Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
------"here in Texas".....

I can guarantee you that is not the case where they get real winters.

A friend of mine was a salesman at a new car dealer in MN.

He said anyone trying to trade in a late model 2whd in winter gets warned that the trade in allowancee will be so low they might feel insulted.

He told me that summer toys ( boats, motorcycles, 2wd trucks ) are hard to sell in winter.

I laughed the way he phrased it.
He was right !
I can guarantee you that MOST of the work trucks you see on job sites around this area are 2 wheel drive, and we DO see a "real" winter. The only 4 wheel drive work trucks I can think of seeing are also ones the guys plow snow with...not counting the 4 wheel drive van one of the Sparkys bought. That thing is cool, but a 1st rate PITA to put a ladder on the roof rack because it is so tall.

Sounds like your car dealer friend was a tool actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Believe what you want, maybe you're just a ****ty driver.
Adding 300 lbs to the bed during snow and ice events makes a lot more sense than packing that same 300 lbs year round in gears that will need perpetual service. A lot also depends on the tires. I have motored right past 4wd pickups in the ditch because they had stupid fat tires, when everyone knows the best traction in snow and ice comes from narrow tires. 4wd also helps drivers be really stupid in slick conditions. They don't seem to have a clue that they can't stop or turn any better than 2wd.

One place that 4wd is really handy is hauling a 6000 lb. cabin cruiser on a trailer up a steep boat ramp, but that has nothing to do with winter.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Thanks for the tip about where to buy a used 2wd pickup, but most of those places salt the roads and have sales tax, right?

As for the Camry comment, I work security at a local gun show. About 3 years ago this guy decided to stock up on ammo, and bought a whole pallet. We managed to get it out of the show on an electric pallet jack, but then he loaded it all into a Camry, about 2000 lbs worth. He packed the trunk and was filling the back seat when the rear axles let go. Then he was stuck in the parking lot, because the (rear wheel drive) tow truck wouldn't even attempt to load the car onto the flat bed until he emptied it out.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Search engine results pertaining to the history of 4-wheel drive are contradictory. At any rate, with specific reference to pickup trucks, I wonder how these vehicles could have been useful with only rear wheel drive. Even on dry surfaces, the traction is not always the best. I guess no one here is old enough to have owned a pickup that had only rear wheel drive.
On what planet have you been than only has 4WD?Most truck sold are rear 2WD,always has been true.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I just built this (don't know if it'll work).
2014 Ford F-150: Build and Price | Ford[|Ford|F-150|2014|1|1.|101A.X1C.....SS6.64F.99F.RWD.X27.86D .535.SCAB.RETAIL.446.XLL.]

They have electronic locking axles, but I saw no traction control? Maybe, because I'm build a low end truck.

As you know I just bought that low end truck (XL), ETC is standard.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,771 times
I owned a 2wd truck once, never again. Sandbags or whatever, it's pointless to own a 2wd truck, I learned that after owning one.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I owned a 2wd truck once, never again. Sandbags or whatever, it's pointless to own a 2wd truck, I learned that after owning one.
It all depends on what you want & need to do with it.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,891,948 times
Won't find any 2WD trucks in Colorado, unless they are Texas transplants. They have no resale value and are worthless in the snow when going up the steep grades we have here.

Not to mention a 2WD truck has a weak stance with how much lower it sits to the ground.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Believe what you want, maybe you're just a ****ty driver.
Nope. It depends upon the terrain and amount of snow you get. Jamestown, NY is located in the hills of NY's Southern Tier and usually gets between 100 and 150 inches of snow annually. Towns about 20 miles west regularly get 200+ inches. How much snow does the Chesapeake Bay region usually get?

I drove a 2-wd compact pickup (Mazda B2200) for years when I lived in suburban Albany without hassles, but Albany is not nearly as hilly or as snowy as Jamestown, NY where I currently live. When I moved here, driving the Mazda in the winter was an adventure despite excellent snow tires and about 200 pounds of "tube sand" over the rear wheels (tube sand is simply a narrow plastic bag about 3 or 4 feet long that's filled with sand and sold specifically to fit 2 wd pickups -- it's not as prone to shifting and sliding like cement blocks), so I sold it to my brother who lives north of Buffalo where it's much flatter and much less snowy.

I now drive AWD Subarus, so I worry more about ice and visibility than about getting stuck in deep snow.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Nope. It depends upon the terrain and amount of snow you get. Jamestown, NY is located in the hills of NY's Southern Tier and usually gets between 100 and 150 inches of snow annually. Towns about 20 miles west regularly get 200+ inches. How much snow does the Chesapeake Bay region usually get?

I drove a 2-wd compact pickup (Mazda B2200) for years when I lived in suburban Albany without hassles, but Albany is not nearly as hilly or as snowy as Jamestown, NY where I currently live. When I moved here, driving the Mazda in the winter was an adventure despite excellent snow tires and about 200 pounds of "tube sand" over the rear wheels (tube sand is simply a narrow plastic bag about 3 or 4 feet long that's filled with sand and sold specifically to fit 2 wd pickups -- it's not as prone to shifting and sliding like cement blocks), so I sold it to my brother who lives north of Buffalo where it's much flatter and much less snowy.

I now drive AWD Subarus, so I worry more about ice and visibility than about getting stuck in deep snow.
Not that much, but you missed the part about growing up in WPA before they actually plowed the roads like they do today, I still am up there often in the winter, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with snow covered roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive