Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 PM

316 posts, read 723,511 times

Advertisements

I'm a longtime Volvo driver wondering about the most recent generations of Volvo cars. For many years, I drove 240s - I had three of them and had very good experiences. Unfortunately, the last one was smashed while parked on the street, and the repairs were too costly given the value of the car. I ended up buying a '99 V70. It certainly has a more luxurious feel, but I don't have the same love for the car that I did for my 240s. What are others' experiences with the more recent Volvos? I know that Ford had ownership and influence for a time, but I believe that ended back in 2010. Have things changed since then? I'm particularly interested in the quality, reliability and feel of the wagon models. The most recent V70s look sharp. How do they compare to early V70s? And to the 240? Any thoughts on this matter or fond memories of old 240s are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I'm a longtime Volvo driver wondering about the most recent generations of Volvo cars. For many years, I drove 240s - I had three of them and had very good experiences. Unfortunately, the last one was smashed while parked on the street, and the repairs were too costly given the value of the car. I ended up buying a '99 V70. It certainly has a more luxurious feel, but I don't have the same love for the car that I did for my 240s. What are others' experiences with the more recent Volvos? I know that Ford had ownership and influence for a time, but I believe that ended back in 2010. Have things changed since then? I'm particularly interested in the quality, reliability and feel of the wagon models. The most recent V70s look sharp. How do they compare to early V70s? And to the 240? Any thoughts on this matter or fond memories of old 240s are welcome.
Odd that you bought a '99 V70. I just worked on one this weekend. And I too have an old 240 that I rebuilt.

That V70 is nice. But it's not a RWD. And it doesn't have that old "4-cylinder tractor engine" in it. It's a really nice car, but it's just not the same. The newer Volvos are a lot like a lot of other newer cars. Really nice, but kind of nondescript.

There's just something about driving that weird old 240...

Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 PM

I agree completely. The '99 V70 was clean and in my price range; I'm a teacher and can't buy new. There definitely is something about the old 240s. Maybe someday I'll buy a real old beater specimen and fix it up over time...

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I agree completely. The '99 V70 was clean and in my price range; I'm a teacher and can't buy new. There definitely is something about the old 240s. Maybe someday I'll buy a real old beater specimen and fix it up over time...
If it was a base (non-turbo) '99 V70, with 125k-150k (typical mileage), I assume it was in that $2500-$3500 range? That particular vehicle was kind of in a "sweet spot" in a troubled stretch for Volvos. Good solid car, and repairs are far more simple and inexpensive than you'd imagine.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM

You'd be right on the trim, mileage and cost - it was at the upper end, but it had been gone over by a Volvo mechanic who sells cars after fixing them up a bit. I've bought my last few cars from him and had good luck. I hope to keep this one running for a while. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You'd be right on the trim, mileage and cost - it was at the upper end, but it had been gone over by a Volvo mechanic who sells cars after fixing them up a bit. I've bought my last few cars from him and had good luck. I hope to keep this one running for a while. Fingers crossed!
If he went over it with a fine-toothed comb (assuming he did) you should be happy. 27-29 mpg on the highway (unless you're a lead-foot), pretty decent ride, looks good, and some nice amenities.

I hope you enjoy the car for a LOT of inexpensive miles!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM

Thank you - that makes two of us!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The "Flying Bricks" were wonderful cars. Get one and repair the body work and just have fun. The most spectacular one I ever drove had an aluminum block Chevy 350 V-8 with an auto tranny. It was a real Q-ship.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Biggest issue with the '99's is the ETM, which is a $500 DIY rebuild for an aftermarket piece. Above that they are good just like the 850 series. I actually have an 850 and acquired a '99 V70 for a song, but sold the '99, and I agree the newer ones are much more comfortable. It had a nice "plush" ride to it.

To be honest, it will be hard to let go of my old 850 when the time comes because getting a new car means being unable to work on it going into the future. The older Vovlos are very DIY friendly.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The "Flying Bricks" were wonderful cars. Get one and repair the body work and just have fun. The most spectacular one I ever drove had an aluminum block Chevy 350 V-8 with an auto tranny. It was a real Q-ship.
TurboBricks. Butt-ugly to the point they're actually pretty awesome looking.

I don't think I'd every throw a SBC in an old Volvo. I like the sound & feel of "the tractor engine" too much. On the other hand, a buddy of mine (Turbo Tim) threw a 7.4 out of a Suburban in an 87 240 sedan. Installed 2 turbos - the secondary turbo coming off a Terex. Had so much crap under the hood that he had to put the radiator in the trunk. Single guy, mechanical genius, just screwing around one winter "because he could." Needless to say, neither cost-effectiveness, nor safety, were high concerns...

Last edited by GarageLogic; 01-21-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo