Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 807 times

Advertisements

I am buying a car that have a lien on it but I didn't known this at the time I bought this car. Do I need to keep the car or get my down payment back and give them the car back for another car. please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,986,515 times
the dealer should have cleared the lien before selling the car. if it still has the lien on it i would return the car, get my money back, and go to another dealer.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,853,020 times
I agree with the previous poster.

I've never heard of a bank (or other institution), cutting a check until they had a clean title, (they pay previous debts so they can assume clear ownership), before they then create a new loan for you.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,197,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlenecrawford View Post
I am buying a car that have a lien on it but I didn't known this at the time I bought this car. Do I need to keep the car or get my down payment back and give them the car back for another car. please help.
Every bill of sale I've ever seen for cars sales contains the following clause, or a close variation. That information is also on the title, right? Bill of sale has something like,

"I (individual or dealer's name) sell this car to (buyer's name) free and clear of any liens or encumbrances." Of course, if there are liens, they are itemized.

In fact I pulled the paperwork on my 2007 Toyota Xrunner, w/trade in and down payment, since I have it scanned and searchable (PDF). The Order Sheet (during the deal, late 2006) had a section for "liens" and listed details of my trade-in (with money owed) and down payment, plus of course financing info and vehicle cost (all four corners of the deal's four square).

In turn, the WA State title issued for the new truck listed the new lien holder, my credit union. Title is (was) held by the lien holder.

When I paid it off, title sent to me by lien holder indicating fulfillment of the obligation. State then issued a new title free and clear of any liens or encumbrances.

Thus, this doesn't make any sense unless I'm missing some key point or (more probably) there is much more to the story. Otherwise, my first reaction would be either (pick one) criminal misrepresentation of the vehicle, unsophisticated buyer, or some sort of screw-up on either (or both) ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive