Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

So, as of recent times my door would not close properly. Hence, I took the car over to our service center and reported the issue. They said that our Chassis frame was bent which prevented our door from closing properly. A temporary fix has been made by tapering, but we were advised to take it to a body shop soon. I have 2 questions:
  1. How long will this temporary fix last
  2. What will the body shop do to fix this issue permanently

I believe the ice damage occurred when I was driving through one of the many snowstorms that hit us this year. My car is a 2013 Mazda Skyactiv, and has low clearance which could be a potential reason for this damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So, as of recent times my door would not close properly. Hence, I took the car over to our service center and reported the issue. They said that our Chassis frame was bent which prevented our door from closing properly. A temporary fix has been made by tapering, but we were advised to take it to a body shop soon. I have 2 questions:
  1. How long will this temporary fix last
  2. What will the body shop do to fix this issue permanently
I believe the ice damage occurred when I was driving through one of the many snowstorms that hit us this year. My car is a 2013 Mazda Skyactiv, and has low clearance which could be a potential reason for this damage.
it was probably that curb you ran over

Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it was probably that curb you ran over
Not really a curb, it was due to a uncleared tightly packed snow mound at the parking lot entrance which was an issue. But I think the impacts should be similar in both cases. I live in New Jersey BTW, if that provides any useful information.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Simply put, hitting ice is like hitting concrete, and you tweaked the chassis. The only real solution is to put it on a frame machine and reverse the damage by pulling it back straight. It's a fairly straightforward process at any competent body shop, where they will take measurments and compare them to factory measurments, and make the appropriate pulls on the chassis to straighten it back out.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Not really a curb, it was due to a uncleared tightly packed snow mound at the parking lot entrance which was an issue. But I think the impacts should be similar in both cases. I live in New Jersey BTW, if that provides any useful information.
if you knew exactly where you did the damage you could try driving over the same spot again but in reverse.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
if you knew exactly where you did the damage you could try driving over the same spot again but in reverse.

Sarcasm's hard to pick up on the web.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
This is really surprising to hear that a lump of ice can screw up your frame so badly that the door doesn't close? What is Mazda using on their car frames aluminum? recycled plastic? Back in the day if a cars frame was bent the car was usually totalled by the insurance company.
The body shop will put the car on a frame machine and straighten it out.
How fast were you going when this happened? I'd be nervous driving in that tincan.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Sarcasm's hard to pick up on the web.
I had a friend who tried that once, he drove his truck through a ditch in from of the high school and it bent the frame which caused his truck to dog-track. So he drove it through in the opposit direction in an effort to "fix" it. It did correct the dog tracking somewhat, but only because the other side of the frame was bent at about the same angle as the first side that he bent.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This is really surprising to hear that a lump of ice can screw up your frame so badly that the door doesn't close? What is Mazda using on their car frames aluminum? recycled plastic? Back in the day if a cars frame was bent the car was usually totalled by the insurance company.
The body shop will put the car on a frame machine and straighten it out.
How fast were you going when this happened? I'd be nervous driving in that tincan.
I was turning into the parking lot. So perhaps around 10-15 MPH at most.

I have to say, my aunts first car after coming here was a 1987 Chevy. It ran like a charm till 2001. It was a slow car, but never had any issues due to snow or bad roads. Finally ended up in a dump after being rear ended and totaled by an SUV. American cars are much sturdier than other brands, especially dodge, jeep, and Chevy.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-18-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
I was turning into the parking lot. So perhaps around 10-15 MPH at most.

I have to say, my aunts first car after coming here was a 1987 Chevy. It ran like a charm till 2001. It was a slow car, but never had any issues due to snow or bad roads. Finally ended up in a dump after being rear ended and totaled by an SUV. American cars are much sturdier than other brands, especially dodge, jeep, and Chevy.
Or maybe you didnt run over high curbs in the Chevy. Its a poor craftsman that blames his tools. Try not running over so much sh*! and Ill bet even the Mazda treats you great. The quoted is pure BS. Pretty funny that someone who is so clueless to autos that they cant even name the model of their own vehicle properly thinks they can make such a claim about how they are built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive