Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 AM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

My thread on uncomfortable car seats got me thinking, is it possible to custom order a car seat to fit your body type? It seems some seat bottoms are long for tall people with long legs leaving short people feeling like a child in an adult seat. I have problems with some car seats due to a broken tail bone and my wife has spinal problems so an opening in the cushion where the spine would rest would benefit my wife and I. My wife also needs good lumbar support. Besides cost, another downside I can see to such a proposition is resale. One would need to reinstall the factory original seat when trading in or selling the vehicle and when buying another vehicle, you'd need to go through this all over again. Perhaps one could bolt the custom seat to the mounting brackets in the next vehicle. Right now I sit on a cushion with the tailbone opening to give me relief. It's annoying because every time I get in the car, I have to raise up off the seat to adjust the position of the cushion back to center. When my wife drives my car, I have a similar cushion that is thicker to give her more height to see over the dashboard since my seat has no height adjustment. It's sad that I'm comfortable in my vehicle's back seat, but not in the driver's seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Every upper tier race car has a customized seat. A buddy with back problems looked into it several years ago but it became cost prohibitive because he has several cars.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Yes, you can have new custom seats installed, as long as you are willing to give up the protection of the side airbags which are contained in the seatbacks of your original factory seats.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, you can have new custom seats installed, as long as you are willing to give up the protection of the side airbags which are contained in the seatbacks of your original factory seats.

Side airbags aren't always located in the seats. On one car of mine, they are in the doors, and in another they are in the B pillar.

To the OP, yes you can have a seat custom made. Corbeau and Recaro both offer this, but it is very expensive, around $12k. (They have some seats that are $2-4k that are universal.) Sparco may also build a seat for you, they have a pretty good lineup as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive