Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Every driver on the road has an obligation to keep traffic flowing smoothly. If you aren't comfortable driving at or near the speed limit, you should either get more comfortable or choose a different road. Just because you aren't in a hurry to get where you are going doesn't mean you are entitled to impact every one else on the same road as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Every driver on the road has an obligation to keep traffic flowing smoothly. If you aren't comfortable driving at or near the speed limit, you should either get more comfortable or choose a different road. Just because you aren't in a hurry to get where you are going doesn't mean you are entitled to impact every one else on the same road as you.
Every driver on the road has an obligation to keep traffic flowing smoothly. If you aren't comfortable driving at or near the speed limit, you should either get more comfortable or choose a different road. Just because you're in a hurry or have a need for speed doesn't mean you are entitled to impact every one else on the same road as you.

See how nicely that works both ways?

If you're not comfortable driving at or near the speed limit, you should plan better and leave earlier, or you should find a race track, depending on the cause of your discomfort at driving at or near the speed limit.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I can stand people who pull out right in front of you in town, and then drive 20 mph in a 35 mph zone. They just HAD to hurry and pull in front of you so they could drive 20 mph. Idiots.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
"Everyone who drives faster than me is an idiot. Everyone who drives slower than me is a jerk." --the late George Carlin.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
I drive at whatever speed I feel is safe up to the speed limit and even 5-10 over in some instances. A slow driver in the left lane can be annoying if you got some place to be, but some jerk riding my ***** on a 2 lane road in a rain storm or on a foggy morning is worse IMO. People just don't realize how many people die every year in auto accidents from driving too fast. Driving the speed limit in poor weather conditions is driving too fast in a lot of scenarios. The seep limit is the maximum speed and not the minimum speed. I commute in a 4 wheel drive truck with mud and snow tires in the winter, and I still get people flying past me in their cars giving me dirty looks because I don't feel the need to drive 45MPH in town while there is snow and Ice on the ground. I typically drive 10 miles under or even slower if there is several inches of snow on the ground in the morning. I can't tell you how close I've been to getting in an accident while still being this cautious. It blows me away that every time it snows in my city, there are literally hundreds of accidents throughout my city just from the morning commute, and 90% of them are caused by people driving too fast for the conditions.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Please disregard those complaining about "aggressive" drivers in D.C. and its surroundings. It is not uncommon to be on I-270 or I-70 in a 20-car daisy chain due to the one person invariably from Pennsylvania who refuses to move right. Due to the fact that states can no longer afford to expand interstate highways, the only way to move traffic through the present infrastructure is to pass "left lane passing only" laws, which many states have done. From my experience, it works phenomenally in Colorado. Another state which I give high marks for their "a$$ in gear" driving acumen (Georgia) is taking the legislation a step further. Left lane lubbers beware:

â

Do cops in Colorado and Georgia actually ticket drivers for impeding traffic in the left lane?

In Michigan and Ohio, the cops are useless in this regard. They only time they look at you is if you are driving more than 10 over the posted speed limit. I-75 in Ohio is lined with Buckeye drivers who do not know what "slower traffic keep right" means.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Do cops in Colorado and Georgia actually ticket drivers for impeding traffic in the left lane?

In Michigan and Ohio, the cops are useless in this regard. They only time they look at you is if you are driving more than 10 over the posted speed limit. I-75 in Ohio is lined with Buckeye drivers who do not know what "slower traffic keep right" means.
I'm going to presume for the sake of the police that they're mostly interested in catching people who are actually breaking a law, which doesn't necessarily include everyone else's idea of "impeding traffic," especially if the "impede" happens to be at the speed limit.

If I were travelling at the speed limit in the left lane, regardless how many people might be behind me, I think I'd beat an "impeding traffic" ticket in court, and that cop would likely get a stern admonition from the judge.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm going to presume for the sake of the police that they're mostly interested in catching people who are actually breaking a law, which doesn't necessarily include everyone else's idea of "impeding traffic," especially if the "impede" happens to be at the speed limit.

If I were travelling at the speed limit in the left lane, regardless how many people might be behind me, I think I'd beat an "impeding traffic" ticket in court, and that cop would likely get a stern admonition from the judge.

I am referring to people driving at speeds below the posted maximum speed limit.

In Michigan, all trucks are supposed to stay in the right 2 lanes of a freeway with 3 or more lanes. However, it is surprising how many trucks are cruising in the left lane with no police intervention.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I was in business I employed people like you to be my proof readers. Paid them about $10 an hour.

Don
Does that mean Hell shouldn't be capitalized? By the way, the comment was a joke, playing on your mistake after claiming you needed no corrections.

Interesting though, that a businessman lacks "$10 an hour" skills common among 3rd graders in Catholic school; indeed you appear to take pride in that. Funny.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-28-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
In my area, the really slow drivers are most likely high and smoking weed as they weave around in their own lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive