Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

I rarely have had close calls;really. I use to do an lot of driving and decide long ago that it was my best chance of dying on job. I not only drove defensively and still do. But service my company car like it was my own. Not to say I have been at redlight etc when someone ran the light that if I had entered on green without looking I wouldn't have been .I have actually witnessed lot of them tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i get over them very quickly. life happens, and you cant dwell on things that may have happened but didnt.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
..........PTSD is for people like soldiers who experience the stress of combat. Its not for ordinary every day events.
That's wrong. Soldiers do not have an exclusive on PTSD.

Fairly "ordinary" events cause PTSD all the time.

Last edited by Listener2307; 06-04-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
It usually goes right over my head but i've never had that much close calls.

I almost hit a jaywalker today actually who literally just ran into traffic with her headphones in. but it wanst that bad, i had time to break (without breaking hard).

Most of my close calls are with debris on the freeway.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 PM

466 posts, read 700,945 times
Live and learn. Have had a number of close calls in the 20 years behind the wheel, more than I care to recall. Each one takes maybe a day or two to get over, sometimes later that night even. Fortunately lessons have been learned with each one, so I have learned to be a very defensive driver.

However, one sits in my head pretty vividly.

Details fade like where we were going, but I was the first car sitting at a light waiting to turn left onto a local highway from a side street. My wife and kids were with me. Light turns green and after a moment as I take my foot off the brake and my foot is in the air between the brake and gas pedal, I decide to look left. What meets my gaze is a dump truck going full bore and not even to the light yet. Fortunately have time to put my foot back on the brake as he is going well over the 55 mph speed limit with no intentions of stopping. He was probably 2+ truck lengths from the light when it turned red--not even an "orange" light so to speak. Needless to say if I had moved forward normally at the green light this speeding dump truck would have wiped out everything, literally and figuratively.

Now if I am the first car at an intersection, I look both ways before I go at a green no matter what.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I had a punk make a left turn right in front of me and if I did not slam on my brakes I would have destroyed his little Saturn. I need a new vehicle anyway but I would have just hit his passenger side. If I could have put this guy on the other side of the dirt and gotten a pay day for it since he would have been at fault I would have a good laugh about it. Darwin works against the irresponsible.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I shake it off basically as soon as it's past. I remember it but don't see the point in being fearful or anything like that.

One of my friends got into a minor fender bender a few years ago and still talks about the "trauma" and her "PTSD." It's utterly pathetic.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:24 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,413 times
I was 17 and had just gotten my drivers license. I'm driving down a main street at 6:30 am (headed to school) when I see a car stopped at a pedestrian crossing even though its green. My first thought is that he must have passed out from drinking. So I change lanes and accelerate passed him. As I'm passing the stopped vehicle, an old lady steps out in front of my car and I missed hitting her by inches. So my driving career nearly ended before it even began.

But looking back I can't help but laugh because the old lady took a swing at me as I drove by. Even at her old age she was so feisty.

LOL

Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Had a close call on the highway on Saturday. I'm driving in the right lane and a car was coming up the onramp and I didn't get over. I had someone to the left of me in the other lane so i just continued driving. The car didn't slow down and tried to force its way on the highway and came close to my front end.

Lots of people don't understand what yield means. Or they do but don't care. They think the onramp is a wide open lane and they dont have to stop if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive