Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 PM

12 posts, read 12,625 times

Advertisements

I was driving along I-95 south of Fairfield cruising ~65-70 today. Then, the right and middle lane was full of drivers who were going 45-50. Then in the left lane you had this truck going 60. Every half mile, the truck tapped the brakes to 50MPH and slowed a half mile of traffic. Why do people drive so slow? Same on the Merritt also, the right lane moves 45-50 although the left lane moves 80-90 but brakes constantly because a moron merges going 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
It's a limit, not a requirement. Some people don't want to drive that fast.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Umm -- let me take a wild guess. Because the speed limit is the Maximum, not the Minimum permissible speed?

Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Yep, I drive at the speed that I feel comfortable at. Sometimes I go 40 in a 45 or 60 on the 70mph interstate. Not all of us left home late and are rushing to get somewhere, some of us plan ahead.

However, on a two lane road I do drive the speed limit to not inconvenience other drivers who have somewhere to be. But if someone gets on my ass, my foot gets lighter on the gas pedal.

Don

Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Because they drive a Prius?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Um. I think driving 45 on a road with a posted limit of 70 (and most people drive around that) is pretty dangerous. People blow by you like you're standing still. There's a reason you can get ticketed for not going with the flow of traffic.

I don't care if someone is going 60 in a 70 as long as they stay the EFF out of the left lane. Instead, I get people chronically just hanging out there, oblivious to the fact that people are passing them on the right and there is a giant line behind them.

What is THAT about?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, I drive at the speed that I feel comfortable at. Sometimes I go 40 in a 45 or 60 on the 70mph interstate. Not all of us left home late and are rushing to get somewhere, some of us plan ahead.

However, on a two lane road I do drive the speed limit to not inconvenience other drivers who have somewhere to be. But if someone gets on my ass, my foot gets lighter on the gas pedal.

Don
So you're smug and passive-aggressive. Got it.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 PM

419 posts, read 846,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piesquared View Post
Then, the right and middle lane was full of drivers who were going 45-50.
Once I changed my flat tire on the side of a freeway. The warning on the spare said not to exceed 45mph. I stayed in the right lane until I could get off the freeway at the nearest exit. Other drivers seemed pissed though; understandable - they couldn't see my spare tire.

Other times in the right lane, I will gradually ease off of the accelerator down to 50mph if a driver has been tailing me too close.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,775 times
Think about it. The far left lane is for people who want to pass. Speeds there are unlimited. If you're attentive, you move into the middle lane from there when people want to go faster than you. The middle lane is the main travel lane. The sweet spot where you don't have to think about overtaking or merging cars. The right lane is where you are if your exit is coming up or you want to poke along. Right lane sucks because you constantly have to watch for merging traffic. So depending on your mood, you may pass slower cars in the left lane and pop back into the middle to let faster cars go by. It appears everyone is going slower but without an overhead view, you can't tell it's just a big game of *******.

Last edited by harpoonalt; 04-27-2014 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: ****** = frog ger....why is that dirty?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Think about it. The far left lane is for people who want to pass. Speeds there are unlimited. If you're attentive, you move into the middle lane from there when people want to go faster than you. The middle lane is the main travel lane. The sweet spot where you don't have to think about overtaking or merging cars. The right lane is where you are if your exit is coming up or you want to poke along. Right lane sucks because you constantly have to watch for merging traffic. So depending on your mood, you may pass slower cars in the left lane and pop back into the middle to let faster cars go by. It appears everyone is going slower but without an overhead view, you can't tell it's just a big game of *******.
Well, technically it's not "unlimited" speed in the left lane, you do still have a limit, but the rest of what you said is pretty accurate. If you're not passing, get out of the left lane.

Also, it is dangerous to be driving too slow, and that has been pointed out. So before anyone acts like they are better than those who drive the actual speed limit, remember that you CAN get ticketed for driving too slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive