of Range Rovers ever sees a demand upon their off-road capabilities. No more than all the Ferrari's and Lambo's and other exotics that routinely show up in the street behind Harrods get challenged for their capabilities on the streets in the area, let alone the highway road system of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 PM

42 posts, read 72,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Conspicuous consumption can drive a lot of folk into all kinds of purchases ... like cars that are beautiful to look at, sumptuously appointed, but "very unreliable".

I seriously doubt that the London fleet of Range Rovers ever sees a demand upon their off-road capabilities. No more than all the Ferrari's and Lambo's and other exotics that routinely show up in the street behind Harrods get challenged for their capabilities on the streets in the area, let alone the highway road system of the region.

They call it Conspicuous consumption - i tend to call it Natural consumption - rich person buys expensive car.
Although there are London millionaires who have a "Conservative Conspicuous consumption" -there's a hardcore element who buy a Lexus RX450h (yes it is a 50k car ) -i think these are the ones who have had Volvos and VW Golfs in the past.
London 4x4s are known as Chelsea Tractors and are popular with school run mums

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
If you like them then buy one. Life is too short to settle if you have the funds. If you are the type who trades in cars as soon as the warranty expires then it doesn't really matter.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
If you like them then buy one. Life is too short to settle if you have the funds. If you are the type who trades in cars as soon as the warranty expires then it doesn't really matter.
I couldn't agree more! I have a Land Rover 3. It went out of warranty at 75K miles. At 77K miles, the engine died. No "check engine" light, no "low oil" light, no warning of any kind, just a horrible noise--and failure to move. It will cost $11K to get a new engine, and the parts could take more than 2 months to obtain. Yes, yes, yes, if you have one of these monsters, trade it in BEFORE the warranty runs out. I must say, it was an absolute joy to drive up to that point, though!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
No, I'm not wrong. My post specifically referred to people who could afford and *would actually buy* a 100k+ car. Buyers in that price range don't care about depreciation because all cars in that price range have terribly steep depreciation curves.

Many of us (including myself) could theoretically shell out 100k on a car, but wouldn't do it because we have better things to do with our assets.
I am a buyer in that price range. So are many of my neighbors and friends. Of course we care.
Wtf?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You must have some interesting friends. So how many of these friends own Jags? Just curious because not only do I not have any friends who own one, I rarely see many on the road in a major metropolitan area of several million inhabitants.
Come to Dallas.

There are TONS of jags. TONS. Dallas is also a car town, so you will see all kinds of high end stuff all over the place.

My business partners also have nice cars and my partner's husband just got rid of his Jag and got an Audi A8 instead bc he was tired of all the nonsense.

So I don't know about interesting, but just because you don't know someone or something doesn't mean it doesn't happen or exist.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 AM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
This may be of interest: Most Improved Brands in the J.D. Power 2014 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

The JD Power studies are based on 3 year old cars, so the latest ones look at 2011 models. Considering a sizeable proportion of Jaguars on sale now are new models (XF launched in 2012, F-Type this year), and the factory was extensively re-tooled, things are likely to get better.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
No, I'm not wrong. My post specifically referred to people who could afford and *would actually buy* a 100k+ car. Buyers in that price range don't care about depreciation because all cars in that price range have terribly steep depreciation curves.
Some do, but not all. Have a look at Porsche 911 GT3 prices for a new model and a 2011 one. If I was in the market (and yes, I could afford it), that would be a major factor for me over the F-Type which my heart would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive