Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 Mistsubishi Lancer Sportback. 95K miles; paid for. I'm the only owner. It's been very reliable.

Last summer, the AC started to go the fritz. Took it to the shop -- I use the Mitsu dealer -- in September for my 90K-mile tune-up and some other maintenance things, and told them about the AC.

Problem: it blows cool for a while, then tepid, then cool. As time has gone on, the "cool" periods have gotten shorter and the "tepid" periods have gotten longer. Recently, it's gone from cool for a few minutes...to HOT. It blows hot air. The intensity of the air speed/pressure/whatever never changes. There's a smell of freon -- like a freezer -- that comes and goes as the air blows cool to hot.

In September, they ran a "diagnostic" and "recharged" it and told me it was running like a champ. It wasn't. (That part of the September bill was about $115.)

A couple weeks ago we had our first hot (almost 80-degrees) day, and the AC blew cool...then blew hot. I called to make an appointment and took the car to the shop. They told me the problem was the AC expansion valve. Parts and labor quote: $450.

I authorized the repair, but the next day they called to say it still wasn't working, and now they'd diagnosed the problem as being a faulty AC evaporator. Parts and labor quote: an additional $600.

I authorized the repair, picked up my car, paid the $1048 bill. That day was a cool day and the AC worked just fine. Next day was cool outside, and the AC worked. Same with the next couple days.

YESTERDAY was a hot day. AC worked for 10 minutes, then blew hot air. Last night, as it was cool outside, I got back in the car and the AC worked fine. This morning, as it was cool outside, the AC worked fine.

Took the car back to the shop this morning. They called again and said they'd diganosed the problem as being a faulty compression clutch. New parts and labor quote: $400.

I've spoken with the manager and we've reached an agreement with respect to what I will or will not pay. But here's my question to all you car guys: Are they on the right track? Can I reasonably expect that THIS will finally fix the problem?

After 4 tries and what will be $1350 total for all 4 tries, I'm really starting to have a crisis of confidence that they are resolving this issue for me.

Please don't tell me what I SHOULD have done. I can't change what's already been done. But any tips for going forward?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM

232 posts, read 632,870 times
I'd say it's freezing/icing over and would go after the evaporator and dryer, evac the system and reservice. I don't see how the clutch on the compressor will have you getting cold air and then hot air other then them coming up with an excuse that something else is wrong while they replace a part they already replaced again. I am no pro on this and have little experience, but that would be my guess.

Also....these are professionals right? People that have training, experience and are certified? Because they don't sound like it since they seem to be guessing what the problem is and probably charging you money for their wrong guesses.

edit: Run your car with the AC on full blaste. When it stops blowing cold air, look at your compressor and see if it is still engaged, usually indicated by the armature plate spinning (it's a plate right in front of your A/C compressor's pulley....there is a bearing and coil inside the pulley. When the A/C isn't on, your pulley is spinning on the bearing, seperate from the armature plate. When you turn the A/C on, the coil energizes and the armature plate becomes a magnet and locks your pulley onto itself and starts turning your compressor...something like that) On my car, if my A/C isn't on, the armature plate is stationary, but I am not sure if that is true for all compressors. Turn off your A/C to see if your armature plate is stationary while the pulley spins. If it is stationary, then if you got your AC on, armature plate spinning and it's not blowing cold air, it's probably a good indication that the problem does not involve your A/C clutch.

Last edited by Herc130; 04-01-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
On my car there is a relay that would go bad, cost around $45 new (and it's European) which would cause the a/c to switch on and off. Basically the relay told the a/c that the radiator fan was on and available, and without it the a/c wouldn't come on as the car would overheat.

If the a/c blows cold then hot then cold either its low on refrigerant, the clutch is acting up, or there is an electrical issue. Listen outside, if you can get the clutch clicking on and off it's probably got a leak somewhere. But they would be able to diagnose that with gauges. Sure seems like they are guessing...I'd take it to an a/c shop.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I have a 2004 Mistsubishi Lancer Sportback. 95K miles; paid for. I'm the only owner. It's been very reliable.

Last summer, the AC started to go the fritz. Took it to the shop -- I use the Mitsu dealer -- in September for my 90K-mile tune-up and some other maintenance things, and told them about the AC.

Problem: it blows cool for a while, then tepid, then cool. As time has gone on, the "cool" periods have gotten shorter and the "tepid" periods have gotten longer. Recently, it's gone from cool for a few minutes...to HOT. It blows hot air. The intensity of the air speed/pressure/whatever never changes. There's a smell of freon -- like a freezer -- that comes and goes as the air blows cool to hot.

In September, they ran a "diagnostic" and "recharged" it and told me it was running like a champ. It wasn't. (That part of the September bill was about $115.)

A couple weeks ago we had our first hot (almost 80-degrees) day, and the AC blew cool...then blew hot. I called to make an appointment and took the car to the shop. They told me the problem was the AC expansion valve. Parts and labor quote: $450.

I authorized the repair, but the next day they called to say it still wasn't working, and now they'd diagnosed the problem as being a faulty AC evaporator. Parts and labor quote: an additional $600.

I authorized the repair, picked up my car, paid the $1048 bill. That day was a cool day and the AC worked just fine. Next day was cool outside, and the AC worked. Same with the next couple days.

YESTERDAY was a hot day. AC worked for 10 minutes, then blew hot air. Last night, as it was cool outside, I got back in the car and the AC worked fine. This morning, as it was cool outside, the AC worked fine.

Took the car back to the shop this morning. They called again and said they'd diganosed the problem as being a faulty compression clutch. New parts and labor quote: $400.

I've spoken with the manager and we've reached an agreement with respect to what I will or will not pay. But here's my question to all you car guys: Are they on the right track? Can I reasonably expect that THIS will finally fix the problem?

After 4 tries and what will be $1350 total for all 4 tries, I'm really starting to have a crisis of confidence that they are resolving this issue for me.

Please don't tell me what I SHOULD have done. I can't change what's already been done. But any tips for going forward?

Thanks.
So basically, they're throwing parts at it in the hopes it will work, and they keep charging you for their own incompetence. Here's what I'd do going forward...

1) I hope you paid for the repairs with a credit card.

2) I hope you haven't paid your credit card bill yet.

3) Tell your credit card issuer that you are refusing to pay the portion of your bill attributable to the repairs because the service you paid for was not provided.

4) Let your credit card issuer and the dealership fight it out.

5) Find a competent repair shop that will do it right once and for all, particularly one that specializes in A/C repair.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So basically, they're throwing parts at it in the hopes it will work, and they keep charging you for their own incompetence. Here's what I'd do going forward...

1) I hope you paid for the repairs with a credit card.

2) I hope you haven't paid your credit card bill yet.

3) Tell your credit card issuer that you are refusing to pay the portion of your bill attributable to the repairs because the service you paid for was not provided.

4) Let your credit card issuer and the dealership fight it out.

5) Find a competent repair shop that will do it right once and for all, particularly one that specializes in A/C repair.
That is EXACTLY what they're doing! Wow. Just wow...

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
The system leaked out and was probably just refilled with coolant. The system needs to be vacuum checked and pass that test, holding full vacuum, when it does that, then it can be filled.

Each time the system is opened to install a part it should be vacummed tested, and the reality is must be tested to pass.

It is possible to charge a system not under vacuum, but that is cheating, and asking for any moisture from thin air to freeze inside the system, which will stop the proper function.

With all these parts I'ld have to say where ever it is you are taking the car no one understand how the AC should work in the first place. They don't apppear to know to search for leaks, or if they do thy can't find the leaks.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
It sounds like you may have a freon leak. Have a shop test that with blue dye. One summer i had my 90 Tbird filled with freon & by the next summer it had all leaked out. I havent used a/c in my car in about 6 yrs. It gets awfully hot here in so.ca but i just deal with it. A/c though is awfully nice to have. My compressor on the Tbird makes a buzzing sound when its on. My cousin (mechanic for over 30 yrs) told me the unit is going out. I currently drive my 85 olds & the unit is empty. I think to recharge it would cost about a 100 bucks. Ill just lower my windows.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
I'd really like to find out the end results. I have a 2005 mitsubishi lancer, 90,000 miles. I've had the problem for a couple years now and am getting used to the hot Houston summers in my car blowing hot air. I've taken it to some places that say my a/c is fine and just needs more freon. I've told them that that's not it. They just look at me like I'm a girl and don't know anything. I've taken it to places that say it's the compressor and that'll cost $1,000 to repair. I've read forums that say it's the relay, others, a possibly corroded panel under my glove compartment and others say it's the clutch. Prior to spending a gargantuan amount of money weeding out the possibilities, I'd like to know what did work for you?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I wonder if "Angie's List" or a similar consumer rating list would have any recommendation for an auto AC shop that knew how to fix the AC instead of how to fleece consumers. I suggest finding a shop that specializes in Auto AC.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
These guys are just parts changers and have no idea as to whats wrong.

Part of checking an AC system is the electrical which would be the clutch !!!!

They got you on the evaporator because they most likely damaged it while replacing the expansion valve.

If you allow then to replace the clutch they will call you back and tell you that you need a compressor next !!!!

If the expansion valve was bad then at the same time the receiver drier should have been replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive