Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times

Advertisements

One day about twenty years ago, I was driving across the desert Southwest, about 15 miles away from my destination, I picked up a hitchhiker who had a large backpack and a large hunting knife strapped to his belt. I gave him a ride into town. We talked the whole way. Very interesting man: he was walking from coast-to-coast, sleeping out every night in his tent. Very smelly guy (of course) but a real nice guy who had quit his job and his obligations in order to do this journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 AM

658 posts, read 847,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Maybe I am not a nice and caring person, but I would not pick up a hitchhiker. Just seems way too many people looking to take advantage of good will these days. It is more of a risk than I am willing to take.

It's not that you're not a nice and caring person, it's that you're not unwise.

In my city a few years back, a lady felt compassion for a mother and her infant child to the point of giving them a ride. The slimeball of a mom shot the lady. Thankfully she survived.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Note many times the person picking up the hitchhiker is interested in sex... But note the person hitchhiking only wants a ride - wants to get where he is going! But not uncommon for the person picking up the hitchhiker to "hint around", or proposition the hitchhiker. And the hitchhiker can politely say no, then that is that.

I gave you a ride, how about you give me one.

Got that line once.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:41 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Yes and no. I've picked up people who were clearly stranded or in distress. They weren't standing on the road with their thumbs out though. I also wasn't afraid of them being serial killers.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
Here's some unwritten hitchhiking etiquette. My accumulated experience. As the list got longer I picked up fewer and fewer. Feel free to add.

- Say hello, state your destination, and say 'thank you' before the ride
- Be polite; smile sometimes
- Basic grooming
- No incessant talking
- No incessant texting (I feel being targeted)
- No quiet grumpiness
- Don't smell of sweat, cigarettes, or marijuana
- Don't have animals
- Don't have oversized luggage or objects
- Don't be more than two adults
- If two adults, don't be two males
- Don't carry drugs or contraband
- Don't be armed
- Don't bring small children/babies
- Don't expect me to make pit stops for your bowel movements
- Don't eat, smoke or drink in my car without permission
- Stay off controversial topics or agree with driver
- No conspiracy theories. Ever. Or agree with driver
- Offer to pay a few bucks for gas
- Don't steal anything from my car
- Don't leave anything in my car. Especially contraband and fleas
- Don't be half naked
- Have most teeth. In its original color
- Wear something on your feet
- Don't answer my cell phone. Don't ask to use it either
- Only play an instrument if you know how to
- No whistling, humming or singing along to the radio
- Don't be over 200 lbs
- Don't wear your reeking dreadlocks open
- If you ride in my truck bed, don't urinate there.
- Don't roll out your personal misery
- Don't use drugs in my car
- Don't try to sell me drugs or meds
- Do not ask for money, drugs, or meds
- Don't offer sex for drugs, meds, or money
- Say 'thank you' & good bye after the ride

Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
Yes, driving back from Canada two years ago I picked up an older couple in Waco, TX who were also heading to Austin. They seemed exhausted and hungry, so we went out for tacos before I dropped them off at their home.

I cashed in my hitchhiker karma a couple of weeks ago when I ran out of money stranded in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Found a ride who took me all the way to the German border, and everything was OK from there since I had a semester pass for the train. He shared his sandwich without me asking, for which I was grateful. I hadn't eaten in a day or so. We had good conversation the whole hour -- would call up to hang out again if we lived in the same city.

Last edited by lndigo; 04-22-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I can understand why they say no, actually. Since they weren't looking for a ride, and we're all told as young kids to be careful about drivers who try to lure us to their car, it ends up looking shady for you to offer.

I haven't personally picked up hitch hikers. I've wanted to a couple times, but decided it was probably a bad idea. I think if I traveled with other people more often, I'd do it - but as I'm a woman, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it being me alone with a stranger (usually male).

EDIT: I was once picked up by a bus. I put my thumb out mostly as a joke, and the bus stopped and didn't charge me anything.
Could be. But I know that when im walking down the street in 95+ degree weather and ive got sweat pouring off of me and someone pulls over to offer me a lift youd better believe im going to accept it.

Oh and i never offer rides to women. You all are too dang paranoid about males (no offense).

Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Decades ago I was going to work at an out of town place at 3 AM.

Came upon a male in some kind of uniform with a duffle bag hitch hiking along the road.

Being a former VET stopped and gave him a ride.

I'm a bit stupid in not recognizing the uniform and asked if he was a Merchant Marine person.

His answer was "Midshipman at the Navel Academy".

I was embarrassed and never made that mistake again.

At times wondered if he was the future Admiral I would read about in the news.....never know.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:41 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Yes, but I didn't drop them off.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Yes, not really. And definitely yes if a hot female

Of course, I've mostly picked up hitch hikers in Northern California, the Mendocino/Lost Coast area. It's a little different there. People who are more normal hitch hike. Couple times around Santa Cruz as well, but that was people I met and interacted with a little bit. Had I just been driving by I'd have kept on going. I've picked up some train hoppers as well. They have interesting stories =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive